Neurontin hangover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neurontin hangover

Sometimes I take a 100 mg Neurontin around 8 pm, and the effects are hanging on and worse in the morning. Does it take this long for the med to get through our systems?

I wonder why this only happens some of the time. Other times it doesn't even work on the pain at all. Or just barely.

I canceled a dental appointment this morning because I was afraid the numbing shots would compound the woozy feeling left over by the neurontin.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

It's been a very long time since I've been on Neurontin, but I had the worst hangover/cotnitive intolerence with it for the first 6-9 months.

I think I had my last MS remission that coincided with improved tolerence, followed by an alergic reaction with untreatable face & body hives. My then neuro took me off of it due to the hives. I was feeling so good (undx at the time) that I made a case to continue taking it, because I have a history of hives that coincided with what I now know was early un-dx MS exacerbations.

I tried taking it again when a new neuro pushed it on me, I mentioned my history with the earlier Neurontin intolerence, and hives, etc., but wanting to avoid being a 'non-compliant patient' I caved in. By the 2nd dose my eyes were swollen closed and I was covered in large red/purple hives everywhere. My intolerence and hives are not typical reactions for Neurontin, but I don't tolerate it.

Is Neurontin a somewhat new rx for you, or have you been on it for a while? It was a real rough many months when I was taking it. I hope you figure this out, maybe talk with your doc about lowering your dose, and work up very slowely if higher dose is needed?

Comment

I take 800 mg 3 times a day. I don't ever feel hung over but there are days that I feel just fine and others that I feel "off". I don't know if that is the medication or the MS. I also have days of little pain and days it feels like nothing is working. I'm interested in what others have to say.

Comment

I don't know how long it takes to flush from your system. However, when I only took it as needed, I never got used to the "zombie effect" either. Since I've had to be on a steady dose the last couple years, I'm completely used to the side effects and do not get the hangover at all. Perhaps going on a full-time dose might be a consideration for you.

Comment

HI there Marti~

I am on 100mg of Gabapentin. I am supposed to take it at bedtime. It doesn't give me the AM hangover, whereas 300mg I was on did. It helps a little with pain, but not for long. I take it with Baclofen so it makes me sleepy during the day at times.

I am having an awful time finding pain relief as with one kidney, my poor kidney is overworked metabolizing all that I take in a day. AND because of 1 kidney I cannot take RX Diclofenac (NSAID) which really worked for inflammation with the Baclofen.

Let me know how it helps or not. Maybe you need it more than 1x a day? Or a bigger dose maybe?

Warmly, Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
          X