Most common side effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most common side effects

I could refer to the literature but I don't have it yet and I want anecdotal input anyway. Horse's mouth, ya know. I start Gilenya on Wednesday and I am anticipating a headache, so I will pack Aleve. Anybody wanna chime in with their experience on the first dose? Time elapsed since then, and whether side effects have receded, stayed the same, or become worse?

To prepare as much as possible to fight these side effects and augment my health I started taking Vit. D (2000 IEU a day) Fish oil (1000 IEU a day) and drinking cranberry juice. No other juice ingredients but cranberry, sweetened (the unsweetened is awful), and I have yogurt on hand. I do NOT want UTIs or yeast infections.

Thoughts?

Hi Tarbaby,

I didn't have any side effects, that is until I started having UTIs. I finally had to go off the medication after the 2nd UTI led to other serious infections. I was one of those whose WBC counts got too low. My circumstances were highly unusual, though, which led up to developing the serious infections.

Other than that, I felt great while I was on it. Here's a list of possible side effects:
    http://www.drugs.com/sfx/gilenya-side-effects.html

I hope you do great on it! Oh, and I recommend taking a cranberry supplement (found in the vitamin isle). That & being diligent about your bloodwork!

Let us know how Wednesday went!

Good luck!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

headache

I've been on Gilenya since this past May, and as far as I know, the only side effect that I've had is a headache. I've also had a recurring backache, which might or might not be a side effect of Gilenya, since I've had back issues for years.

Kimba22, I found one of the side effects listed in the list of side effects on the webpage you gave as rather humorous:
      • burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings

Hmm...sounds a lot like paresthesia to me.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

RRMS, dx May 2013, on Gilenya from May '13 - Aug. 14
      Currently following Dr. Jelinek's OMS (Overcoming MS) plan

Comment

Ok, well today was D-Day. Took my first dose, and...

nothin'. No side effects, no unreasonably low heart rate, no headaches...cool.

Comment

Working...
        X