Lamictal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamictal

My neuro put me on Lamictal for nerve pain yesterday. The generic name is Lamotrigine. It's an anti-seizure drug and is also used for Bipolar Disorder. The Gabapent is not working for my nerve pain. Cymbalta is also not working. My hand hurt so bad yesterday I could only type with one hand.

Anyone heard about Lamictal being used for nerve pain? Anyone actually tried it?

Yes, my friend is on Lamictal for trigeminal neuralgia and she said that it works well. I've been told that the side effects are minimal.

Comment

They put me on this to try to even out my mood swings/anger issues. When I was on the last "dose up" (mg increase) I broke out in hives all over my face, neck & upper body.

I was told to throw the meds away immedeately but I understand this rare...
      DXd Fragile X premutation ~ 2004
      DXd RRMS ~ Jan. 2009

Comment

Yes, one of the side effects is a rash or hives which can be very serious. Rarely fatal. Menigitis is another possible (rare) side effect. It's worth the very small risk for me if the pain goes away.

I'm up to 50mg per day for a week and then he said we would treat more agressively. Whatever that means! So far not much difference in pain level but I'm still on a pretty low dose.

Comment

Working...
        X