No announcement yet.

MS and VA disability claims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, if you could do me a favor, let us know how things work out via this sub-forum.

MS is a fairly rare condition, MS in the services is rarer still, and MS in the retired military community is, well, you get the picture. We could use some info about dealling with MS and the VA/Tricare stuff from a retired point of view.

Before I forget, on the VSO stuff.. You may want to look into a group called the Paralysed Veterans Association. MS falls under their "umbrella" and their SO's tend to have a pretty good handle on dealling with MS issues. I'm not saying they are the best for your situation, but you would probably want to talk to their SO's (SO are kinda like Dr's, you want to find the one who works best for you) while figuring out which SO you'll work with.

Comment

Just a couple of notes to this discussion, first thing keep in mind that the VA will treat any vet with MS s/c or not, just go to VA web site and search MS, it is written right there. That's how I started with them myself.

Second yes the PVA has much more knowledge of MS than some of the other organizations, I know Gomer hasn't had best of luck with them but the service officer covering NC is fantastic, if you need help finding out who your rep is let me know, I am very active with the organization and currently running for office on the SE region board of directors.

Third thing is in ref to the VA not recognizing MS as S/
      C, our center of excellence was just visited/inspected a week ago, it appears that they actually plan on expanding the center both size wise, staffing level wise and moving the infusion center to its own location possibly, the nurses in the infusion center said there was absolutely no discussion or hints of any possible reduction in services etc to vets with MS, just lets hope that it stays that way.
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

This also brings up some things which tend to get confused with the VA.

-Seperate "pension" from "care". Service connected and non-service connected Vets at the VA sit in the same waiting rooms and see the same doctors. They get the same prescriptions and health services.

Don't confuse service connection with disabilty levels and financial need. A service connected pension is compensation that doesn't figure into things like SSI. Basically, the VA is saying you were active service when you shouldn't have been and they will now compensate you for that mistake.

-Understand the "seven year window" and MS. This tends to be confusing. You don't have to file for a service connected pension within seven years of leaving active service. You do , however, have to be able to document that any syptoms you began to feel due to a later diagnosis of MS occured within seven years of your EAOS. There is a difference.

Let's say you left the service twenty years ago. Six years after getting out, you begin to feel some syptoms so you go to a doctor for a check-up. The Dr. misses the connection to MS. As time goes on, you get more symtoms and see other Dr's until one day someone finally sends you to a Neuro for a consult. The Neuro orders an MRI and you get diagnosed with MS.

So, its been a long time since you left the service but you have documented proof that you were dealling with symtoms that were caused by MS that occured within 7 years of your leaving. Your MS is service connected.

Note that I use the term "documented proof". Having a Dr. that you've been seeing for a year write a letter that you've had MS for at least twenty years just doesn't carry the water like letting the VA figure it out for themselves. Old bills for stuff like appointments and prescriptions, on the other hand, can prove that you've been dealling with the beast for a while.

Comment

Did some poking and found the actual "CBO report on 100 options" to address budget crisis. Will attempt to provide the link to at least the page addressing changes to service connection determinations. If the URL gets deleted, suggest you google search the text in quotes above and choose the link from the Congressional Budget Office.

Of significant note is this sentence:
          "Under the option, veterans currently receiving compensation for those conditions would have their compensation
          reduced or eliminated following a reevaluation, and veter- ans who applied for compensation for those conditions in the future would not be eligible for it."

Comment

Rarer in the Military

Hey Bob,

Actually, recent clinical research debunks your statement that MS is "even more rare in the military." Research has shown that MS in the military has a higher incidence as compared to the civilian population worldwide.

http://www.militarycme.com/clinical-...population-903

This only one article, but there are other researchers reporting the same. It seems since the incident rate is higher in the military the military cannot prove that MS isn't service related. I've also read research articles relating certain immunizations we may have received thus you cannot discount the service connected disability theory.
            Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

Huh?

Unless I missed it and we went back to the draft, most people don't join the military.

Therefore, most people who get MS don't join the military.

Otherwise, there has been statistal evidence that MS rates are slightly higher in the military but you have to be very careful making generalisations due to the very small sample size.

Comment

Not only is it not less rare in Vets but the ratio of woman vs men is the opposite in vets. In other words there is a higher % of men with MS among vets then there is with woman with the difference in # of men in the services vs women taken into account.

Comment

We are getting some mixed messages here.

I am part of the Military's Gulf War Multiple Sclerosis Cohort. Extensive research has been and is continuing to be done on us. We were all members of the US Armed Forces between the years of 1990 and 2007. There are close to 3,000 of us.

We all got MS while on Active Duty. We did not join the military with MS and we are not mistakes. Many of us were part of Neurological Clusters. Some of us made it to a Full Retirement (20-30 years), some an Early Retirement (12-19 years), or separated with benefits.

Women were three times more likely to get MS than men in our group. African Americans were also deemed more at risk.

The Air Force, followed closely by the Army were more likely to get MS. Please note, most Air Force Bases are former Army Bases. Air Force and Army are considered high risk.

The Navy and Coast Guard had medium risk and the Marines had very little risk when compared with the other Services.

Statistically speaking, their was a higher rate of MS in this diverse group of individuals vs. the Worldwide MS Population. 9.6 vs. 4.2 per 100,000. That is significant...very significant.

Continued research is being done one this group to try to determine the environmental triggers of Multiple Sclerosis.

If you would like to read more on The Gulf War MS Cohort you can visit the VA Website.
                  Katie
                  "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                  "My MS is a Journey for One."
                  Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
                    We did not join the military with MS and we are not mistakes.
                    Which is why I don't like to comment on service connection because that's its basic definition.
                    Service connection is compensation based on being harmed or disabled directly due to the actions of the military.

Someone in the military (whether by mistake or not) ordered you to walk through a mine field, therefore its their mistake that you're now disabled.

Serving during or after 1990 meant you had a pretty good chance of getting shots to protect you against hazards like anthrax or other chem/bio weps.

I was Navy and served on subs. We had our own war (and a sub is one of the safest places to be in terms of bio weps) but we STILL got the shots because we were highly trained and specialized members of the military. It was easier to protect us than to replace us.

So, could those shots be a factor? The military doesn't seem to be in a hurry to answer that. Is being DX'd with MS due to prolonged high stress or lack of sleep? I don't know.

All I know is that I still got MS, whether its service connected or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
                      Which is why I don't like to comment on service connection because that's its basic definition.
                      Service connection is compensation based on being harmed or disabled directly due to the actions of the military.

All I know is that I still got MS, whether its service connected or not.
                      Our difference in opinion is semantics. My definition of Service Connected comes from the VA Website, which is:

"Disability compensation is a monetary benefit paid to Veterans who are disabled by an injury or illness that was incurred or aggravated during active military service. These disabilities are considered to be service connected."

If you get hurt or sick on active duty...it is SC. That however was not always the case, and use to be more in line with your definition above.

We have 17,000 vets with MS. 7,000 are SC.

We should all be grateful that we have the VA that will handle all MS cases no matter how they are classified ( even though some of the VAs really suck). Because there are a lot of people out there with MS that can't afford to go to the doctor let alone the drugs. When I read the other day in the meds forum that people were paying thousands in out-of-pocket costs, I was appalled.

The Military will never answer the MS question, you know that. And all of us have our opinions.

But for the GAO to lump MS into the same category as hemorrhoids and uterine fibroids is disgraceful and insulting.:

I personally do think my MS was strictly due to my military service...and I will die believing that. But, I would do it all again, because it was absolutely the best 24 years of my life. With and without MS.
                      Katie
                      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                      "My MS is a Journey for One."
                      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I was denied my claim because the final diagnosis was not until 8 years.The first symptoms were at 7 years but since the diagnosis was not until the 8th years they denied it.

Comment

I would definitely file an apeal if you haven't waited too long. You have a short time period to this. From reading your post you should have been deemed S.C. On presumptive period if you can show and prove you had sx's with in the 7 year period after discharge. I was able to get a service connected disability rating 19 years after my discharge. I did the research and found medical evidence that was with in the 7 year presumptive period and also refured back to my gulf war registry I participated in 1995 were I was complaining of sx's Back then. The other card I played was haveing found photos showing where the warhead landed off our bow of the boat I was on.

Comment

VA MS 7 year

Originally posted by davidlinda1020 View Post
                            Has anyone had success getting approved bt the va for MS disability after the 7 year rule? How long did it take and where you given back pay an a monthly check?
                            I have been waiting 185 days so far and fall within the 7 year period

Comment

I filed a claim and was denied. I was diagnosed well within the 7 year timeline, but my minimum length of service was short by... wait for it... 24 hours.

I've since lawyered up. We'll see how it shakes out. Good luck to everyone else in their claims.

Comment

You do not need to be dx within 7 years, just have to have documented sx within 7 years, I got out in 87 wasn't dx until 09 and was given 100% based on notes in my medical records back to 75.

180+days is not unusual at all depends which VA office you go thru, some are still 2 yrs behind

Comment

Working...
                                X