25' WALK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25' WALK

What time is considered to be normal for the 25 foot walk test?
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
    What time is considered to be normal for the 25 foot walk test?
    Healthy person can walk 25 feet in 4 seconds or less.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/813508#vp_1

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

sinceI am in a wheelchair, it would be pretty amazing if I took 2.5 steps!I just want to bump this up.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

"The Google" says 8-45 seconds. I know the 8 is correct since that's where I am at. The 45 I'm not positive of.

Comment

Originally posted by ru4cats View Post
          "The Google" says 8-45 seconds
          Search engines give results only for the questions that are asked. Different questions give different search results. When searching specifically for results for normal healthy people, the answer that comes up is 6 seconds or less. Normal for MS might be 8-45 seconds, but the original question didn't specify MS. And we know MS isn't normal.

Comment

I don't care how long it takes me. As long as I get there

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
              I don't care how long it takes me. As long as I get there
              Unless it is a trip to the lavatory.

Setting off before you really need to go is apparently the wrong thing to do.

Whoever said that has obviously never peed their pants.

Comment

After searching google I found an article that say anywhere between 5-7.99 seconds. Now the article specified 7.99 seconds because of the study they were conducting. The study compared the time it took to walk 25' to employment, disability and a couple of other factors I cannot recall.

As I thought back on my last Neuro visit I recalled her telling my DW 6-8 seconds. I don't even want to say what my times were.
                Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
                Babe Ruth

Comment

"The 25' Walk"...A new charity race for MS?!

Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post
                  And we know MS isn't normal.
                  Amen!

I honestly thought this post was a spoof on the standardized 5k charity event! I think an MS Fundraiser based on us doing a "25' walk challenge" would certainly make a statement about the reality of living with this stinkin' disease!
                  Tawanda

Comment

The 25' timed walking test is a standardized test used for evaluating many conditions, not just MS.

The test consists of two 25' walking trials, with a rest period of up to five-minutes allowed between trials. Each trial must be completed within three minutes (180 seconds). The use of certain assistive devices is allowed.

The 25' timed walking test is the test used in the development of Ampyra, and is the test used to determine whether Ampyra is helpful enough to determine whether it should be prescribed. Ampyra is approved only for improvement in walking speed, and insurance companies can deny coverage of it for anyone who is unable to walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                      Amen!

I honestly thought this post was a spoof on the standardized 5k charity event! I think an MS Fundraiser based on us doing a "25' walk challenge" would certainly make a statement about the reality of living with this stinkin' disease!
                      What a great idea! Raise money and also show the world that many times MS does in fact have us.
                      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                      Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
                        Unless it is a trip to the lavatory.

Setting off before you really need to go is apparently the wrong thing to do.

Whoever said that has obviously never peed their pants.
                        You are sure right. I wish I could pee in my pants. I wish I could pee.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                          What a great idea! Raise money and also show the world that many times MS does in fact have us.
                          ...complete with an ambulance or two at the ready (just like any other respectable marathon has on the sidelines)!
                          Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                            ...complete with an ambulance or two at the ready (just like any other respectable marathon has on the sidelines)!
                            That is definitely a good idea. The way my mind works, always thinking of the worst, I imagine anyone who is struggling to transfer to their wheelchair will be compared by friends and family.

"See those people with MS who can walk 25' if they just put they mind to it. Why are you so lazy?"

Comment

"Standards"

The trouble with the 25'Walk is that "everybody" thinks they understand what it means.
                              By "everybody" I mean the people who pay the bills.
                              The same people who think they understand what the EDSS means.
                              Both are very poor measures of mobility

I had a physio assessment, one time, that had me get up from a chair, walk about 5 metres (16 feet) and go round a marker post, and return to the chair.
                              That is rather more practical. There was no restriction on which way I rounded the marker (i.e. L or R), but it was a lot more like real life. Of course I had to position the 3-wheel rollator so that I stood up straight into it, but I do that at home, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X