nurses with ms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eam123 View Post
    Sometimes when I have a normal 'brain fart' or can't remember what I am doing, I get worried that people are thinking it must be my MS.
    This is a big worry for me also and a small part of why I decided not to disclose for now. When things get worse with my MS I will have to bite the bullet and tell. I'm also in grad school to increase my marketability as my physical capabilities decrease. I hate having to think about this before I'm even 50 years old!

Boylecen, thank you so much for sharing information about your great job! I bet your living expenses are lower in NC which makes it even sweeter.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

newly diagnosed, work twelve hour shifts in LTC just started meds having trouble remembering things and have extreme fatigue, i am worried about doing harm to my patients i have had a needle stick(dirty) due to a numb hand, and have made one med error( nothing serious but made me mad) i do have good days but i am 2 call ins away from being fired, cant afford not to work but when does one call it quits? i am only 34 i have never done anything but healthcare, 9 years cna and 9 years lpn i would be lost without it.

Comment

Barely Managing

I was in Nursing for 30 years, worked my way through as a CNA until I became an RN. I had to retire in 2007, as I had cerebellar involvement and developed a left sided weakness. I was diagnosed in 2004 with MS, and inability to walk. I am now caring for my Mother. I am an only child so I have to do it. She is on Home Hospice as she will not eat, is losing weight every day, and has severe pain. I am upset as my family nearby will not even call. Her nieces and nephews seem to have forgotten her. It hurts as the only people who care are in other states.
        Sorry, I have to vent.

Thanks.

Comment

RE: Your Question

Sorry I did not answer you properly. I was dx'd in 2004 when I suddenly became unable to walk. I also developed spasticity. I continued working with Rehab patients. In 2007 I suddenly developed left sided weakness. I was already on Copaxone. The Neuro refused to let me go back to work. They would not place me on a light duty job at work. I was unable to collect LTD due to having a pre-existing illness. I ended up having to apply for disability.
          They put me through a series of tests, and my doctor finally offered to write a letter to SSDI. After more than 2 years of waiting and no income, they approved me.
          Please see if your doctor will go to bat for you. It can possibly help speed things up.

Best of Luck to You.

Wendy

Comment

All posts dated 2009, You guys still here?

Hello, RN since 2000, ER always, along c ICU and Hospice, became a travel nurse Aug 2008 and dx May 2010, sx mild, glad to talk to peers c the same dx and fears going on. Please let me know if this is still going, I've never blogged or chatted in rooms before, I hope I'm doing it right.

Comment

Frustration!

You're right- it's hard not knowing- is this the MS or something else and it seems the Dr's don't know and just blow things off!

Originally posted by evelyn View Post
              I AM TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THAT THIS DISEASE IS JUST AS COMPLEX TO UNDERSTAND TO ME AS SOME OF THE DOCTORS OUT THERE. I COMPLAIN THAT MY BACK HURTS SO BAD THAT EVEN LYING DOWN HURTS, SO WE DO X-RAYS, MRI, NOTHING SHOWS, SO IT'S KIND OF PUSHED ASIDE, AND I WAS TOLD HOW ABOUT EXERCISING, NOW COME ON, MY BODY ACHES AND YOU WANT ME TO EXERCISE, I TRY YO WALK AND MY LEGS ARE LIKE JELLY, MORE TESTS, NO ANSWERS, SO NOW WE TRY HIGH DOSE STEROIDS, HORRIBLE SIDE AFFECTS!!!!!! MY FACE IS NOW BECOMING NUMB, CALL THE DOCTOR, GO FOR ANOTHER EXAM, HE SAYS THAT THIS IS UNFORTUNATLY THE MS, HOW DOES HE KNOW THAT, IT SEEMS LIKE WHEN I TELL HIM A NEW SYMPTOM, HE SAYS "IT'S PART OF THE MS" THIS IS NOT A KNEW DISEASE, I'M SO FRUSTRATED, THAT THERE IS NEVER A ANSWER!!!!!!!!

Comment

Newly diagnosed RN help

Originally posted by 100000182529752@facebook View Post
                newly diagnosed, work twelve hour shifts in LTC just started meds having trouble remembering things and have extreme fatigue, i am worried about doing harm to my patients i have had a needle stick(dirty) due to a numb hand, and have made one med error( nothing serious but made me mad) i do have good days but i am 2 call ins away from being fired, cant afford not to work but when does one call it quits? i am only 34 i have never done anything but healthcare, 9 years cna and 9 years lpn i would be lost without it.
                I was diagnosed 4/1/2011 April fools day huh? I work as an ortho nurse and have been for 5 years. We recently had to go to 12 hour shifts and it is hard. I get soooo fatigued, forget stuff and towards the end of the shift I will stumble and my legs will be tingly. Sometimes I get scare but I LOVE my job!!
                I had my dr fill out FMLA. Can you get that to protect you at work. When I call in for my MS it doesn't count against me. I would love to chat with other RNs dealing with this too. I am 33.
                SillyD
                Dx RMMS 4/1/2011

Comment

I am also a nurse. I work in critical care and have been since 1997. I am currently on medical leave while we are trying to figure out all this MS stuff. I feel so foggy some days that I worry that if I were at work I would really screw something up. Plus my right eye is all "wonky" from the ON.

My husband (who is also an ICU RN) is pretty adamant about me staying home for awhile until I feel up to it and then no more night shifts! LOL! He works full time days and I do pool around his schedule. We have three daughters so they keep me busy too.

I have no idea what to do. I wish that I could wake up in the morning and this would all just be a dream!

Comment

Hello fellow RN-Msers

I too have been wondering about this thread. I would love to see it become more active again.

Started Gilenya today. During my 6 and 1/2 hr stay I was in the company of two other RN's that had come in for solumedrol. As I was also getting that during my stay, we had plenty to chat about. I was so surprised that all three of the steroid infusions were to RN's. No other infusion pt's. Strange....

I hope that you are all well and taking good care of yourselves. :-)
                    Hugs ~ Margaret

Comment

Hey there, Margaret,

I'm Kim, I've posted a couple things in here before. I was just diagnosed last August, I'm a peds/neonatal intensive care nurse, working 24 hours a week inpatient. Love my job, hate MS, but am getting by fine, relatively, compared to what it could be.

I started out on Rebif, was on it 5 months before I had break through activity, an exacerbation which proved on MRI to be a new thoracic spinal lesion, at which point, my new neuro said we needed to "step up" therapy due to the greater risk of permanent disability with spinal lesions. I started Tysabri last month, and this morning, in 7 hours and 49 minutes (but who's counting), I'll have infusion number two, when I get off work.

Interesting that when you were there for your Gilenya, the only other people there for solumedrol infusions were nurses. Surely that was some crazy cosmic coincidence! (nice alliteration, that. )

Nice to meet you; hope you do well on the Gilenya and that you find yourself in a situation where you can forget you have MS for a while (I'm still waiting for that to happen; looking through the goofy vision I have now, lo these 8 months after it started, I don't see, no pun intended, that happening for me. )

Take care,
                      Kim

Comment

Working...
                      X