Copaxone-how long does it take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone-how long does it take?

I've only been on it 5 weeks, but feel like I'm starting to get the hug like sx again which is what started this in December! So if I had the sx in December, but it went away and now it's back, is that considered a flare, or just progression....so confused by that part of this and I know it's been discussed ad nauseum...sorry to bring it up again.

Yesterday it was mild discomfort between the shoulder blades, today a little lower around the upper ribs, just in the back.

It amazes me at how one small thing can affect your mood and state of mind so quickly! I have been feeling really good lately and back to PT, now this. Ugh, ugh, ugh.
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

I just talked with shared solutions about 3 days ago and they told me that its not uncommon to have a flare within the first 3 months of treatment with copaxone. That was one of the copaxone nurses that told me that. Not saying that what your going thru is a flare, I pray its not.

Comment

I remember reading anything from 3-9 months on the board; my neuro says 6 months for full efficacy.

Comment

Hi jbell:
        In the prescribing information, there are a couple of performance graphs that show that, in the initial trials, it took about 3 months for Copaxone to start performing better than placebo. Hang in there!

Comment

It's common for symptoms to come and go. Happens all the time. It doesn't necessarily mean anything more than you have that sx at that moment.

A relapse should be considered if a new sx or a worsening old sx lasts 24-48 hrs. Is the mild discomfort you have now worse than it was previously and is today worse than yesterday? If it is, a relapse is a possibility. It doesn't sound as if that's the case from what you wrote,though.

It's generally thought (based on a study, results of which are on that insert you get in the Copaxone box, page 5 of linked info below) that Copaxone's full effects begin between 3-6 months. Do keep in mind that DMDs don't stop relapses. They aim to reduce them. Some drs find 1 relapse or new lesion to be cause to change DMDs and others take a more of a wait and see approach.

Just pay attention to your sx today and if there is any worsening or you find it really bothersome, call your neuro and see what they say.

http://www.sharedsolutions.com/pdfs/...formation.aspx

Comment

Thanks so much, I thought I read the 3-6 months somewhere, but couldn't remember..

Mrs. Bones, this time the sx is less than it was last time but it worries me that it is coming back, oh well, can't stop it can I! Actually, compared to others I've read with the hug, mine seems quite mild then and now.

I was doing PT both times when this came on and I'm starting to wonder if it is causing some discomfort in the ribs/back...hmmm will keep watch on it.

I hated my 1st and only solumedro infusions and it was only 3 days, I skipped the feel good stage and went straight to the feeling crappy stage, so I know I will wait until it is much worse before trying that again.

Thanks for the responses!
            Ampyra 10mg 2xday
            Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Originally posted by jbell2435 View Post

I was doing PT both times when this came on and I'm starting to wonder if it is causing some discomfort in the ribs/back...hmmm will keep watch on it.
              Here's a thought...are you heat sensitive? Some of us have old sx come creeping (or raging) back if body temp raises even a fraction of a degree. It's possible since this seems to be coming back during PT, you could be raising your temp just enough through activity to make it come back.

Of course, since it's during PT, it could be the activity that's just happening to aggravate (maybe working them just enough to give them a tweak) certain muscles that are located where you felt the hug prior to this.

Pay close attention next time you're at PT. If it comes on again, note exactly was going on prior to its onset. If it's related to PT in either way, you might be able to figure out its cause and avoid it or know how to help it resolve more quickly. Maybe bring it up with the therapist. One familiar with MS should be able to help work around it, if it is indeed PT related.

Comment

Thanks Mrs Bones. It actually doesn't come on during PT, just that I was doing PT during the time it hits at home...

I don't really consider it an 'old' symptom as the 1st time I had it was Nov/Dec, then went on iv steroid although it cleared the day before I started the iv and haven't 'seen' it since...

This is actually my 1st new sx since dx...everything else is 'old' 2-6 yrs old...foot drop, weakness in leg, dizziness, fatigue, imbalance, etc.

I keep a journal since 1/20 for the copax injections an have been writing down any new or worsening sx to take to my next appt in May.

Thanks again for your input!!
                Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Originally posted by jbell2435 View Post
                  Thanks Mrs Bones. It actually doesn't come on during PT, just that I was doing PT during the time it hits at home...

I don't really consider it an 'old' symptom as the 1st time I had it was Nov/Dec, then went on iv steroid although it cleared the day before I started the iv and haven't 'seen' it since...

This is actually my 1st new sx since dx...everything else is 'old' 2-6 yrs old...foot drop, weakness in leg, dizziness, fatigue, imbalance, etc.

I keep a journal since 1/20 for the copax injections an have been writing down any new or worsening sx to take to my next appt in May.

Thanks again for your input!!
                  I should clarify. For the purposes of guessing if you're having a relapse, "old" should read " pre-existing" as in you've had it before the current incident you're thinking could be a relapse. It doesn't much matter how much older, just that it resolved in one way or another and what you now are experiencing couldn't be a continuation of that relapse.

From the complete picture you've given with it not coming on in PT ( as I thought you meant did happen by "I was doing PT both times when this came on and I'm starting to wonder if it is causing some discomfort in the ribs/back") and not being new or worse than it had been before, it's probably just popped up to say hello again.

Call your dr. if it's bothering you, but I wouldn't worry about it. It may just be the new you.

Comment

Working...
                  X