Travel Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Problems

I am thinking about taking a cross country train ride. My MS causes me to stagger a bit, balane issues and I get motion sickness pretty easy. Has anyone taken a train ride that has similar symptoms. I'm a little worried about the train car swaying a little. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Hi unlike car and air travel I have never been sick on a train as you get to look around and move about, I also stumble about and I use a cane or walker, so the rocking of the train may make you walk straight while everyone else is rocking around "just kidding" I really hope you enjoy your trip and all works out well for you not being sick Craig

Comment

I don't have any answers, but sometime the best answers comes from experience. I hope that you are able to take this trip and that you both enjoy making memories.

I heard that you can travel across country for a good price on the train, if you plane it well. Look it up online and LIVE!

Comment

If you are very susceptible to motion sickness, you may want to try a scopolamine patch.

I used them during a cruise last year.

You PCP can prescribe them.

Comment

Train Travel

My family and I took the train to Florida a while back. I didn't have any problems, even though I also have balance issues. It was kind of fun!
          Hope you enjoy your trip!

Comment

I second the scopalomine patch suggestion. I have severe motion sickness in cars because of my vertigo and use them for trips longer than an hour. *WARNING* If you do use them be careful not to touch the patch (It sits just behind your ear, so brushing your hair back can cause you to touch it without thinking) and then touch your eyes. The patch causes vision issues (for me at least and a few others I've spoken to) and for me it comes on faster/stronger if I forget and rub my eyes.

I've noticed that the vision issues only happen with prolonged use. The patches are meant to last for up to 3 days, but I rarely keep them on longer than 1. They cause my eyes to un-focus and make everything incredibly blurry. This usually escalates gradually until I literally can't read anything because my vision is so blurred and cause me to become what I suspect could be classified as legally blind. I keep a few in reserve for road trips because I save them for the really long trips that would be a nightmare to go on otherwise. So long car rides/family visits/times when I know I'll have to be in the car a lot. They work beautifully in the *Not making me puke up my soul* department, but the vision issues are so severe that I only use them when I really need to. Good luck!

~Elly~
            I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through.

Comment

Working...
            X