Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leg Weakness and Tingling

Hi All,

Not sure if MS or something more orthopedic in nature. Any insight greatly appreciated.

I started last week with an intermittent sensation when walking. It starts with a short sensation that feels like the L'HERMITES, sensation that would run down my back when I moved head down, just now, different location. It runs from the groin to the knee, which is followed by leg weakness and a hip that sometimes gives out. No real pain associated to it.

I didn't have any physical stress, like a fall or awkward movement that precipitated this. But did almost fall when leg gave out last night. So now wondering if neuro call or orthopedist.

I was leaning towards orthopedist since I only feel it when walking and it is intermittent. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
    I didn't have any physical stress, like a fall or awkward movement that precipitated this. But did almost fall when leg gave out last night. So now wondering if neuro call or orthopedist.

I was leaning towards orthopedist since I only feel it when walking and it is intermittent.
    Hi Kathy

When I have pain or other sensations on my leg or foot - such as if I bump my leg or foot, spill something hot or cold on it, touch my leg or foot against the cold shower chair leg or tub, have a sore muscle from overuse or overstretching, etc - the already impaired nerve signals get confused and my leg will either weaken or get tight with spasticity.

So, my non-professional thought is that your tingly sensation, which seems to come first, might be triggering the leg and hip weakness.

Now, what could be causing that sensation? Maybe the orthopedist visit first?

Hopefully it's a just a passing irritation of sorts and it will pass.

In the meantime, maybe a cane would be helpful so you don't fall?

In any case, hopefully it's temporary.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Well crap! It's so difficult sometimes to try and figure out what Dr. to contact <sigh> I think either Dr. (Neuro or Orthopedist) would work. You might see who can get you in first, at least for me that would be the deciding factor.

Take care Kathy
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
        You might see who can get you in first, at least for me that would be the deciding factor.
        I agree. Either one will hopefully refer you back to the other with their findings. L'hermitte's led to what was my last exacerbation 9 years ago. It too was irritating and intermittent, but a new symptom. Hope you're not experiencing a flare up and it's just one of those strange sensations that will abate.

Take care!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks KoKo, Snoopy, and Seesha.

I apparently now have the stomach bug that seems to be making the rounds this summer. Going to hope maybe associated to that. Going away this weekend for the week, really pray nothing. Will take a cane just in case.
          Kathy

Comment

I hope your feeling better before your trip

Going to hope maybe associated to that.
            That would be my thought too.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
              I hope your feeling better before your trip
              Thanks Snoopy. Feel better already. Leg issue still with me. If it hangs in, will call neuro when I get back.
              Kathy

Comment

Hello. That sucks. Go to the neuro first. The Orthopaedic person will probably send you there anyway. Save you a trip. 👍

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
                  Hello. That sucks. Go to the neuro first. The Orthopaedic person will probably send you there anyway. Save you a trip. 👍
                  Thanks Think. We had a nice refreshing break in our summer weather. Both the dog and I enjoyed our morning walk. The leg didn't give out once! So relieved, may have been the virus. But still a little tingly. After vacation, probably will call neuro if still there. Good point that orthopedist probably would punt!
                  Kathy

Comment

Had what sounds like the same thing. I went to Ortho first since I've had my hips replaced and the groin pain was almost identical to what I felt pre-replacement. After many X-rays, bone scan, etc..., all "structural " systems were ok. Next was a trip to my neuro who easily diagnosed it as chronic spasticity of the hamstring. I know that sounds unlikely, but physical therapy proved to work great... I suffered for months while the professionals were trying to figure it out... I still have the spasticity but now I have "tools" to help resolve the episodes - baclofen (of course,) stretching using a special strap, and something called "The Stick" that helps to smooth the spasm out.Use something to consider...
                    Diagnosed 1998...
                    😉 MS gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Shop 'till you drop!" Diagnosed 1998. Recently changed to SPMS

Comment

Thanks Jonor. Glad to hear your hard work paid off! It seemed to have let up while on vacation. Will see how this week goes. I will definitely keep in mind if spasticity related.
                      Kathy

Comment

Working...
                      X