Cough/congestion with Tysabri?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cough/congestion with Tysabri?

I started Tysabri in June 2014. It is now December 2014 and I have had cough and congestion since my first infusion more often than not. I thought I had some virus that wouldn't go away but that is not the case. Now I always sound like I have a cold, people are afraid to come near me because they think I will infect them, and it is really annoying!

My MS doc said he doesn't think they are related but I can't help (and my other doctor agrees with me) thinking that this is from the Tysabri. Anyone else?

Tysabri does suppress your immune system which can leave you more open to catching anything that is going around. I have had 6 bad respiratory infections the last 12 months, 3 of which required prednisone. I had to miss 4 infusions during this period.

Since I have difficulty shaking the infections once I get them, I am having pulmonary function testing next week to see if anything is causing it. Allergies, asthma can contribute to this, as can MS. Sometimes people with MS don't breathe deep enough or don't exhale strong enough. So hoping to find cause and what then can be done to help.

If you look thru the Tysabri thread, you will see multiple posts related to this.

I do hope you feel better. I would push your neuro on this, even if you have to research it and bring articles to review.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

hi

sorry to hear what your going through, i'm in similar boat. coming up on 2nd infusion and sick again. A week after first infusion got sick, than after second infusion flu, now maybe pnuemonnia. heading bk to dr for more meds. i'm at the point where it's not about quantity of life it's about quality.

is it really worth it to walk around sick all the time? i just don't know..
      Jen Dx'd 5/11
      "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

Thanks

I am relieved someone is with me here. I did some checking into previous threads after your response and see the earlier posts.

My husband and I have concluded that I will just have this annoying cough/cold that comes and goes for....ever and I need to get used to it. Fun fun. Could be worse, I guess.

Comment

Working...
        X