Research Suggests MS Patients May be Harsher than Healthier People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Research Suggests MS Patients May be Harsher than Healthier People

Multiple sclerosis patients must not only address their unpleasant symptoms, they are also subject to unpredictable relapses, a condition that causes stress, say researchers. This condition has consequences for the 'moral cognition' of patients, who become particularly intransigent in moral judgments. This 'moral inflexibility' results from cognitive styles adopted to overcome the inconveniences of the disease.

Surprisingly, in MS patients, Patil and colleagues were expecting a greater tendency for forgiveness, because of difficulty with Theory of mind that has been described in some of these patients, as well as a decrease in empathic response. "The results, however, were surprising: subjects' answers were more severe than average in all conditions. They also proved overly confident about the validity of their own judgment, much more so than in healthy subjects, declaring they were sure that anyone would respond as they did."

Put simply, during the experiments, the MS patients tended to attribute their negative emotions to what they read in the dilemma. Whether the consequences were the result of an accident as in the manslaughter situation, or bad intentions as in the attempted murder, mattered little. "The patient believed that these situations led to the negative affect they felt and therefore judged the third-party actors more severely. This explains why we observed more harsh judgments even in neutral conditions where there was neither bad intent nor outcome," says Patil.

"Knowing that MS patients tend to adopt this cognitive strategy, along with their nearly constant state of emotional stress, is important," he concludes. "On one hand, it helps healthcare providers working with them to objectively read their behavior, and improve interpersonal relationships, which are vital in this type of care. On the other hand, knowing this 'dark' side can also help us develop cognitive/behavioral treatment for helping patients improve their emotional response."

Full article: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0428103019.htm

Confused (but not blaming anyone)

Hi Marco,
    I read the whole article because this study and its results did not make a bit of sense to me. Perhaps it's my cognitive deficiency. LOL My experience has been that through dealing with my MS I have become more sympathetic to anyone with any kind of weakness, misfortune, even bad judgment. MS seems so random - and the universe does too.

The article did not reveal much about who the research subjects were or about how manipulative the scenarios presented might have been. Not all "science" is science, in my opinion. Thanks for sharing it. Thinking about this question was an interesting process.

Stay lifted,
    Susan
    "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

Harsh (and bitter) member right here...

I am careful I don't act harsh around family and friends. I fear they would want to keep their distance if I acted as miserable as I felt and I couldn't blame them. Being around a crankpot gets old fast (but thank goodness I can vent here)! I think many sick people do the same thing, and for the same reason, but put us in anonymous situation where we can drop our masks, get your popcorn and watch it rip!

The results of this study do not surprise me in the least. What surprises me is why conduct such a silly study in the first place? That money would be better spent towards researching cures.

In any event, thanks again, Marco, for keeping us in the MS loop - the good, the bad and the ugly - it's all appreciated. You are probably not nearly as harsh as me or any of these other MS Meanies in this study !
      Tawanda

Comment

After reading the 2 responses I thought "Hmmm I suppose they do not know that THEIR situation is but anecdotal". THEN I wondered this: How was this Clinical Research set up? Could there have been any misinterpretation of the results?
        Peace to all,
        LM
        RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Comment

Maybe we just no longer have the patience and energy to be politically correct and put up with illogical reasoning....
            "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." ~James Elliot

Comment

well....

I am irritated by this study. I know I should read the study before making suppositions, but I really just want to concentrate on making my time and life as positive as possible. I wonder if the researchers would have found positive reactions if they had looked for them.

When teaching data collection and conclusions, I often refer to the esteemed study that PROVED people with big feet spell better.... well, when you look at the study protocol, they compared kindergarten students to 12th graders.

So beware of trusting a conclusion without looking at the study. I will work even harder to be positive now. Maybe that was the intent of the publication. Pfffftttttt
              You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

I definitely fit the pattern at times. Whether due to ms, bipolar, a certain wiring, choice - the knowledge is helpful bc you can take these issues if you have them to someone who can help you. I recently lost my father. I said things or he heard things about me that 'made the hair on the back of his neck stand straight up'. But in the end there was much forgiveness and I am as determined as ever to carry on the legacy to the extent I can. You will be greatly missed.

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to your Username on black bar running across top of page > My Settings > Edit Profile**

Comment

It's only one study, but here's my two cents.

Some Drs and neuros get frustrated with MS patients (especially we long-timers) because we don't immediately agree with their ideas about treatment.

If you have MS, you don't know what is going to happen to you next.

You might be fine tonight and wake up in a neurological mess in the morning.

In order to cope with all the uncertainty, not to mention the actual physical symptoms, you decide you're going to live and think a certain way.

You stick to that because what else can you do?

I don't think I've become "harsher", unless that means stubborn and more willing to stick up for myself.

Comment

Defining "Harsher"

Thank you, Thinkimjob, for your post on this thread. If "harsher" means willing to be authentic and having courage to be non-compliant with "help" that doesn't fit, count me in. As Janis Joplin sang, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."
                    Stay lifted,
                    Mermaid
                    "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

63 MS'ers read about the passing of my father and one responded. (Thank you) What do you call that? Regardless what you think of me what about a general respect for the passing of another human being? One who contributed to the lives of EVERYONE on this board. Shiver

Comment

I'm sorry!

Originally posted by sardi_g View Post
                        63 MS'ers read about the passing of my father and one responded. (Thank you) What do you call that? Regardless what you think of me what about a general respect for the passing of another human being? One who contributed to the lives of EVERYONE on this board. Shiver

I'm so sorry that no one replied. I am sending my deepest condolences on the loss of your father. I loss my father many years ago, and I miss him still.

Please keep in mind that sometimes people are coming here for answers to their own pain and I looking for something or someone that they can relate too and may not have even read the entire post. I dunno, but i'm sorry for your loss.

Comment

I must apologize, I remember reading your reply, and obviously I did not respond to it : there is absolutely nno excuse that I can think of to justify my actions. I am so very sorry about your loss.
                          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                          volunteer
                          MS World
                          hunterd@msworld.org
                          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post

"Knowing that MS patients tend to adopt this cognitive strategy, along with their nearly constant state of emotional stress, is important," he concludes. "On one hand, it helps healthcare providers working with them to , which are vital in this type of care. On the other hand, knowing this 'dark' side can also help us develop cognitive/behavioral treatment for helping patients improve their emotional response."

Full article: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0428103019.htm
                            Hey Marco,

Thanks for posting this.

I read the entire thing...and it's an interesting theory.

However, color me "jaded" because I found the conclusion quite laughable. As if a healthcare worker is going to "objectively read their (the MSer's) behavior, and improve interpersonal relationships" with their patients based on the knowledge the healthcare worker gained from this study.

Of course, maybe it's my MS that made me have this "harsher" attitude toward the conclusion of the study

Comment

I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. I hope your grief turns to happy memories as soon as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X