Need recommendations for a sleep aid!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need recommendations for a sleep aid!

I have been taking Trazodone what seems like forever. I started with 50 mg years ago and it was effective for some time. Slept within 20 min and got peaceful sleep thoughout the night. But I built up tolerance to it and now take 75 mg.

My problem is it take forever to kick in - it gets progressively worse and sometimes takes 4 hours before I'm sleepy. I've tried 100mg but it gives me a hangover in the morning.

Before I talk to my pcp, I'm wondering what you all take who have this problem? Do you wake up feeling fine and sleep throughout the night? Which ones should I definitely avoid?

Help! Sleepless north of Seattle!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Trazodone doesn't work that well for me, either. My docs never had a problem increasing the dose. But the dose I needed to sleep well left me feeling awful the next day.

There are other meds used off label for sleep. Seroquel, Amitryptiline, and Doxepin come to mind. (I tried Seroquel, but it caused rapid weight gain for me, so went off that pretty quick.) Don't know if they would work any better for you than Trazodone, though.

The sleeping med Ambien (zolpidem) kicks in quickly. You would only want to start with 1/2 the dose you are prescribed (now 5 mg is all that is prescribed for women - just use a pill cutter. It used to be as much as 10 mg for both men and woman.) 2.5 mg may be all you need to sleep well through the night. It's also hard to know how it will make you feel the next day until you try it.

The only problem I've had with Ambien is it doesn't work as well if I need to fall back to sleep after I wake up. My doctor told me this sometimes happen with this drug, because it has a short half-life. But, that might not happen to you at all.

Hope you find something that helps get some sleep!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hi Seasha,

Have you thought about trying Melatonin?

I have never tried it but I have the opposite problem --- trying to stay awake
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

There's also

Valerian. It's an herb you can buy in any pharmacy department or health food store.

Comment

Google a product called "Natural Calm" and add it to a herbal tea for sleep.

Inexpensive, non-toxic, you'll sleep longer, and the magnesium and calcium in Natural Calm will reduce leg spasticity and improve bowel regularity.

Comment

Hi Seasha,

Here is more information about Melatonin and Valerian (make sure you click on all the tabs.)

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...TONIN&source=0

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...tname=valerian

You might also want to google Dr. Oz and Melatonin

Good luck!
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions! I have tried valerian over a period of time with no success and also take calcium and mag every night. I've also tried melatonin years ago, but maybe it's time to revisit it. I'll talk with my naturopath about it when I see her at my next appt in a few weeks.

Again thanks. I'd really like to take a more natural approach!

Comment

Lunesta, there are quite a few generics some work better for me than others for some reason, perhaps the fillers. I tried all the natural stuff which worked ok years ago now none of it works.

I also use mj when Lunesta stops working or if I have to up the dosage then I get off it and use mj for a few months back and forth.

Comment

I use Trazedone too. 50 mg. And, like you, it was effective for a good long time. I don't use it nightly, so I now get by with taking 100 mg (2 pills) at a time.

I'm ready to begin to request 100 mg pills. I like Trazedone because it is not a narcotic, and I experience no side effects with it. It is also inexpensive. I pay $4 for 30 pills.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I also use Trazadone. It somehow lost its effect. I was on 100mgs. I cut back to 50 with a 1/2 of a 1mg. ativan and helps. I still get broken sleep but I love when I can get a straight 4 hours. I have had sleep disorder for years.

My best.....
                    Susie

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                    RRMS
                    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Other options to try that are not meds:
                      - Hot Chamomile tea. No sugar. No caffeine.
                      - Don't let your mind wander. Either empty it. Or, sing yourself a lullaby or a soothing song.
                      - If I am stewing over things, I like to hear this song in my mind: "I Cast All My Cares Upon You". Can be found on YouTube. i just sing it, in my mind, slowly and quietly, as a prayer until I fall asleep.
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Sleep medicine

Since my MS diagnosis I have tried a few sleep meds.
                        I started with Ambien it worked for a while but I kept waking up at 2:00 am.
                        Next was Ambien CR it worked well but the copay I had was too high.
                        It tried rozerum it didn't work at all.
                        I am currently taking temazepam. It works well for me.
                        The worst thing about temazepam is it's a benzo like Xanax.
                        I can't stop the temazepam without tapering off of it.
                        I do not want the withdrawal symptoms.
                        I have been on temazepam for at least 6 years.

Comment

Your suggestions make me smile Faith

My mind is totally relaxed most of the time, don't drink caffeine past 10am and have tried camomile tea to no avail. I've had this problem for most of my life and now it's getting worse.

I think part of the problem I have is trying to get comfortable while trying to fall asleep. Seems like there's always a part of my poor body that aches or else I have these involuntary jerks in my left foot that come on every 30 seconds or so. When that happens (about once a week) I take 1/2 pill of flexeril - 5mg. on top of my 75 mg of trazadone

Well! That works and I fall asleep within a 1/2 hr instead of the 4 hours without the combo. No more jerking and I sleep through the night. But I don't want to just take flexeril indiscriminately as I don't want to get addicted to it.

I really need an different sleep aid or to try melatonin as suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                            I think part of the problem I have is trying to get comfortable while trying to fall asleep. Seems like there's always a part of my poor body that aches or else I have these involuntary jerks in my left foot that come on every 30 seconds or so. When that happens (about once a week) I take 1/2 pill of flexeril - 5mg. on top of my 75 mg of trazadone

Well! That works and I fall asleep within a 1/2 hr instead of the 4 hours without the combo. No more jerking and I sleep through the night. But I don't want to just take flexeril indiscriminately as I don't want to get addicted to it.
                            Flexeril is addictive? And I was not told of this years ago when first prescribed?

A good thing that I hate taking pills, and an even better thing that I despise the way I feel the day after taking one of these. I take them rarely - usually on the 2nd night of no sleep when the pain is just too much, and everything else has failed. Maybe once or twice a month.

I had never though about splitting them.

Comment

Originally posted by msgijo View Post
                              Flexeril is addictive? And I was not told of this years ago when first prescribed?
                              I guess what I meant by it being addictive is taking it every night to sedate me vs. using it for what it is intended for - spasms and a muscle relaxer. I use a pill splitter b/c they are very small pills.

I know what you mean about the way you feel the next day if you take a whole pill. It affects me too - thus 1/2 pill.

I don't think flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) is classified as being an addictive drug, but I read when used regularly and go off it, it causes withdrawal sx.

Comment

Working...
                              X