Is Provigil better than just a caffeine pill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Provigil better than just a caffeine pill

I'm having extreme fatigue (forever) and my neuro is now wanting me to re-try Provigil. With my insurance it will cost $649 for 30 pills. WHAT?? And that's just the GENERIC.

So my brother said for me to take a caffeine pill and it will do the same. I'm sure he's wrong but what IS the better benefit of Provigil over caffeine?

i took caffeine pill, alll it did for me was stimulate me for a short while. modafinil (provigil generic) lasted for about 6 hours andcaffeine pills lasted me only about 1 1/2 hours. but that was me
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Provigil seems to be

effective for many MSers but many health insurers won't cover it..... Why? Who determines what a medication should be used for?
      I've been told it's only "approved" for narcolepsy and night shift work. Isn't that what our fatigue is - I can fall asleep at anytime! I now take at least two naps a day.

Comment

I just visited a urologist who said that there was a chance that using modafinil could lead to an increased possibility of UTI's. Just my 2 cents.
        I still use 200mgs daily.

Comment

I have done both and agree with HunterD...caffeine is a short-term boost, provigil lasts longer...much longer.

Jerry - I had no clue it was associated with a higher risk of UTIs (sigh).

Comment

I was wondering if there was some other MS specific benefit from the Provigil vs just the caffeine pill. (Caffeine pills make me feel horribly jittery. Even with a tiny bit of a caffeine pill.)

Comment

DebbieB,
              The UTI comment was from my urologist. I don't know if there is actual 'study' data to support it.

Comment

Fatigue is such a traumatic symptom of MS. A life changer, and not for the better! I cannot imagine that there isn't a way around the red tape to get generic Provigel after an MS diagnosis. A doctor's recommendation carries tremendous weight for insurers.

Generic Provigel works for me, but I try not to take it all the time as it will eventually lose it's effectiveness. You can max out the dosage pretty quick, and in my case, there is nothing left I haven't tried for fatigue. I do a lot of coffee on a regular basis and save my generic Provigel for special occasions.

Eventually I have to pay back the extra energy received. Once my body discovers it's been tricked out of it's daily fatigue, extra recovery time is soon required, but it is worth it in the mean time. I hate taking any drugs unless they are absolutely necessary, but living your life half asleep is the worst.. This is a serious quality of life concern in my opinion.
                Tawanda

Comment

Working...
                X