Pain in the hips and sacroiliac joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pain in the hips and sacroiliac joints

In January 2009, I had such severe pain in my sacroiliac joints (two joints on each side of the spine located in the lower back/upper buttocks), that I literally could not get out of bed for a day. I was diagnosed with sacroilitis.

Since then I continue to have pain in the sacroiliac joints, but I have pain in other areas of my hips as well.

I think I have a high tolerance for pain after enduring years of migraines, but at times the pain is excruciating. I do take naproxen twice daily and ibuprofen as needed but was told at my latest appointment with my primary that I should not be taking both.

Even with those medications, I'm still in pain.

Does anyone else experience this? And do you have any thoughts on whether this is part of MS or something else? I'm not asking for a medical diagnosis--just to learn from your personal experience. Thank you so much!
    "Life is full of suffering; it is also full of the overcoming of it." Helen Keller

Yes, I have sacroiliac pain and have had it for several years. I'm not sure what is causing it. I do have an old lesion on my lower spine. I also suspect it may be from my posture or decreased muscle strength from the MS. I sit more now because my legs hurt sometimes. I usually try to ice my lower back when it is very painful. I take Tramadol for severe pain. I try to only take it once or twice a month but it helps when I need it. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Comment

I take Ultram and use heat or ice to area. I didn't know there was a specific name for this pain, I thought it was a combination of osteoporosis, MS, and impaired mobility.

Comment

Yes

This is where I have been hurting lately too! It is really hard to bend over and squat to do house work and to pick up my dog's poop on walks.
        techie
        Another pirated saying:
        Half of life is if.
        When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
        Dogs Rule!

Comment

i have a new symptom started about a week ago with extreme pain in my hips at bedtime.

any pressure sheet, blanket me laying on bed hurts......
          Jen Dx'd 5/11
          "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

Yes!
            Me too!
            techie
            Another pirated saying:
            Half of life is if.
            When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
            Dogs Rule!

Comment

Thank you so much for responding! Now I know I'm not alone, which helps! I wish I knew how to make the pain go away. Treating the pain just treats the symptom--not the underlying cause. But there are a lot of MS symptoms that we all wish we could make go away!
              "Life is full of suffering; it is also full of the overcoming of it." Helen Keller

Comment

SI pain understanding

Originally posted by Mac87 View Post
                Does anyone else experience this?
                I've had particular troubles with my right SI joint for several years. What has helped me the most is pilates--doing exercises that strengthen my core and back muscles. I hate to exercise, but I also hate being in pain. I just pick the lesser of the two evils.

Massages and heating pads (or a nice bath) are also helpful.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X