Did they work for you? Acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me-Not so much

I've taken the ALA & ALC for a few months. I didn't feel a difference so a little over a month ago I increased my ALC to 1000 mg. At first, I thought it was helping but now I think I was just having a good few days. Unfortunately, I really see no difference with these supplements. Funny how our bodies use (or not) things differently. I'm so glad to hear that these work for so many people though! I wish I was one of you!

Comment

I've been taking 1,000 Mg L-Carn and 200 Mg ALA in the morning for the past month and a half kind of "on my own." My Neuro wanted me to try 5,000 I.U. of Vitamin D and 1,000 MG of Calcium and I've been doing that for 6 months. That seemed to take the "bone-crushing" severity from my fatigue (but not eliminate it), but I don't seem to see a difference so far since adding the L-Carn and ALA.

I asked the Neuro about the combo after seeinPg some great results on this board, but he was... unenthusiastic! Said he had seen some literature that indicated potential benefit, but recommended the Vit D and Ca instead. I added it later on my own, but he may have been right for this body.

I hope it's not too indelicate to say, but the only noticeable result I've seen so far in the odor of urine the first time or two each day after taking the L-Carn. Smells a LITTLE like "skunk" and a little less like something fruity! In a public restroom the other day, I wonder what the next guy thought...

I have enough to last another month and a half. After that, if I can't detect any more desirable(?!) effect, I guess I'll give up on it.

So glad to hear it has been of real help to some of you!!

Hawkeye
      "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." ~James Elliot

Comment

The dosage of ALC that was used in the university study was 2,000 mg. If you're not seeing results at 1,000 mg, you may need to increase it to the study dosage. It wouldn't hurt to try, anyway. (Again, check with your doctor first!)

Hawkeye, I've not noticed the "effect" that you mentioned, and I've been taking ALC, ALA, calcium, and Vit. D for over a year. Are you sure it's not something else you're eating?
        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Hawkeye - I totally agree with you on the stinky pee issue.

Comment

Nope, Sashi.

I try to eat well, and am very consistent. The "problem" started immediately after I started taking my Puritan's Pride Acetyl L-Carnitine and ALA. Didn't happen in the months before when I took the Vitamin D and Calcium alone.

Who knows... I won't give up just because of that.

I'm hesitant to ask the Dr. about increasing to 2,000 since he wasn't favorable to the idea at any level when I asked before, and I'm doing this pretty much "on the sly."

Hawkeye
            "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." ~James Elliot

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
              I hope it's not too indelicate to say, but the only noticeable result I've seen so far in the odor of urine the first time or two each day after taking the L-Carn. Smells a LITTLE like "skunk" and a little less like something fruity! In a public restroom the other day, I wonder what the next guy thought...
              Oh yes! ICK! For me it didn't go away the entire time I was on it. As soon as I quite taking it, gone.

Comment

How weird! I've been taking both (from Puritan's Pride) and have never noticed stinky pee. It may be interacting with other meds or supplements you are taking or something in your body's chemistry. Really, really odd!
                Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Hello

Drinking more water should help with the stinky pee. (If not caused by infection or medical condition).

I googled causes of urine odor and found some things that cause smelly urine:

Sulfa-rich foods like eggs, meat, onions, curry, garlic, and cauliflower.

Also asparagus, beer, coffee, B Vitamins (especially B6).

Drinking plenty of water and adding cranberry juice can often help with urine odor.

I've been taking ALA and ALC also, with no urine odor problem. However I do drink pure cranberry juice and take cranberry supplements.

Hopefully this helps.

Take care,
                  KoKo
                  PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

The alpha lipoic acid (ALA) is responsible for the strong urine odor.

ALA passes through your body (kidneys) very quickly. You also need to take it with a B vitamin for proper absortion.

Acetyl L Carnitine (ALCAR) needs to be taken in combination with ALA to realize maximum fatigue effects. Think of ALCAR improving mental alertness and ALA providing physical energy.

ALA basically helps our bodies turn food energy into cellular energy. While we are young and growing we produce lots of it but after the age of 40 not so much.

ALA has also been found to inhibit T-cell migration across the blood brain barrier and is being investigated as a possible MS treatment. Tysabri also functions this way. Further, it is thought ALA prevents cancer cell growth.

So, ALA is a really important antioxidant for MSers despite the odor side-effect. Recommended dose is 300mg in the morning and 300 mg in the evening.

Comment

Wow! Thanks Knuckle for all of the great info on my two favorite supplements! Even more reason to stick with them.

Comment

Question for the group, today was my first day with Vyvanse (amphetomine) and have had the first day of feeling good in a few years. My biggest problems with MS are fatigue and depression. The depression takes me to the darkest loneliest place i can think of.

Will this combo of alpha lipoic acid and acetyl L-carnitine also help with this.

I heve spent alot of time researching MS and i cant seem to keep up with treatments of symptoms. But i have learned that i may not be crazy, but my brain may actually cause this.

Comment

Probably not, but Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) is worth trying.

LDN taken nightly boosts your endorphins 2-300% the next day. Endorphins fight fatigue and endorphins fight depression. I've never encountered anyone who has just completed an endorphin-producing event (i.e., exercise, sex, eating chocolate) who said they afterwards they felt fatigued and depressed.

LDN has also been reported by thousands users to be very effective at slowing, if not halting, MS progression. The endorphin production LDN facilitates helps "regulate" the immune system.

The reason why MSers who exercise often experience more manageable MS symptoms is not because they are getting stronger, or more flexible, etc., it's because they're producing endorphins.

Same goes for vitamin d. Vitamin d serves to regulate the immune system and most MSers are found to be vitamin d deficient.

So, before taking an expensive, maybe toxic, pharmaceutical for fatigue and depression, consider cheap, non-toxic LDN. While exercise, sex, chocolate and sunshine are great, sometimes it's hard to fit them in daily and they don't consistently produce as many endorphins as LDN does.

For more information on LDN visit: www.LDNaware.org which serves as a gateway to many of the LDN resources on the Internet.

Comment

Knuckle, where do you get LDN? Is it over the counter or prescription?

Comment

Im sorry to lead this thread off topic, but, for the past 3 years i have been using kratom to battle the depression and fatigue, and it has bought me some time as far as my career goes. It is to the point now that the kratom isnt cutting it. Kratom is a lef off of a tree in asia and it is an opiat antagonist. I hav been using the variety from thialand and it is very stimulating but without the shakes and the edgyness i get from amphetomines.

I hate the big pharm racket and dont want to support them if i can help it. Thanx for the heads up on this ( i cant recal the name you called it) darn ms anyway,but i go see my brain doctor wed. I will see what he thinks.

Thanx for the info, im new here and i like what i see so far.

Comment

Skip's Pharmacy in Boca Raton, FL. with a prescription as written by my neuro. $66 for a 100 day LDN supply. Skip's also provides my 4-AP at $98 for a 100 day supply.

I'm not promoting Skip's necessarily as many compounding pharmacies make LDN, but Skip's price is very competitive and a lot of MSers use them.

Comment

Working...
                                X