Steroids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steroids

Hi - can some people advise me about how steroids for relapses work? I am having a relapse and the MS nurse said it is probably because I have a cold - except now I am almost over the cold and I really don't think it is just a temporary return of symptoms. It has lasted 4 days now and it is identical to all the other relapses I have had. She said to wait it out for the weekend and then call her on Monday. She said steroids are sometimes a possibility.

It is my general inclination not to ask for these those. Doesn't the effectiveness decline over multiple usage? So if I was to use them now, they might not work as well in the future? I am still functioning normally - working etc. The left side of my body is numb - not completely, but enough to be annoying and I don't like the feeling of walking - every time I take a step on my left leg it feels funny. But I am still walking fine (I have a feeling I might be favoring that leg, but it isn't like an obvious limp) My whole left side is kind of sore, sort of like a bruise, but not that bad.

I am not sure how bad a relapse has to be for steroids to be considered. And would the side effects of the steroids be worse that my current symptoms?

Hello sarabeach123,

Almost being over the cold is not the same as not having any sign of the cold. I would assume that is the reason your MS nurse would like you to wait it out over the weekend, just to be sure it's not a pseudo-exacerbation.

Doesn't the effectiveness decline over multiple usage? So if I was to use them now, they might not work as well in the future?
    Yes. The more steroids are used the less affective they can become

An exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up) can resolve with or without steroids. Steroids might allow resolution to happen quicker but not necessarily. Sometimes the exacerbation needs to follow it's natural course regadless.

would the side effects of the steroids be worse that my current symptoms?
    That's a hard question to answer, it could go either way and everyone has different experiences with steroids. In the 31 years of MS and 6 exacerbations I have only used steroids twice. I don't like them and my exacerbation resolved in the same amount of time with and without steroids.

I hope you are feeling better soon
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
    X