Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FDA approves Plegridy

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...EkJ/story.html

Same active ingredient as Avonex but only taken twice a month & under the skin with a pre-filled auto injector instead of in the muscle.
    Diagnosed: May 2012
    Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
    Plegridy - starting 12/14

They have their website public. Looks like it will be in a pen form where you won't see the needle. So happy about that. Anxious to switch from Avonex to this!

https://www.plegridy.com/

Comment

i was watching this. thanks.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

My neuro has talked to me about this drug. Twice a month sounds nice. I realize I don't do many more injections than that now, but I hate them!
        Diagnosed 1/4/13
        Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

Plegridy Pricing released ^

Biogen announced Plegridy will cost $62,036 annually.
          5169/month
          2386/dose
          170/day

A full-time worker would need to make $30/hour -AFTER- taxes to simply pay for Plegridy.

Comment

Tecfidera costs about $55,000. Gilenya & Aubagio cost between $45,000 and $60,000 as of 2013.

Most insurances will cover it but it's being released by Biogen and they have a great assistance program for people not covered. I assume they will offer the same financial assistance that they offer for Avonex for those that can't afford the copay or cost.

Comment

I've been having a hard time with the Avonex pen. I don't know if I have just gotten weak or if it's the pens but the buttons keep jamming on me & nobody can seem to help with the problem. It causes me so much anxiety & stress each week. I am terrified of needles & can't bring myself to inject the old fashioned way.

I am looking forward to this new medication because it won't be a huge jump from Avonex but only twice a month & an easier shot to take should make dealing with these shots so much easier!

Comment

$

Originally posted by Westgrl View Post
                Tecfidera costs about $55,000. Gilenya & Aubagio cost between $45,000 and $60,000 as of 2013.

Most insurances will cover it but it's being released by Biogen and they have a great assistance program for people not covered. I assume they will offer the same financial assistance that they offer for Avonex for those that can't afford the copay or cost.
                I have known about this for about a year. If you do well with Avonex, I am guessing this is your drug. Longer half-life, fewer shots, Interferon... like an Avonex reboot.

This leads to the question of cost. I am hoping you are right...that if your insurance covered Avonex, it will similarly cover this. If so, I'm in!
                Tawanda

Comment

I just got told today my Avonex isn't working they want me to try plegridy. My guess is becasue it's a larger dose, 125 every two weeks VS 30 every week. The PA said they should start being able to prescribing it in November but she didn't say when exactly.

Anyone know when plegridy will be available?
                  Sos219
                  4/24/2014
                  Avonex

Gilenya 1/29/2015- present

Comment

Originally posted by sos219 View Post
                    I just got told today my Avonex isn't working they want me to try plegridy. My guess is becasue it's a larger dose, 125 every two weeks VS 30 every week. The PA said they should start being able to prescribing it in November but she didn't say when exactly.

I've been waiting anxiously to find that out myself. It's been approved. I believe now they are manufacturing & educating doctors and once they feel everything is in place, they will start dispensing it. I have been following any news I see on it in hopes they will announce it.

Comment

Plegridy is due out in November. I have heard it is more comparable to Rebif, but I don't know much about the interferons. Not sure how big of a difference there is between Rebif and Avonex?

I use to be on Copaxone but took a vacation from the MS medications after a bad reaction. So I have been following Plegridy.

Even after all these years is still a hard decision to choose the right treatment.

Comment

Both Avonex and Rebif are "Interferon β-1a" with different dosing and administration. Extavia and Betaseron are "Interferon β-1b" and are identical. Plegridy is "peginterferon β-1a" is a pegylated form of interferon. Pegylated means that that polyethylene glycol is attached to the interferon molecules, which keeps them in the body longer. If you want fewer injections this may be the medication for you. The single-dose injectors are given subcutaneously every 2 weeks -or- only 26 shots per year.

The efficacy of Plegridy is in-line with other interferon medications:
                        • 36% reduction in annualized relapse rate when compared with placebo
                        • 38% reduction in the risk of 12-week disability progression
                        • 67% reduction in the number of new brain lesions

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                          Biogen announced Plegridy will cost $62,036 annually.
                          5169/month
                          2386/dose
                          170/day

A full-time worker would need to make $30/hour -AFTER- taxes to simply pay for Plegridy.
                          Well, to give a fair comparison. I was just informed that my current insurance from my employer is paying out about $50,000 annually for Avonex & because of this, they will no longer be covering it. So, Plegridy isn't that far off from the current medications.

Guess I will be investigating Obamacare now that they don't want to pay for my medications anymore.

Comment

I emailed my insurance company to ask if they were even planning on covering it at all. My thought was why wait for it if they won't cover it. This was their response.

"ANSWER: Amanda, thank you for your inquiry concerning Plegridy. When released and available, Plegridy will be a non-preferred medication. Details are not available, but the drug most likely will require a Prior Authorization documenting what else has been tried and the results. For any additional questions call the Pharmacy Help Desk "

More promising than the absolute denial I was expecting lol.

I live in WNY and have A Univera silver level plan that we bought through the Marketplace. Just in case anyone was wondering.
                            Sos219
                            4/24/2014
                            Avonex

Gilenya 1/29/2015- present

Comment

Originally posted by sos219 View Post

My starter kit is being delivered tomorrow. Like with Avonex the initial doses will be titrated.

Comment

Working...
                              X