No announcement yet.

Gilenya and weight gain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm both happy and sad that I found this thread! I've put on about 14 pounds since starting Gilenya in November. I SO don't want it to be the Gilenya doing it! I have felt better since day one and I have the energy I had five years ago.

I use a wheelchair for events and when my husband and I go out because it's much faster than walking and a lot less tiring. (My legs are pretty MeSsed up!) I had lost a bunch of weight and am working on losing ore. My wheelchair was chosen because it was light and easy to transport, but I was at the top of the weight for it. Since I had already lost 40 pounds, I was sure I'd keep losing and I got the chair I wanted. Now I'm stressing because of the gain, which by the way chemically hinders weight loss, and I just want to get down to where I was in November ASAP.

I do have mild hypothyroidism and I'm going in to get that checked soon. I kinda hop that maybe the Gilenya is impairing the thyroid medication.
    -Nani
    dx 6/2011
    First symptom 4/1996

Comment

Yes, weight gain should have been a listed side effect!

I started taking Gilenya in 2008 when still in the study phase. I have gained 25 lbs since starting Gilenya and I know that I wasn't the only one in the study that had commented about it being an issue. My weight has been like a yo-yo while my diet has been unchanged. I do take the drug at night as I had issues when I first started that made taking it at night optimal. I have to say that I have been wheelchair free since July 2010 and wouldn't want it any other way so I'll deal with the extra weight that I have to carry along with me

Comment

Feeling very fat. Thanks alot Gilenya!

I have been on Gilenya for 6 months and gained 20 lbs. I really want to switch meds because of this. Anyone have the same issues? And if you did stop the Gilenya did the weight come off? Please help!

Comment

Weight Loss?

Originally posted by GandalfRA View Post
          I lost about 18 lbs since started taking Gylenia 90 days ago. I weight the same as when I was 18 and I am 41
          I wish I had the same experience, +30lbs here after 17 months 😠
          Tracy

Comment

weight gain and gilenya

I have been on gilenya since August and from august to mid-october i notice weight gain and then i lost weight back to my regular weight about +/- 8lbs.

Hope that helps.

I am pretty active (crossfit)

Comment

I've gained about 12 lbs in the year that ive been on G. My neuro thinks it's unrelated just like the depression I've been experiencing in a similar time frame. I suppose the depression could cause the gain, or vice versa or they could both be caused by G. Who knows!

Comment

Working...
              X