Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pain in mid-left back, left side, chest. Hug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pain in mid-left back, left side, chest. Hug?

Started a couple of days ago with first a tender area on the left side of left breast and also the area next to it on the side. Thought maybe my bra caused it.

But then I started with pain in the middle of my back, just below shoulder blade and slightly to the left. It's a sort of achy throbbing pain and sometimes a sort of "burning" feeling that has remained pretty constant and has awakened me two nights in a row. It's not horrible pain but it is uncomfortable.

Had some mid chest pain too but that comes and goes and if I touch the chest it's almost tender. Doubt it's my heart and if it was on the right side I might think gallbladder.

Could this be what is called the "MS Hug"? I'm thinking it could also just be a pinched nerve.

Sometimes it does drift over to just the right side of the spine.

If it is nerve or MS related it might just be what pushes me to start on the Neurotin my neuro prescribed this week (for arm and other intermittent nerve pain). If been slow to want to take it but if this pain continues...well, I probably will.

Any input here folks?

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **
    Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Originally posted by bammaw View Post
    Started a couple of days ago with first a tender area on the left side of left breast and also the area next to it on the side. Thought maybe my bra caused it.

But then I started with pain in the middle of my back, just below shoulder blade and slightly to the left. It's a sort of achy throbbing pain and sometimes a sort of "burning" feeling that has remained pretty constant and has awakened me two nights in a row. It's not horrible pain but it is uncomfortable.

Had some mid chest pain too but that comes and goes and if I touch the chest it's almost tender. Doubt it's my heart and if it was on the right side I might think gallbladder.

Could this be what is called the "MS Hug"? I'm thinking it could also just be a pinched nerve.

Sometimes it does drift over to just the right side of the spine.

If it is nerve or MS related it might just be what pushes me to start on the Neurotin my neuro prescribed this week (for arm and other intermittent nerve pain). If been slow to want to take it but if this pain continues...well, I probably will.

Any input here folks?
    It's the hug. When I first had the hug,b dx,I thought I had lung cancer. And the hug can move allllll around 2 the oddest of places. Do not panic,it is,in fact,the hug.

Comment

Originally posted by juliebrush View Post
      It's the hug. When I first had the hug,b dx,I thought I had lung cancer. And the hug can move allllll around 2 the oddest of places. Do not panic,it is,in fact,the hug.
      It could be the hug. There are, however, other things it could be. I'd suggest getting it checked out by your doctor (PCP or neuro).

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
        It could be the hug. There are, however, other things it could be. I'd suggest getting it checked out by your doctor (PCP or neuro).
        Oh,oh my,It COULD be the hug. Sorry.

Comment

My hug feels tight and crushing...like a heart attack. People feel it differently but don't assume. Ask your doc just to be sure.

Comment

Today I tried to nap but the nagging achy thing wouldn't let me. Very annoying.

So I had my husband put some Aspircreme on it. I'm always up for a mini "massage" but I had to have him stop once he got the lotion rubbed in because it was very uncomfortable for him to rub that area of the back.

The discomfort was highly unusual for I get massages both professional and my sweet hubby. Weirdness.

The cream must have helped though for I was able to get about a 45 minute snooze. I needed it cuz friends are coming over for games and munchies and visiting. We call it "geezer night". Sure hope the pain doesn't distract me. Time for some advil I think.

Keep the input coming. Thank you.
            Susie

Comment

This was my worst symptom for YEARS..until I finally got DX and given help for spasticity in my legs. Turns out the meds I took for my legs and spinal stenosis helped my MS hug. I have never had it again after 20 plus years of misery.

Before I knew (and the docs knew) it was MS hug, I took RX Methocarbamol, a less drowsy muscle relaxant along with 3 pills 200 mg of Ibruprofin. When the squeezing took my breath away, I would wear a velcro back wrap to hold those muscles tighter and give them support. THAT really helped too.

Good luck..hope you get relief

Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I'm so sorry, I know the MS HUG can be awful. I take Nurontin & Bacolfin both,but for my feet the spacisty(sp).
                It has had a bonus as I haven't had any HUGS!LOL
                I would take the Nurontin,I Pray it helps.
                Nona Judy

Comment

You "guys" are so great to give me your input. So...tonight the "geezers" came over and we ended up just snacking and visiting..no games. Pain was still present but not bad and so all the distraction was a help I think.

Now it's late, I'm in my "jammies" and ready to hit the hay but along with the pain I've been having now my upper back (almost like it's the skin) seems real sensitive...sort of burning or irritated or something. Hope I can sleep tonight. Think I'll take an ibuprofen and see it that will help.

...and thanks for sharing with me. It helps to know I'm not alone. God bless you. Night night.
                  Susie

Comment

I was looking through some of my old threads and found this. I never told folks what the problem was. After a couple or so of days with the pain I noticed a rash on my back. First thought: oh, no...not chronic hives again! (12 years with them and then left as mysteriously as they came). Anyway, the after I first noticed the rash I saw it in a different spot and thought, "hm...I think it could be shingles". Yup, saw the doctor and by then the rash had gone from stem to stern....from left of the sternum across the left breast and around to the back just at the spine with maybe a spot or two on my left side that were free of the rash. Dr. said it was the worst she'd seen. Prescribed antiviral meds, I started on a prescription I had for neurontin and the dr gave me a topical xylocain cream to help. Thought most people can't stand clothing to touch their skin I found that if I wore my bra and a snug fitting cammie it helped keep surface irriation at bay. Good thing cuz I had to stay functioning to take care of my then 5 year old grandson and 91 year old mother.

There you have it...and update of an old story. If you find yourself with pain followed by a rash on one side of your body...get to the dr for it could be shingles. Not a fun thing.

Take care all.
                    Susie

Comment

I used to think my pains like yours were the HUG. But I've had a couple MRI's of my spine and found multiple bulging discs that cause all these symptoms and more. So, is it MS or is it back problems? I'm not sure. But I'm taking physical therapy right now to try to calm down my back, arm, chest etc pain.

Don't just count out all other possibilities. Explore.
                      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

good input Marti. Hope the physical therapy works. Can you afford to get a massage now and then? I have a membership with Massage Envy and for my mothly fee I get one hour long massage per month and a discount for additional ones. It really helps. One of the gals does a deeper massage in the muscles below the gluts and that helps the low back pain some.

Hope you find relief from your pain. Disc trouble can be very problematic. Add to that MS and well.....yikes!
                        Susie

Comment

Originally posted by bammaw View Post
                          good input Marti. Hope the physical therapy works. Can you afford to get a massage now and then? I have a membership with Massage Envy and for my mothly fee I get one hour long massage per month and a discount for additional ones. It really helps. One of the gals does a deeper massage in the muscles below the gluts and that helps the low back pain some.

Hope you find relief from your pain. Disc trouble can be very problematic. Add to that MS and well.....yikes!

Yes, I go for neuro muscular massage when I can. The therapist just had a baby so she's off right now. They feel so good while they're massaging, but it just doesn't last long enough. I recently pulled my groin so I will be adding more PT to what I'm getting for my discs.
                          Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Working...
                          X