How do you exercise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you exercise?

It seems that exercise is the cure all for everything. But how do you get this needed exercise when your body doesn't co operate and everything hurts or exhausts you?

I used to walk a lot but have gotten older and lazy and everything hurts so I just quit the regular walking. I would like to do something to help myself.

What kind of easy exercise do you all try?
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Well, I find the 99 steps and back to the loo, ten times a night exercise enough. 😇

Comment

Marti anything you can do to keep moving is better than doing nothing. Each of us has different abilities/disabilities which will dictate how and what king of exercise a person can do.

Get up and walking around your home several times a day, try yoga, Pilate bands, hand weights (canned goods will also work), and gentle stretching. Exercise doesn't need to be strenuous or tiring to be beneficial.

If your Drs. can help get your pain under control that might be helpful in your ability to exercise.

Thinkimjob:
      Well, I find the 99 steps and back to the loo, ten times a night exercise enough
      Counting steps is actually really good My husband doesn't have any limitations but he is always counting steps and stairs.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I agree that exercise for those with MS depends on how your MS affects your daily life. Since my MS affects my hip flexors and therefore walking ability, I evolved from a stationary bike (boring!) to a Pilates reformer (laying down) to swimming in a therapy pool. Since water "eliminates" 2/3rd's of the effects of gravity, swimming is where I'm at, and I love it! 1 hour, 3 days a week, and I'm good to go!

In the beginning I had to drive 55 miles one way, change into my suit, swim, change out of my suit, and drive home. With MS progression, the process became unsustainable, and my husband and I bit the bullet and installed a therapy pool with a remote controlled underwater treadmill. The cost was ridiculous, but what the ****, it's only money! Heck, you only live once!

I truly believe the pool's effect on my MS has been substantial. I've had it for a little over two years, and I feel so much better.

If you're able to and enjoy it, I'd recommend you look at swimming. For me, it's the best decision I ever made.

Comment

Some easy things I either do sometimes, or have tried in the past:
          1. - I wear a pedometer. It helps me to just wear one. I find that I intentionally take a few more steps multiple times a day when I wear one -- even just walking in place while I'm getting something out of the fridge or washing my hands or whatever. Short little things that are almost no effort.

Pedometer -- Some inexpensive brands that I have tried seem useless and not very accurate. I like the OMRON brand and I buy it at Amazon. Mine lasted for years and years until I lost it. I replaced it with the same one because I liked it so well.
            Some people have a FitBit; I've thought about trying that instead. It's less bulky than wearing a pedometer.
          2. - Every time I go to the bathroom, I walk in place for an extra 100 steps (when I remember). It adds a little bit. If you don't want to do 100, do 50. Or even 20. Everything is better than nothing.
          3. - Sometimes, joining a gym that has easy classes helps to motivate, if there are others exercising too. It can become a social time. Look for Silver Sneakers classes, and, if even they are too difficult, modify them to suit you. Or arthritis classes.
          4. - Try easy stretching or yoga or aerobics on WiiFit, if you have one.
          5. - Search for "chair yoga" exercises on YouTube.
          6. - Don't do too much at once, if it tires you. Set the timer for 10 minutes of exercise if you need to. Start with 10 minutes, once a day, 3 times a week. And, increase your goal. To whatever you decide. Consider doing 10 minutes 3 times a day, in the future.
          7. - Every time there is a 2 or 3 minute commercial on TV, get up and walk back and forth from room to room until your show is back on. Again, wear a pedometer so you can measure steps.

• And, set a goal. I mean, really. Without setting a goal, it's harder to motivate yourself.
          • Make it a S.M.A.R.T. goal. You'll find out what that is here in the first post of this thread: http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ek-of-01-12-17
          • Consider joining our weekly Exercise CheckIn in the Wellness Room. Here is our most recent one; we start every week on Thursday, so we are just starting today. You can go back and look at some old ones if you want to see what we do and how we post. We just re-started this thread in January. We used to have one in the past which had been discontinued for awhile. http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...n-for-03-23-17

But, keep it reasonable for you. Set your own goals. You don't have to do what I say, or what anyone else says. If you set your own goals that you are "willing" to do, they are more likely to happen than if you set a goal that someone else says you "should" set. You're the boss.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi I agree with mamabug and most off what others have said.
            You definitely need to set your own goals.

Just felt i wanted to add something.

I have been to physio many times in the past. This helped mostly because she could tell which muscles I simply was not using and what i was and modify the technique so i knew if i was getting it right because i couldn't tell. Supposedly simple things like sitting on the edge of a table or desk (anything with feet dangling) and lift one knee at a time. I couldn't do this!
            Another- Sit up straight , squeeze shoulders back and adjust posture in order to clench muscles from bra down to waist . Couldn't get it . Working some muscles others not being used. This so called simple thing was very difficult for me to do without her watching my back and telling me when i got it right so i knew what it felt like.
            I discovered that in general the majority of my pain was being caused by me unconsciously over using some muscles and not using others.
            And I would have continued doing this if she hadn't clearly changed my perception of what my own body was doing to compensate.

The other thing is that although going to PT was a good learning experience for me, I truly believe that in order for any person to succeed at something they must also get enjoyment or satisfaction from doing it. Other wise it just becomes a chore. This is why things like exercising to music with others is so popular.

I am not the type of person who would go to the gym and pay to exercise just for the sake of exercising. But I would work until I couldn't stand if i was getting paid for it and I would kill my self to have my home and yard absolutely spick and span if i were getting visitors to make them welcome and so I could enjoy my time with them by having as much as possible prepared prior.
            These and other things would usually motivate me- what motivates you?

For many years i 'Pushed through" the sometimes very intense pain to achieve things and I personally believe that although this caused me lots of pain and distress it also helped to minimise muscle atrophy.
            I have slowed to practically a stop in the last couple of years and its worrying me how noticeable the thinning of my arms and legs etc are becoming and how weak i am. At first it was a pleasure because of the diminished pain. But now I'm beginning to pay the price for that peaceful pleasure after so long. Like they say "no pain no gain".

Yes I had to constantly pop pain meds but my overall well being benefited from remaining as active and useful as possible. Even professional athletes go through incredible pain sometimes to achieve what they do.
            So to summarise i believe you should consider doing something you would 'like' to do that will make you fitter and consider the way you do it so as to get the most benefit and not hurt yourself, But don't be afraid of a margin of discomfit and occasionally push yourself a little past 'your limits' then make sure you rest and recover and see if a little down the track you feel a little better able to accomplish your goals.
            Some times we don't know what we can do till we try.
            All the best and please keep us posted.

Comment

[QUOTE=ru4cats;1500313]I agree that exercise for those with MS depends on how your MS affects your daily life. Since my MS affects my hip flexors and therefore walking ability, I evolved from a stationary bike (boring!) to a Pilates reformer (laying down) to swimming in a therapy pool. Since water "eliminates" 2/3rd's of the effects of gravity, swimming is where I'm at, and I love it! 1 hour, 3 days a week, and I'm good to go!

In the beginning I had to drive 55 miles one way, change into my suit, swim, change out of my suit, and drive home. With MS progression, the process became unsustainable, and my husband and I bit the bullet and installed a therapy pool with a remote controlled underwater treadmill. The cost was ridiculous, but what the ****, it's only money! Heck, you only live once!

I truly believe the pool's effect on my MS has been substantial. I've had it for a little over two years, and I feel so much better.

If you're able to and enjoy it, I'd recommend you look at swimming. For me, it's the best decision I ever made.[/QUOTE

I agree that swimming is the best exercise. When you eliminate gravity there is so much less chance of injury or aches and pains afterwards.

It's tough when you have to drive somewhere, shower and change, then drive home afterwards. I'm going to try taking someone with me to see if it makes a difference. They can drive, make sure I don't fall and comb my hair after I shower.

I used to be able to swim in an outdoor pool year round. But I moved and all they have most of the year are indoor pools. It's a really different experience.
              There is something about swimming outdoors that is really special.

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                Marti anything you can do to keep moving is better than doing nothing. Each of us has different abilities/disabilities which will dictate how and what king of exercise a person can do.

Get up and walking around your home several times a day, try yoga, Pilate bands, hand weights (canned goods will also work), and gentle stretching. Exercise doesn't need to be strenuous or tiring to be beneficial.

If your Drs. can help get your pain under control that might be helpful in your ability to exercise.

Counting steps is actually really good My husband doesn't have any limitations but he is always counting steps and stairs.

The one thing I do is walk around the house a lot. I'm kind of antsy anyway so it's not hard to make the laps. Thanks.
                Marti

Comment

Originally posted by ru4cats View Post
                  I agree that exercise for those with MS depends on how your MS affects your daily life. Since my MS affects my hip flexors and therefore walking ability, I evolved from a stationary bike (boring!) to a Pilates reformer (laying down) to swimming in a therapy pool. Since water "eliminates" 2/3rd's of the effects of gravity, swimming is where I'm at, and I love it! 1 hour, 3 days a week, and I'm good to go!

If you're able to and enjoy it, I'd recommend you look at swimming. For me, it's the best decision I ever made.

I used to go to the YMCA water classes. I left there sick as a dog. Later my neuro told me I should have only stayed in the water for about ten minutes to start. I was in it for the whole hour long class. Mistake. But I love the water. We have moved so I'm not near enough anymore and this town doesn't have a pool. Thanks. I like your suggestions.
                  Marti

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                    Some easy things I either do sometimes, or have tried in the past:
                    1. - I wear a pedometer. It helps me to just wear one. I find that I intentionally take a few more steps multiple times a day when I wear one -- even just walking in place while I'm getting something out of the fridge or washing my hands or whatever. Short little things that are almost no effort.

Pedometer -- Some inexpensive brands that I have tried seem useless and not very accurate. I like the OMRON brand and I buy it at Amazon. Mine lasted for years and years until I lost it. I replaced it with the same one because I liked it so well.
                      Some people have a FitBit; I've thought about trying that instead. It's less bulky than wearing a pedometer.
                    2. - Every time I go to the bathroom, I walk in place for an extra 100 steps (when I remember). It adds a little bit. If you don't want to do 100, do 50. Or even 20. Everything is better than nothing.
                    3. - Sometimes, joining a gym that has easy classes helps to motivate, if there are others exercising too. It can become a social time. Look for Silver Sneakers classes, and, if even they are too difficult, modify them to suit you. Or arthritis classes.
                    4. - Try easy stretching or yoga or aerobics on WiiFit, if you have one.
                    5. - Search for "chair yoga" exercises on YouTube.
                    6. - Don't do too much at once, if it tires you. Set the timer for 10 minutes of exercise if you need to. Start with 10 minutes, once a day, 3 times a week. And, increase your goal. To whatever you decide. Consider doing 10 minutes 3 times a day, in the future.
                    7. - Every time there is a 2 or 3 minute commercial on TV, get up and walk back and forth from room to room until your show is back on. Again, wear a pedometer so you can measure steps.

• And, set a goal. I mean, really. Without setting a goal, it's harder to motivate yourself.
                    • Make it a S.M.A.R.T. goal. You'll find out what that is here in the first post of this thread: http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ek-of-01-12-17
                    • Consider joining our weekly Exercise CheckIn in the Wellness Room. Here is our most recent one; we start every week on Thursday, so we are just starting today. You can go back and look at some old ones if you want to see what we do and how we post. We just re-started this thread in January. We used to have one in the past which had been discontinued for awhile. http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...n-for-03-23-17

But, keep it reasonable for you. Set your own goals. You don't have to do what I say, or what anyone else says. If you set your own goals that you are "willing" to do, they are more likely to happen than if you set a goal that someone else says you "should" set. You're the boss.

Thanks so much. All good advice. Some of it I already do... some are new ideas for me. Hang in there Sister.
                    Marti

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
                      Hi I agree with mamabug and most off what others have said.
                      You definitely need to set your own goals.

Just felt i wanted to add something.

I have been to physio many times in the past. This helped mostly because she could tell which muscles I simply was not using and what i was and modify the technique so i knew if i was getting it right because i couldn't tell. Supposedly simple things like sitting on the edge of a table or desk (anything with feet dangling) and lift one knee at a time. I couldn't do this!
                      Another- Sit up straight , squeeze shoulders back and adjust posture in order to clench muscles from bra down to waist . Couldn't get it . Working some muscles others not being used. This so called simple thing was very difficult for me to do without her watching my back and telling me when i got it right so i knew what it felt like.
                      I discovered that in general the majority of my pain was being caused by me unconsciously over using some muscles and not using others.
                      And I would have continued doing this if she hadn't clearly changed my perception of what my own body was doing to compensate.

The other thing is that although going to PT was a good learning experience for me, I truly believe that in order for any person to succeed at something they must also get enjoyment or satisfaction from doing it. Other wise it just becomes a chore. This is why things like exercising to music with others is so popular.

I am not the type of person who would go to the gym and pay to exercise just for the sake of exercising. But I would work until I couldn't stand if i was getting paid for it and I would kill my self to have my home and yard absolutely spick and span if i were getting visitors to make them welcome and so I could enjoy my time with them by having as much as possible prepared prior.
                      These and other things would usually motivate me- what motivates you?

For many years i 'Pushed through" the sometimes very intense pain to achieve things and I personally believe that although this caused me lots of pain and distress it also helped to minimise muscle atrophy.
                      I have slowed to practically a stop in the last couple of years and its worrying me how noticeable the thinning of my arms and legs etc are becoming and how weak i am. At first it was a pleasure because of the diminished pain. But now I'm beginning to pay the price for that peaceful pleasure after so long. Like they say "no pain no gain".

Yes I had to constantly pop pain meds but my overall well being benefited from remaining as active and useful as possible. Even professional athletes go through incredible pain sometimes to achieve what they do.
                      So to summarise i believe you should consider doing something you would 'like' to do that will make you fitter and consider the way you do it so as to get the most benefit and not hurt yourself, But don't be afraid of a margin of discomfit and occasionally push yourself a little past 'your limits' then make sure you rest and recover and see if a little down the track you feel a little better able to accomplish your goals.
                      Some times we don't know what we can do till we try.
                      All the best and please keep us posted.

Thank you so much. I try to avoid a lot of meds... even pain meds. I am scheduled to see a pain clinic in May. I did go to a physio... whatever once. Was totally disappointed. I had some PT last year which wasn't too bad. They found I have spinal stenosis.. upper and lower... so maybe the pain clinic can work with me on that. Lots of burning pain which I assume is nerve pain. I am under a terrible amount of anxiety with a sick husband so that doesn't help matters. I'm going to save this thread so I will remember all the good advice.
                      Marti

Comment

Thank you all so much for the answers. Today I was outside and a neighbor walked by and stopped to talk. It wasn't long before my legs just went to jelly and I was just wanting to drop. Not sure what that is... weakness I guess. Maybe some anxiety. I can usually walk around the house or yard or the store.. as long as I don't stand still for long. I don't consider my brand of MS to be too bad, but I can see things spiraling downwards a little more and more.

Anyway, love you all.
                        Marti

Comment

Today I was outside and a neighbor walked by and stopped to talk. It wasn't long before my legs just went to jelly and I was just wanting to drop. Not sure what that is... weakness I guess. Maybe some anxiety. I can usually walk around the house or yard or the store.. as long as I don't stand still for long

I've had this too - can keep walking but to just stand is hard, I'm always looking for a seat.
                          But it's not just my legs it's every where - eg my hands, forearms etc seize up and refuse to work after holding the steering wheel to drive, hand holding computer mouse etc etc.

It seems easier to do large movements than fine motor skills. Writing is becoming illegible.

All the best Marti

Comment

Even wheelie-walkering, there comes a moment when my legs just collapse.

And then oops, save my head, hurt my arms, hurt my knees, drop gracefully (ha) to the floor.

Then I watch "How to Stand When You Fall Over" on YouTube and psyche myself up to regain my feet.

Sometimes I just have to crawl, or drag myself down the hallway (nice, slidey, floorboards) until I can get myself to some solid furniture.

Great exercise, though.🙃
                            I have arms like a bodybuilder.

Comment

Hi Marti!
                              You have gotten so great ideas and responses and in fact I am going to research that therapy pool.

For me the best exercise that I have done consistently is Pilates, on the reformer. The reformer is a bit intimidating so it is recommended to take 3 private classes first. The benefit is that the workout can be made harder or easier just by changing spring tensions, adding or limiting the number of reps of an exercise and/or resting (or not!) in between exercises as needed.

Almost 8 years ago, when I was diagnosed, I was still able to run (47 years old), although about 30 minutes was my max. Now, if I run my risk of tripping/falling is high, so I really just don't run anymore. (Yes, even though I wasn't a big runner, I miss it.). My "thing" was mountain biking and overvthese MS years I have still bicycled quite a bit. But this past summer, I had lots of dizziness and didn't want to risk falling; I hope to get back on my mountain bike this summer. I alsowalk several days each week and average around 7 miles a week; special thanks go out to my puppies that insanely wimper, nudge and lick me to go for a walk!

While I think I am doing pretty good over all, I do definitely struggle emotionally as I had pictured my athletic abilities much different, even now at 55. I too feel the loss of many activities I thought I would still be doing or enjoying with my daughters, husband and friends. (A good friend is training for a 1/2 marathon and I am so mad that I can't do that too! Grrrr!)

All and all, I am most grateful to Joseph Pilates for creating an exercise solution that has helped me so much with keeping my core strong. Pilates has truly been the key in my mobility, despite MS.

Best wishes to figuring out what is best for you. If it doesn't work or seem to fit, you can always change it up!! A PT may be quite helpful in coming up with solutions that work for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X