Baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen

For those who have quit taking oral Baclofen I am wondering what side effects let to that decision?

This past week has been rough for me. I went to neuro on Monday and he rx'ed Baclofen. I was to start on 20 mg/day and then after 3 days go up to 40 mg/day.
    He also decided that my fatigue is caused by depression, so he insisted that I start back on an antidepressant that I had stopped taking because of the headaches I got when taking it.

So on Tuesday I took the antidepressant (being a good patient ) and started the baclofen. Late afternoon I started feeling crappy - flu like aches and fever.

Wednesday morning I woke up with the mother of all headaches, and fever. I decided no more of that antidepressant for me again - EVER! I continued with the Baclofen, but had the flu like feeling all day. And the fever got worse.

Thursday I still couldn't get warm. I spent all day in flannel pjs with the heat turned up high. I couldn't figure out what was causing this - no gastro problems, no coughing sneezing runny nose, Nothing I could see that would cause this miserable achy feverish feeling.
    The fever finally 'broke' about 2 am Friday morning. AHH so nice to finally feel warm again.

Since DH was so worried about what had caused this (me too if truth be known) I went to PCP on Friday and saw his PA. I spend all afternoon having tests run, but in the end she still didnt have any answers. My white cell count was low ( I didnt think to suggest that G. could cause that until I was home), and she saw some 'markers' to suggest a viral infection?
    But she really latched on to the depression stuff instead of my concern with the fever .

I have not went up to 40 mg on the baclofen, and the achy feeling is still hanging around. I dont know if it whatever I had earlier this week or if it could be a side of this new med.

Hi msgijo,

It sounds like you very well could be experiencing a coincidence. The timing of getting sick with the start of new medications Under those circumstances it is very easy to be concerned it was all due to the medication(s).

I have not went up to 40 mg on the baclofen, and the achy feeling is still hanging around. I dont know if it whatever I had earlier this week or if it could be a side of this new med
    Baclofen doesn't typically cause aching, in fact, Baclofen can help improve aching especially if related to spasticity.

Information about Baclofen:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...s/a682530.html

I hope your Neurologist explained that you need to increase (taper on) Baclofen slowly and if you go off you need to decrease (taper off) slowly.

When taking new medications it's always best to not start them at the same time. If you develop side effects you will know which medication is causing the side effects.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

could you be having an allergic reaction?
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
        could you be having an allergic reaction?
        Ditto.

This may or may not just be a coincidence. Just because something is not listed or known as a possible side effect doesn't mean it couldn't be one for you.

I developed dangerously high fevers while on Rebif and spent 3 months hospitalized with them. It was a miseable experience. No other cause could be found and their cyclical nature pointed to the drug. The neuro assigned my case refused to believe they were caused by the medication. Now, granted, I'd been on the drug for a few years before my body decided to react that way to it. But, it wasn't until I refused it (despite the neuro's insistence I continue taking it) that the fevers stopped. Even with that, he still insisted it was just a coincidence.

Months, then years, later(under the guidance of other neurologists), I tried to rechallenge my system again with the drug. Even with a very low dose, I developed a high fever within hours of taking it. Now there's absolutely no question the fevers were being caused by Rebif.

I encourage you to talk to your doctor. I don't think it's a medication you should rule out entirely from your repertoire unless you absolutely have to.

Good luck ,
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
          It sounds like you very well could be experiencing a coincidence.
          I am starting to lean towards this. My husband and I went out earlier today and ran into a friend of ours who is an RN that works in a local nursing home. She said that had the same thing last week and this week she had 6 of her patients with it . She suggested plenty of fluids and ibuprofen or something like that to keep the rest of symptoms at bay. She said that because I do have a low WBC that may be why it is taking me so long to fight this off.
          I hope your Neurologist explained that you need to increase (taper on) Baclofen slowly and if you go off you need to decrease (taper off) slowly.
          No he didnt but I did google the med before taking it and was aware of this. That is why I have been holding at half the dose the neuro wanted me to be on by now - so that if it was in fact something that someone had experienced I could get off of it quicker.
          When taking new medications it's always best to not start them at the same time. If you develop side effects you will know which medication is causing the side effects.
          I know - dumb move. But I had taken the antidepressant before and I knew what those side effects were. Headaches were why I quit taking it before.

Kimba22 I totally agree with you. Which is why this was so scary.
          Just because something is not listed or known as a possible side effect doesn't mean it couldn't be one for you.

And again you are entirely correct - this is a med that I want to take if at all possible.
          I don't think it's a medication you should rule out entirely from your repertoire unless you absolutely have to.

hunterd Why were you trying to scare me worse that I already was? I did think about this and after I saw your post tried to find any info about an allergic reaction, but alas couldnt find anything.

Thanks all. Now I just have to decide if tomorrow I want to go ahead and taper the rest of the way up or taper back off of the baclofen until this virus runs it's course Decisions, decisions ...

Comment

Originally posted by msgijo View Post
            Now I just have to decide if tomorrow I want to go ahead and taper the rest of the way up or taper back off of the baclofen until this virus runs it's course Decisions, decisions ...
            Prescribed medications are to be taken regardless if you are sick (virus, flu, ect) or not. If you were already at a therapeutic level would you taper off if you were to get sick?

If it's a matter of being unsure you want to take a medication at all, that is something different

Just some thoughts

Hope you are feeling better soon
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks Snoopy.

I DO want to take Baclofen, was happy when neuro decided to rx it without me having to argue for it . Since it does take a while to fully get into your system it IS kinda crazy to back off now - especially since I can already see a small improvement (even at this low dose and having been on it such a short time). So ok - today I will go from 1/2 the full dose to 2/3 full dose

I am feeling a little better each day. My challenge now is to NOT overdo to make up for the days I did nothing around here

Comment

scaring you was not an intention, i just wanted to make sure everything was taken into consideration is all.
                hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                volunteer
                MS World
                hunterd@msworld.org
                PPMS DX 2001

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
                  scaring you was not an intention, i just wanted to make sure everything was taken into consideration is all.
                  I know huntred, and I do appreciate it. Please accept my apologizes if I offended with my post. I was trying to make light of the situation ...

That is the one drawback to 'talking' online - smilies just dont convey the feelings a facial expression or tone of voice would. And a "jk" behind the post I made didnt seem right either

I want to thank everyone again for hanging in there with me while I was freaking out, thinking that this one med I really wanted was causing all those problems, and then discovering that it is just a virus that is going around. That I caught at the MOST inopportune time.
                  I am still not back at 100%, but I did feel well enough to cook dinner today.

I went up to 30 mg / day of Baclonfin today. Plan to be at prescribed dose of 40 mg/day by Wednesday.

Comment

lol, been there,done that!
                    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                    volunteer
                    MS World
                    hunterd@msworld.org
                    PPMS DX 2001

Comment

2 MS meds

I inquired about a MS study, I am currently on Copaxone and the study is for baclofen. They said I would continue on both? Does this sound correct, why would you take meds at once? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Queen Lavee View Post
                        I inquired about a MS study, I am currently on Copaxone and the study is for baclofen. They said I would continue on both? Does this sound correct, why would you take meds at once? Thanks
                        Copaxone is a Disease Modifying Therapy medication for the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis. These treatments are to hopefully slow progression, hopefully decrease lesion load and hopefully reduce the amount of exacerbations (relapse, attack, flare-up). Disease Modifying Therapies are not meant to help with symptom management, although some find this to be the case.

Baclofen is a symptom management medication used in the treatment of spasticity (stiffness/tightness, muscle spasms, and the associated pain).

It is not uncommon to be on both a Disease Modifying Drug and symptom management medications.
                        Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Copaxone is a Disease Modifying Therapy medication for the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis. These treatments are to hopefully slow progression, hopefully decrease lesion load and hopefully reduce the amount of exacerbations (relapse, attack, flare-up). Disease Modifying Therapies are not meant to help with symptom management, although some find this to be the case.

Baclofen is a symptom management medication used in the treatment of spasticity (stiffness/tightness, muscle spasms, and the associated pain).

It is not uncommon to be on both a Disease Modifying Drug and symptom management medications.
                          Thanks so much for the explanation, makes perfect since.

Comment

Working...
                          X