What is really handicapped accessible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is really handicapped accessible?

Since I have been on crutches following surgery, I haven't been out much. But I have suddenly remembered something from my first surgery. Handicapped acessible is such a laugh!

Are there really bathrooms that are accessible? I mean I haven't really found any. Let me explain. There is a stall in the ladies room. But the problem is-I can't get the door to the bathroom open from the hallway. Once I get inside it is better. But the door is a pain in the patootie. Yesterday I had to ask a stranger in the hallway to open the door for me. I am glad I planned ahead of time-if you get my drift. Actually I went to the bathroom in three places and had to ask for help with the door to the ladies room every time.

I use the regular stall rather than the large stall. Why? I can balance myself better with the smaller stall than in the larger one.

Then, of course, you have to get out of the bathroom and there is again the door to the hallway issue.

Would anyone like to whine about handicapped accessible?

Have fun and hey-maybe make some suggestions.

lydialou

I agree there is much work to be done in designing handicapped bathrooms. Disabilities differ as do body sizes, etc. Some need a higher seat some cannot transfer uphill to a high seat. The laughs go on recently I've been trolling for posts where wheelchair handicapped get highly PO about others using "their" parking spaces and bathrooms. Hello! A high risk mom to be is disabled, a little person is disabled, visually impaired, cardiac diseased people and the list is endless. I see motorized scooters all over town yet when they load the scooter and go to Walmart, they need a close parking space. Or the large bathroom stall with sink is to be reserved for when on only if someone in a wheelchair deems a visit necessary. Yes I think it's okay for a mom with twins in a stroller to use the handicapped stall at the mall. It's not like she's planning on living in the tiny room, just needs to pee and protect her babes at the same time. Because I have MS fatigue I use the handicapped parking and because I have an ostomy I use handicapped stalls (if a sink is included). Oh and I also use the men's room in those crowded restaurants when the women's line is long and the men's room is not only vacant but equipted with a lock. Was at a convention a few years ago 6,000 women and 300 men. Mens bathrooms on one hall were temporarily changed to female. The men complained because they had to walk an extra 200 ft to the next men's room. Can't please everyone.

Comment

I truly believe that when a handicapped bathroom is being constructed they should consult a handicapped person.
      I am in a power chair and trust me there are very few bathrooms adequate enough.
      Some places have "family" bathrooms. That is my best bet, a whole room that can usually house a host of folks and their equipment!
      Just Saying....It is what it is!

Comment

Have you ever noticed that the handicapped stall is usually the farthest from the entrance? I often leave my wheelchair outside the lady's room with my DH & walk in with a cane. It's very discouraging to then see a loooong row of stalls stretching out before the handicapped one.

Comment

handicapped stalls in a wc! makes me cringe.
          i agree just getting into some bathrooms with their heavy doors is almost impossible.
          but when you do get to the end of the room handicapped stall it's impossible to close and lock the dumb door! anyone have a trick for that? whether it swings out or in, i have trouble with it. as for a sink, i pull my sanitizer out of purse and ready to use BEFORE getting back in wc. feel germy enough.

i think they should hire disabled people to check out parking lot ramps and doors, bathrooms of course, entrances and why is the elevator always in the furtherest place in the mall or dept store?

i sure would like to have that job, maybe if we make enough noise we'll be heard. but thank God it is a whole lot better than it used to be. if you don't think so, go to a historic building that hasn't/ can't be brought up to code.
          we have it much better than generations before us!
          be careful everyone!
          "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

My daughter is studying architecture. I let her know to think the handicapped bathrooms thru. What good are handicapped stall & sinks if you cannot even get the door open? It would also be about as bad if you were stuck in the bathroom becuse you could not open the door to get out.

Comment

It was nice of you to use a small stall. My mother use it too. She said she was comfortable with it.

Comment

It's not funny until ya think about it.

I still work, so, usually, I have great folks that will open and hold the doors for me (I used a walker). I have had guys push the door wider if they see me trying to get out.

The ladiesroom have two accessible bathrooms, but, sometimes when you go in they are occupied by folks that you know could use the other stalls.

One day I used the stall at the futher end..locked the door. When it was time to come out, The lock would not work whiched meant I was locked in. There was no one else in the bathroom for at least 5 mins or more. That was a long time when ya can't get out. Finally, someone came in and I asked if they could help me get out. And they did. This was after regular working hours

Once I got back to my desk, I began to tell my friend about what happen. I had to laugh because all I could see is me crawling under the stall with my walker trying to get out!

I called maintance to check it, but, whether they did or not I don't know because I don't use that one.

Comment

mtnwillow, I would pay money to see the looks on the faces of the guys in the men's washroom when you happen to come out of a stall. I know it's not a laughing matter but I can't help but chuckle when I think of it. Thanks for today's smile!

Jen
                  RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                  "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Always, always keep your cell phone with you.

I got stuck in the elevator at work one day. It's only a 2 story building (a school) so it's not used much. I rang & rang the emergency bell. Finally, it moved to a floor & I got off. Later, I checked in at the office & they said they were wondering what that bell was! No harm done but I did miss a chunk of lunch period.

It would be worse calling from a rest room but at least you could get out.

Comment

Can anyone tell me why in the world handicap parking spaces are soooo far from the doors of most businesses? My father is 86 yrs old and can only walk a few feet on his own but refuses to use wheelchair in public. Driving me crazy!
                      Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
                      Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

Comment

handicap access and doors

I agree there is work to be done should not have to really on the kindness of others to open door they should be designed like supermarkets automatic slide or a button you can press to open the door.

Comment

difficult slopes

Has anyone noticed that often the cut out curbs are on such a slope that leaning on a large car, like an SUV, on one side is easier to get up the curb with a cane? Probably OK for a walker or wheel chair but not good with a cane.

Comment

handi accessible

That is where someone else feels good about how easy they have made it for people who have a hard time to get to where they are as long as the building or facilaty does not have to have something that is expensive, ughly in there terms, or changes the way they have to do anything. and lets not forget embarrassing

Comment

I've just found only one very accessible

I have now forgotten where it was at...some roadside rest
                              that actually had a large seperate handicap rest room
                              with high grab bars on both side of the commode that could actually help me rise up and get my butt
                              off of my power chair and get back off the throne with little difficulty
                              UNlike all the rest...this one was the BEST!
                              MS'ers may not all walk-- but, we can still roll along-so lets rock-n-roll as a power mobility group I do have an extra scooter & Powerchair The cat or my caregiver won't ride with me so maybe you could?

Comment

Working...
                              X