Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discouraged and deeply depressed. Denied LTD today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discouraged and deeply depressed. Denied LTD today.

I am 18 years with MS and had to stop working in January. I had a good run and now cannot work anymore due to my MS (+depression, anxiety & OCD). You would think that leaving my job and friends and having to move in with my parents would be hard enough...no I just got denied today for LTD by Cigna. Why do they have to kick me when I am already on the floor?! . I expected a first denial from SSD because they deny 70% and try to say you can do something else but Cigna says I can do my old job - which is impossible.

Anyone know if private companies like Cigna turn people down the first time to scare them away? Or maybe hope they don't have money to hire a lawyer? (I called one today).

I have 3 doctors backing me up. They gave no specific reasons for denying me...just said I could do sedentary work...I won't go into detail but my job involved more than just sitting. Idiots! Sorry just had to vent for a second. I am sooo frustrated. I stayed in bed for most of the day and don't want to go out at all...ever.

Any advice or prayers would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Oh and those parents I mentioned...it is tough loosing my independence but I have to say how very fortunate I am to have them. Gotta count my blessings...even though it is from under the covers.
    Florida ~ MS Diag. 1998 with optic neuritis.

So sorry. I went thru the same with Aetna. Hired a good ERISA lawyer since they specialize in employment law. I also hire a second attorney who only does SSDI.

Both attorney's won my cases for me.

If you don't have it already, get a copy of your employer's LTD policy. There are key legal definitions to understand. Most have an initial definition of disability specific to your job, then after 2 years, the definition changes again to any occupation or any reasonable occupation and have clauses on depression/anxiety. Likewise, most offset any SSDI award. So really important to understand. Your lawyer will need it anyway.

As for LTD denials, yes, insurers have a history of denials if they will be on hook for awhile. In terminal cases, not an issue. Or conditions that will resolve, such as recuperation from a surgery, etc. No issue. But unless a total disability that there is no argument (is, stroke, traumatic brain injury, etc...), any gray area the fight.

Talk to your attorney, discuss what you need to do and track to support your case. Review your medical records to make sure accurate and thorough.

Good luck.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you!!!

Thanks Pennstater! I really appreciate the info. I am going to get out of bed and call my old employer for the LTD policy copy. And I just checked and my SSD attorney is also an ERISA attorney.

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.
      Florida ~ MS Diag. 1998 with optic neuritis.

Comment

My LTD is thru MetLife and I was approved last year on the first claim filing.
        I'm looking at my policy and it includes a lot of information - including info for a denied claim an appeal process as well as legal action and ERISA appeals info.
        I recommend you keep pushing to get a copy for your carrier and review it if you haven't received it yet.
        Best wishes to you as you work thru this.

Comment

Working...
        X