Applying to Nursing School and Disclosing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applying to Nursing School and Disclosing

Hi everyone, I learned today that my nuclear power plant is shutting down, which means I'll need to find a new job soon. I've always wanted to be a nurse, so I'm making lemonade out of this lemon. I hope. :-)

I'm applying to nursing school, in particular an accelerated BSN program. In the questionnaire, it asks if there are any reasons that I would have difficulty (physically or academically) completing the program. I'm newly diagnosed, have only had one clinical exacerbation, am on Copaxone and my most recent MRI showed improvement. So my thought is that, no, there is no reason that I should have difficulty completing the 15-month program. I also do not have any cognitive or physical difficulties yet.

Do I need to disclose my MS as part of my application? The school requires us to have health insurance and offers it. I won't have COBRA the whole time I'm in school, so I'll need to use their insurance. Would that insurance disclose to the school that I'm on MS meds?

Thanks a bunch for any help you can offer!

GREAT Question

Hi Jess! I can totally relate! When I saw your question I just had to find my password so I could respond.

I just made a career change and was accepted into nursing school beginning in the fall of 2016. I have not disclosed anything and I don't plan to. No one has asked. Even if they asked....not sure what I'd say. I hope you get more responses from people. My bigger concern is what to say when I start interviewing in a couple of years. Do we have to disclose this at that point? Do they ask?

I found out I had MS in January of 2015 and they only think I've had it for a couple of years. My only symptom was optic neuritis for a month in 2014. My mouth twitched a little last summer, as well. I'm on rebif and my most recent MRI also showed that a few of my lesions have shrunk. So far, so good.

Good luck with nursing school and please keep us posted on what you decide to do. I am not sure, but I don't think that insurance can legally disclose to an "employer" what illnesses we have...? Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Lj
    "It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul." ˜William Ernest Henley

Comment

Hi to you both and welcome to nursing! I also changed careers after being diagnosed with MS secondary to concerns of having a more flexible career.

I can't speak legally but in my experience I did not disclose to any of my schools and had no problems completing a LPN, ADN, BSN, MS and post Master's certificate.

As for employers I have disclosed to the ones I was going to seek health benefits from but only after receiving a written offer of employment. I am able to complete the tasks required of my job so that wasn't an issue and I didn't want them to rescind a verbal offer if they found out I have MS which does cost even large employers in the long run. There has never been any evidence that anyone in employee health or anywhere else have been informed I have MS which is nice.

I have not disclosed to part-time and prn gigs where I was not going to receive their insurance. I also do not disclose to anyone except a few very close friends and family members. I have no intention of being scrutinized or possibly stigmatized based on this miserable disease if I can avoid it. At some point it may be necessary if I need accommodations but the plan is to have enough money banked to be able to say forget it and retire if/when that time comes.

Nursing has been a wonderful career for me and I'd do it again in a minute. Knock wood, I have been working multiple jobs without missing any time due to MS in 9 years. I have been both blessed and legitimately worked my butt of to get where I am. Good luck to you both!
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Working...
      X