hot flashes - way past menopause!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hot flashes - way past menopause!

Hi I am 55 and have been post menopausal for 12 years. I never had hot flashes after that, UNTIL about 6 months ago, they came back with a vengeance, several times a day. I have not been able to find a reference to this with regards to MS. Has anyone experienced this as part of MS symtoms or been told by your neuro that it can be part of your MS? Thanks for helping, I am sooo miserable!
    Diana
    dx'd 10/06 Copaxone 12/06 new lesions 5/08 Rebif 6/08
    OhMyGoshIHaveMS

I hear you! I am postmenopausal and older than you and also have had hot flashes come out of the blue from time to time. Sheesh - no fun!

I found that limiting my coffee intake during these times helps, plus taking the herb black cohosh. You can try Reminfemin (which I found at a drug store) also helps. All safe remedies.

I don't really think it has anything to do with MS, but just a part of being female.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
      I hear you! I am postmenopausal and older than you and also have had hot flashes come out of the blue from time to time. Sheesh - no fun!

I found that limiting my coffee intake during these times helps, plus taking the herb black cohosh. You can try Reminfemin (which I found at a drug store) also helps. All safe remedies.

I don't really think it has anything to do with MS, but just a part of being female.
      Hi
      I'm going to have to disagree with this part, i'm 32 and ever since i started Rebif 2 years ago i have ridiculous hot flashes. My neuro is not convinced that it has anything to do with the medicine, but rather my "thermostat" internally is "broken" his words. Any ways, I've seen several posts from others on DMD's that they have hot flashes. Mine personally also include excessive sweating. It was 75 degrees here in okc yesterday and I had the AC on lol

All i can say is you are not alone with this issue!

r-

Comment

Wiping Damp Brow

Well no wonder my flashes haven't gone away! They seem to have gotten worse during the day.

I'm not bothered with the night sweats too much anymore.

Comment

I have terrible and I do mean terrible nightsweats. It seems to happen more often in cold weather. Go figure that. Anyway my neurologist told me I have a broken thermostat too but don't know if I buy that. I am either freezing or too hot rarely just right. I get hot flashes in daytime but rarely get the profuse sweating like I get at night. I am on Rebif and this is the first time I have heard it could be a cause. Mines nightly though so does this just happen on the day of the injection is my next question? Oh and I am way past menopause too.

Comment

Originally posted by doggiemom View Post
            My neuro is not convinced that it has anything to do with the medicine, but rather my "thermostat" internally is "broken" his words.
            Your neuro may be right. Some people with MS seem to lose the ability to regulate their body temperature (temperature regulation is an autonomic nervous system function). Unexplained high temperatures can be a sign of this.

Comment

I too have the hot sweats and the "freezer syndrome." I am either one extreme or the other. I thought I was going nuts!

I am new here but wanted to chime in on this. I am 56 and went through the sweat cycle once before. I thought it was gone,but I see that it has now returned. I was diagnosed with MS in August 2010.

I am so glad to know that I am not the only one experiencing this!

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

Well - I stand corrected! I had no idea and thought it had to do with hormones. Lots of my older friends (both w/ MS and not), go thru this so I just assumed. I had them while on a DMD, but off the DMD now for a year and still have them!

"Broken themostat syndrome" Never too old to learn new stuff!
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

sweating

Just a thought. I have tried anti-depressents a few times--Zoloft & Celexa mainly for pain. Each time the sweating made me crazy. Getting dressed--soaked--light cleaning--soaked. My doc thought I was crazy till he looked it up.

Comment

thermostat broken? What's that MEAN?

Hi thanks for feedback so far. A few of you said your Doc said your "thermostat is broken". I would say "OK, Doc, but what does that mean, and more important, can you FIX it?"
                    I know basic anatomy tells me the hypothalamus is where it all begins; I suppose I could be broken there, or anywhere down the line (pituitary gland, etc.).
                    This has been going on for MONTHS! And it is SEVERE! Like several times an hour I get the hot flash, and a little less than that I will get a chill. The chills seem to be getting worse. I've been to the GP who wrote it off as "Heat intolorance". This is so much more!
                    I know, a trip to the neuro is in order at this point. But until then, if anyone out there has words of wisdom, bring them on. Meantime I am of course am doing all of the stated home remedies (ice packs, lower the home thermastat, etc.) but really how can I live like this indefinitely?
                    thanks
                    Diana
                    dx'd 10/06 Copaxone 12/06 new lesions 5/08 Rebif 6/08
                    OhMyGoshIHaveMS

Comment

Hot Flashes

My Endocrinologist said today, that flushing or hot flashes, may actually be caused by MS. It can also be caused my thyroid issues. Something to keep in mind.
                      ~Thoolahan~

Comment

Just for the sake of trying...........I am 53 and very post menopausal...I know that if I eat a large amount of carbs prior to bedtime I get HUGE nightsweats....

If you are used to dessert you might give it up a few nights and see if there is a correlation.

When I was menopausal I did quite a bit of research and many women experience hot flashes in conjunction with large amounts of carbs. I learned to limit my carbs at night.

Worth mentioning.
                        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

I don't eat large amts of carbs but I do think that is a good point.
                          I have MS and autonomic dysfunction which my neuro says is secondary to ms. According to him this is probably where this crazy temp thing comes in and he told me there is nothing I can do about it except deal. Well, not to be cruel but for a few minutes I had the idea of wishing this on him for a couple weeks and see if he says that so easily.lol
                          All I know is it disrupts my sleep, makes me lightheaded and I actually feel physically ill it is so bad when it happens. Also the extreme changes I have are ridiculous. We ate out last night and a friend was standing at our table talking and suddenly I was burning up and pushing up my sleeves and fanning myself and 2 min later I was shivering and put my coat around me. I am sure he thinks I am crazy and it actually was very cold as we are in the middle of a blizzard today and the cold and ice started last night and my husband who is normally hotblooded said the restaurant was chilly. So here I am fanning and sweating only to be shivering visibly a few min later. There I went rambling. Anyway I do think it can be ms related.

Comment

could "broken" mean, for us MSers, "short-circuited"?

semantics.

just a thought...

P.S. I too have had "hot flashes" before, during, and after menopause, probably due to the MS. You know, during the times way before I actually had a dX or no periods. It's all a "go-figure" world for me....

Comment

Working...
                            X