Amtrak travel in a Wheelchai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amtrak travel in a Wheelchai

I am thinking of traveling for a family event via Amtrak.
    I am in a manual wheelchair with no ability to walk or stand,don't really get out much as everything so challenging.

I see you can get a ticket to reserve a space on the train for the wheelchair, and a companion ticket for my husband.

Appreciate any advice or information from anyone that has take the train

Travelling by Amtrak

I've traveled by Amtrak before on a short 4 hour trip and a long 8-9 hour trip. I wasn't in a wheelchair, but I saw the seats for disabled ticket holders because I've seriously considered them. They are (of course) downstairs and there's space for your wheelchair and seats for others who have disabled tickets (or companion tickets). I wasn't in that area so I don't know what the bathroom was like but it would have to be ADA compliant. The train travel wasn't bad. I had crosswords and my young sons had electronic devices to entertain them. It was nice because the seats had chargers for the devices. I can't remember if it had wifi, but I probably used my phone data plan. There was a snack bar on the trains I was on. The biggest drawback (for me) was that it took longer than it would take me to drive because of all the stops along the way, but I won't be able to make the drive all the time so I'm glad it's available. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Comment

I hope that you will go on this adventure and come back with advice for the rest of us, with the latest advice. Have fun! can't wait to hear about your travels.

Comment

Hi bluegiraffe! I'm sure you've seen this information already, but can be helpful for others thinking about train travel- https://www.amtrak.com/making-reserv...h-a-disability There is also this - https://www.amtrak.com/wheeled-mobility-device-services about boarding and de-boarding.

I see you need a written note from a health provider showing you are disabled and you need to make your reservation well in advance. It's great that they offer a discount for you and your companion...

I've never ridden a long distance train before, but would love to someday! I hope you travels are smooth going and you enjoy the ride

Let us know how it goes!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank you all for the helpful feedback & links!

Comment

Working...
          X