• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World MS Day

World MS Day
    May 25
    "Maintaining Independence Despite MS"

Come join us in recognition of World MS Day! http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...espite-MS-quot

We welcome your tips, suggestions, and experiences on the various ways you've maintained (or reclaimed) your independence during your MS journey. Some examples might include physical therapy, an exercise program, mobility aids (such as a cane, walker, or wheelchair), adaptive equipment (such as shower chair, handrails, utensils), ankle foot orthotics, medications (such as Baclofen, Ampyra), etc.

Please share!
    Last edited by Kimba22; 05-13-2016, 02:16 PM.
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Hello

Not totally independent, but fortunately I do have a measure of independence in some areas.

By using an AFO brace which helps me to lift my right leg, and a rollator (with a seat), I am able to stand and ambulate safely around my very small apartment.

The rollator also enables me to prepare meals on my own (besides sitting on it, the seat is also very useful for transporting items), walk to the restroom on my own, and perform light housekeeping chores such as doing the dishes, dusting, wiping countertops, brush the toilet, etc. (while either sitting or standing).

By using a shower bench, I am able to sit on the bench and slide over (lifting my weakest leg) in order to take a shower, using a hand held sprayer.

Ironically, having some help from others can foster independence. For instance, I am able to stay in my apartment, thanks to help from my sister who comes over regularly and takes the trash out, goes grocery shopping, takes the laundry to do at her house, vacuums and mops the floors, and other things I am not able to do.

Using a semi-recumbent stationary bike helps to keep my legs as strong as possible. Using an arm cycle exerciser and doing range of motion exercises helps to keep my arms as functional as possible. Doing easy leg and arm stretches seems to keep spasticity manageable, with no meds.

Thankfully I've been on a plateau and feeling well for about the past year (no noticeable progression and even slight improvement) except for having temporary increased symptoms from a virus I had which resolved when the virus was gone.

Regularly included in my diet: greek yogurt, eggs, sardines, shrimp, walnuts, spinach, sweet potato, red peppers, whole grain bread, olive oil.

Supplements: Vitamin D, B-Complex, cranberry soft gels, (also just started turmeric). I do not take any meds.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
    X