New Here. Looking for Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here. Looking for Support

My name is Missinda. I was diagnosed on September 27, 2012. Looking back on my records my neurologist realized I have had this for over 10 years. I also have narcolepsy so he was focused on getting that under control.

I am a single mom of three teenagers two are still at home. I go to school full time and graduate in May. I also work full time and raise my 3 month old granddaughter. My plate is way too full!

I went into an exacerbation last weekend, and it feels like my world is coming undone. I am so close to accomplishing some of my life long dreams and life was falling into place for the first time in a long time and then... I am so frustrated and overwhelmed by it all. It is to the point that I will experience something medically and look it up only to discover it is another MS symptom.

I have no family and no help except my children. actually only 1 of my children helps. One refuses to accept that there is anything wrong with me, and the other is autistic and I really don't think he gets it. My youngest daughter is the one stuck with it all and I feel so bad for her cause it just isn't fair for her to have to take care of me yet. So I feel very isolated and alone in this battle.

I know I will make it through it and that right now it is just harder than usual. I just wish it wasn't as hard as it is. I am normally a very positive person who doesn't let anything get me down. But, right now I am having a very difficult time being that person.

Hello and Welcome mmoss!

I so sorry you're having to go through so much. I am glad you've joined us though. We're here to help and support each other. You're not alone!

It's difficult to be positive when we're going through a lot, and that's understandable. Do you have anyone you can talk to? You could reach out to your local MS Society chapter, they offer counseling.

Maybe just being here with us will help. Feel free to browse through the forums. You can post any questions you may have, or just vent if you want. People here are caring and supportive.

Hopefully after your school is done you'll have a little more time for yourself. You do have a lot on your plate. I don't know how you do it. You must be a strong person!
    When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Hi Missinda and welcome! (I really like your name! ) I'm so sorry that you're going thru a rough time, but glad you reached out to us. I too was dx when I had 3 teenagers at home and was working full time. Not as much on my plate as you have right now!

My teenagers had their own lives to live and didn't pay much attention, beyond showing some sympathy to begin with. (Actually, one was pretty po'd at me!) Life went on for them which was was good, but I had to lay down some ground rules by way of them helping me. They lived and I think were better off in the long run knowing that life sometimes isn't quite fair or all about them! And I set some priorities myself.

Please don't give up hope! Your flare will be temporary and you will accomplish your goal of graduation. It's not too far off! Can you take some time off work right now? Do you have friends - neighbors who can help you with immediate needs?

I understand the frustration. Try to find some time for relaxation, set your priorities, and come here for emotional support. We have lots to give here in that department!

Take care of yourself!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi and welcome! I am sorry that we are having to meet under these circumstances. You do have a lot on your plate. I fear that I would be in similar circumstances, if I had a flare right now.

I would contact the local chapter and check to see if there are any support groups in your community for yourself and a group for you daughter, even if it is online.

Don't beat yourself up about your daughter. It is wonderful that she is willing to help and you will have plenty of time and plenty of ways that you can show your appreciation. This will likely make her stronger and compassionate.

I hope that your symptoms pass quickly and that you will be walking across that stage soon on grad.

Hang in there and you are not alone!

Comment

Working...
        X