Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I really hope i can ask this on here :/ Has pot been shown to help with MS????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really hope i can ask this on here :/ Has pot been shown to help with MS????

I have been looking around on things about medicinal marijuana being used to treat MS. I was just wondering if anyone has experimented with it personally and if they would offer their personal (anonymous) experiments with this treatment. I just want to know is it really as good as people say it is for treating this disease.... Please help... Thank you!

Its probably good for treating symptoms of MS, though not necessarily MS directly, in a lot of people.

There are quite a few studies saying its more beneficial for MS than we would expect, but no big studies, just small university studies. Quite a bit of news about it has been coming out of Europe.

Comment

Here's a looong thread on the subject.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112183

Comment

I have friends who use it for Spasticity, not heavy. They find it works very well for them. No Med MJ here, so they are 'criminals'.
        Bill
        Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

As a child of the 60s - couldn't hurt!
          Jacque

dxd August 2011 at age of 65

Comment

LOL!

I imagine it would be great for people who suffer from pain, nausea and decreased appetites
            Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
            UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

It helps a lot with the headaches.

Comment

Tried it once for pain. Got ahold of some Cornell University PhD pharmaceutical grade stuff. Helped dull the trigeminal neuralgia some, but not wholly. It also made my dizziness worse, felt like I was on a roller coaster. Never again.
                Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Im on my phone so I can't search all over for the studies at this time but I've read in many places that it may ne much more beneficial for ms than just spasticity.

http://norml.org/news/2008/07/31/nat...se-of-cannabis

I use and he difference in my symptoms are very obvious to me if I don't use Amy mj for a few days.

Comment

Its just another drug. (one that cannot kill you)

It helps some people. Some people hate it. (just like any other drug.)

I have used it for about 12 years.
                    It helps reduce pain and increaces appetite for me.

You will find all kinds of opinions about it. Some will call it a miracle drug... some will claim it is worthless or damaging.
                    In the end it all comes down to personal preferance.

I am a 47 yo man that does not tollerate most drugs well and I do not like to "party". (drink very little, no caffeine,no stimulants of any type.)
                    I started using it after trying lots of pharm drugs and not getting much relief.
                    It seems to help me.

No drug works for everybody and nobody knows how it will work for them until they try it.

I live in a state where it is legal but I am sure it is available all over the world.

I don't think it cures anything but what does?

Comment

I believe it has neuroprotective properties. It helps my mood a lot.....

Comment

With me , yes. Depression , hand shaking , and most important-pain. Where I live , I will continue my legal addiction to narcotics.

Comment

Originally posted by tommylee View Post
                          Its just another drug. (one that cannot kill you)

It helps some people. Some people hate it. (just like any other drug.)

I have used it for about 12 years.
                          It helps reduce pain and increaces appetite for me.

You will find all kinds of opinions about it. Some will call it a miracle drug... some will claim it is worthless or damaging.
                          In the end it all comes down to personal preferance.

I am a 47 yo man that does not tollerate most drugs well and I do not like to "party". (drink very little, no caffeine,no stimulants of any type.)
                          I started using it after trying lots of pharm drugs and not getting much relief.
                          It seems to help me.

No drug works for everybody and nobody knows how it will work for them until they try it.

I live in a state where it is legal but I am sure it is available all over the world.

I don't think it cures anything but what does?
                          I think you nailled it.
                          For the record, I have a pretty serious allergy to MJ which the Navy thought was just dandy.
                          Does MJ help with pain and spazticity issues? The evidence points to yes. Used as a tool/Rx I have no doubt people have found some relief.

The problem is that MJ tends to get touted as a cure when its really more like an excuse for getting blotto. If you're an adult and want to get blotto and you're in a situation where you can't harm yourself or others, by all means get blotto. I could make an equal arguement touting the benefits of tequila or mezcal jello shooters for the healing properties of agave.

There is also the question of whether you can become addicted to MJ. In my experience, yes but only if you're already severly messed up. I mean, I could make an arguement that Wheat Thins are addictive.

Just realize that there are risks. Smoking anything brings a higher risk of ingesting carcinogens and MJ is a slightly higher risk due to how long you hold each puff. Sprays and liquid forms may be a much better alternative, assuming they are properly produced. Then there's that whole legal thing and MJ laws date back to the days of Prohibition.

I think we need a better debate on MJ and legalization, we just don't want to rely on old Bob Marley songs to make it.

Comment

I had my medical MJ card when I lived in Oregon. Not that I used much but, I have a child & wanted the protection legally.

I do not have much pain. Compared To many here, I would say none...but as exhausted as I always am, I have trouble sleeping. My anxiety is through the roof and I cannot take anti depressants so my docs thus far have been reluctant to write me a rx for xanax or valium etc.

A little puff or two just before bed helps me relax & get some sleep. I just make sure I dont get anything with a knick name...plain old fashion weed is plenty for me, I'm a featherweight
                            DXd Fragile X premutation ~ 2004
                            DXd RRMS ~ Jan. 2009

Comment

The problem is that MJ tends to get touted as a cure when its really more like an excuse for getting blotto. If you're an adult and want to get blotto and you're in a situation where you can't harm yourself or others, by all means get blotto. I could make an equal arguement touting the benefits of tequila or mezcal jello shooters for the healing properties of agave.

There is also the question of whether you can become addicted to MJ. In my experience, yes but only if you're already severly messed up. I mean, I could make an arguement that Wheat Thins are addictive.

Just realize that there are risks. Smoking anything brings a higher risk of ingesting carcinogens and MJ is a slightly higher risk due to how long you hold each puff. Sprays and liquid forms may be a much better alternative, assuming they are properly produced. Then there's that whole legal thing and MJ laws date back to the days of Prohibition.

I think we need a better debate on MJ and legalization, we just don't want to rely on old Bob Marley songs to make it.[/QUOTE]

IMHO people that use marijuana for legitimate medical reasons don't wish to get blotto. Certainly there is abuse of the whole medical marijuana thing but there is abuse of handicapped parking placards and there is raging abuse of prescription drugs with considerably more physical and psychological harm. I would rather see someone smoke a joint than start using oxy's any day.

Just for fun I googled Psychology today and they quote what they tout as the most complete research on MJ; a book called The Science of Marijuana and that research shows that in the worse case only 9 percent of people might have a true addiction. I'd say that was a pretty good percentage.

Googling smoking MJ vs Smoking cigarettes brings a plethora of viewpoints. No one really seems to agree.

I don't think you can reasonably argue the benefits of jello shooters.

If MJ gives someone relief by all means they should use it. Past threads on this site seem to support the fact that some people with MS do find relief using mj.

And actually mj laws do not date back to prohibition. The marijuana tax act came far after prohibition.

Anyway it certainly is a debate that needs serious attention and serious facts.

j
                              Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Working...
                              X