Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

several injection areas (copaxone) flaring at same time

Has anyone dealt with this before?:
    The other night I wasn't feeling well. I had a headache, my eyes hurt & I was red in the face but didn't have a fever. I had 5-6 injection areas (ones I had recently injected) all flaring up at the same time. They were red, hot, itchy & swollen. By the next morning they all calmed down (except for the most recent site) This is a first for me! Anyone else?

So sorry that happened!

I have never heart of multiple injection areas acting that particular way in addition to the symptoms you describe.

Some people take a Benadryl along with Copaxone.
    This other discussion board has some helpful posts.

http://www.healingwell.com/community...f=32&m=1488389

I have had one or two get really big and swollen looking a day or two after my injection. But, it's never bothered me enough to say I've felt ill.

Maybe if you are new to Copaxone, your body is having to adjust to it.
    My shots are much less noticeable they used to be. They don't itch as badly either.

Best wishes and log what happens with your shots so you can discuss this with your Dr.
    If you feel badly again, be sure to call.

I hope your next shot is pain and reaction-free!

Comment

When I inject, the last 2-3 sites I injected tend to flush up and get itchy again for a few hours. If I get hives (fairly common for me, thankfully not from the meds), those sites also get itchy again.

For me, it seems to be an issue of the irritation triggering some sort of repeat performance in areas of my body that are already a little irritated from an injection. Shared Solutions says that old sites getting irritated at the time of the daily injection is relatively common. As for the fever, etc. spurring it, I would probably ask your doctor to make sure what you experienced is within normal limits. Perhaps it was the fever itself, but it's always better to check with your doc. You could even start by calling Shared Solutions to see what they have to say.

Comment

Hi there, This happens to me a lot. It is my understanding that Copaxone mimics the protein in myelin, so our immune system will attack the Copaxone instead of the myelin. (though i am not a doctor and don't remember where i read this, but it makes sense to me) I find I get the lumps from all the injection sites from the previous week when I am fighting off something (a cold? Or a sore throat)....and if this is the case, then it's doing its job, right? :-) I also find that I don't really get sick anymore (have been cold-free, bug-free, for almost three years since Dx...but live in a house full of kids and germs all around me)...I can feel the start of something...the little tickle in my throat, and I get tired, but then a day or two later, I am fine...without ever having gotten the full cold.

Comment

I'm going through the very same thing. I was a ok my first 6 weeks on cop but now I have the most recent areas bothering me. Big lumps, tender, itchy. I can't take benadryl without 16 hours to sleep it off but I do my shots after a warm shower and apply ice. I'm not sure what else there is to be done.

Comment

I have been on Copaxone about 5 years (with a year off in the middle for a pregnancy), and usually the last 2 or 3 injections sites are raised, warm, a little itchy and tender. Actually this is mainly true with the sites on the arms and legs. I have little reaction on my abdomen and hips (more fat maybe?)

Comment

My legs do the same thing and sometimes my stomach.

I started playing with the settings. For less fat areas I use numbr 4 (my legs) for my gut I have been using setting 5-6. I noticed if I use a 4 on my gut it will swell up bad.

Also use a warm wash clothes and message the area first. It seems to help.

Comment

Copax Seminar

I just went to a seminar(?) yesterday and the nuero presenting said he had a pt who developed a bad reaction after being on copax for some time....he suggested she get a new batch and then had no problems.

While I found it a bit alarming that batch quality could do this, then rx rep said that can happen.

Just a thought. You may want to check with Shared Solutions. The rep said they stand behind their product and would replace it.
                Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
                Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Working...
                X