Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tecfidera and Thyroid???

My son just got his results from his MRI - 2 new lesion in frontal lobe

But more concerning to me - a 1.7 cm bright spot in right lobe of thyroid gland???????

Anyone?? Dr. wants a endocrine doctor to evaluate
    Dedra
    Son with MS

Tecfidera

[QUOTE=D_HOLLAND;1493021]My son just got his results from his MRI - 2 new lesion in frontal lobe

But more concerning to me - a 1.7 cm bright spot in right lobe of thyroid gland???????

Anyone?? Dr. wants a endocrine doctor

How enlarged were the actually thyroid itself? my neuro sent me for ultrasounds on thyroid and came back enlarged and had some spots also.this is what they told me my results were,
    The right thyroid lobe measures 5.0 x 1.5 x 2.2 cm. The left thyroid lobe measures 4.5 x 1.7 x 1.9 cm. Isthmus measures 0.4 cm. Several hypoechoic areas bilaterally the largest on right = 5.5 x 3.2mm; largest on left = 4.2 x 1.8mm. Impression: 1. Mildly enlarged thyroid gland. 2. Nonspecific probably benign bilateral hypoechic nodules.

She wasn't too worried just yet and wanted to have another scheduled for 6 months. I would make the appt to have it checked more thoughly but try not to worry too much just yet, there has been some people with larger nodules that have no lingering issues after either having them removed or just biopsied. I wonder if the medication itself is affecting thyroid, I've never had any issues with my thyroid before this.
    I too have at least one lesion in frontal lobe, those ones always worry me. I've been told I have enough lesions that it looked like I was a 50yo diagnosed young, I was 29 at the time and diagnosed at 22. I am in a spot where she wants to talk about changing off Tecfidera(another switch ) because the last 3 or 4 monthly liver tests have come back worse everytime.

Comment

Thanks for the response, hoping to get an appointment soon the have the endocronlogist (sp) take a look.

My son was dx'd in 2007 when he was 23 - over 100 brain lesions and too many to count in his spine. Was a very rough and scary 6 months until he was put on Tysabri - was on tysabri and things improved dramically until his JVC count got to high and the risk became too high for PML and he was switched to Tecfidera.

Now his first flare, so very disappointed but we move on!!
      Dedra
      Son with MS

Comment

This may not be the result of Tec as us MS patients are susceptible to other Autoimmune issues to include Thyroid problems. For the last 10 years I have had extremely low Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, TSH. And for years my Dr. just said I was at the low end of the normal range. Now they have raised the low end of normal range so I am now Extremely low at 0.10 uIU/ml when the new range is 0.4-4.5 uIU/ml.

To top this all off I have had a very high resting heart rate for years at 100+ which the endocrinologist thinks is caused by a thyroid or pituitary gland problem. So now I will be ingesting radioactive iodine so they can scan my thyroid to see if there are any nodules. The odd thing is my younger brother and sister both have thyroid problems as well but I am the only one with MS.

Maybe I hit the Autoimmune disease lotto? My poor wife has Ulcerative Colitis, another Autoimmune disease. If it weren't for modern medical care most of my family would probably be gone already!

Comment

We have an appointment now on June 7, so anxious to hear the next step.
          Dedra
          Son with MS

Comment

Endocrinologist Appt

Hi Dedra,

I was just wondering how things went with the endocrinologist appt. I have thyroid issues but they started when I was taking Rebif. Unfortunately just because a person has MS doesn't mean they cannot acquire another autoimmune disease or some other lovely illness. Seems like 1 major illness/disease/disorder/syndrome would be enough for anyone, doesn't it? I hope all went well. please keep us posted.

IRENE

Comment

I just had a thyroid scan and it was normal. The problem is the Drs. still don't know why my TSH is so low but they already turned in a new Rx they want me to start on, tapazole, to "calm down" my thyroid. I've asked several more questions that I need answered before adding yet another pill to my daily handfuls that I take already. More to follow...

Comment

4 nodules on the right one on the left - the large one on the right 1.9 cm they want a biopsy on
                So Thursday morning we go for a fine needle biopsy - we'll let you know the results.

Thanks
                Dedra
                Son with MS

Comment

I hope for the best for your son, Dedra. My endocrinologist has started me tapazole now that he officially diagnosed me as having hyperthyroidism. Even though my T3, T4 and TPO are within the normal range they at the very high end and my TSH is low, low, low. Now I need to talk with my neuro and let him know what is going on. It's always something...

Comment

Working...
                  X