Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tecfidera Television Commercial will soon END!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tecfidera Television Commercial will soon END!

The Tecfidera, medication for multiple sclerosis, commercial will soon be permanently off the air. The commercial received quite a bit of negative attention from MS patients. I know a lot of people believe the commercials were misleading.

I don't blame Biogen for showing the best-case scenario considering that's what all commercials do. Every wireless carrier, vehicle, toothbrush and toilet paper is the best and makes life easier/better. There are people that have zero side effects on Tecfidera and have little to no MS-related disabilities.

The problem with the Tecfidera commercials is it reinforced a stereotype that ALL MS patients could be doing wonderful if they would take the medication. That causes people in our lives to try and "help us" by suggesting Tecfidera, diet X, supplement Y or procedure Z.

I personally used the commercial as a starting point when people would ask me about it. It gave me an opportunity to raise MS awareness and hopefully reduce some of our stereotypes.

I took Tecfidera for over 2 years and would still be on the medication if not for unwanted side effects.I am still a believer in Tecfidera and believe it is serving many patients extremely well. That said, all MS medications perform relatively poorly, especially when you consider the exorbitant costs.

Hang in there ... we're another day closer to a real cure.

Agree. It was good in that it helped raise awareness for MS, but the portrayal of the perfect life was tough on all MS patients.

I had people tell me I should be on it. As you said, educational opportunity, letting know I am on something even more effective (Tysabri). They get the point t.

Commercials are meant to sell to patients and families, but also to the general public as an investment. So I also get the rose colored glasses, but I for one, won't miss seeing it!
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi Marco

I am glad they are taking the commercial off the air. I felt is was misleading. You take the medication and you are almost back to your old self

I am sure it helps a lot of people

Shoo
      Shoo

Comment

I am on tec. and was waiting for someone to tell me I need to be on it so I could tell them I have been on it for 2+ years so don't believe everything you hear. It was very misleading.

Glad it's gone.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

Can't be soon enough for me, Marco!

That commercial gets on my last nerve (literally!)! I especially enjoy the barely-there, fine-print at the bottom (in seemingly all these types of commercials) that says, "actor portrayal". YA THINK???!!!!!!

To borrow from another poster, this disease is not "fairies and unicorns" whether you are taking Tecfidera or anything else. MS still sucks, and shame on those who undo our efforts in bringing that fact to the public's attention! How could anyone unfamiliar with MS possibly know the urgency in curing a disease that appears to be as lightweight as this commercial portrays it? It looks like a no-brainer...pop a pill and BAM! You're even better than before you had MS! Heck, why wouldn't everyone with or without MS want to take a drug that makes you feel this happy, energized and vital?!

Of course, I get it (I even majored in "Marketing" about 100 years ago). It's just another commercial, promoting another product, but this time...it was 100% personal!
          Tawanda

Comment

TV commercial for tecfidera

I personally was happy to see the commercial. All the commercials for RA, Psoriasis, Blood thinners etc. put a positive spin on the medication. We have to be grateful that there are many medications for RRMS to chose from.

Today when we go to events for MS we see fewer people with walkers and wheel chairs than we did 10 years ago. The medications are helping us live our lives. What we really need is some development in treatment for SPMS and PPMS.

I would like to see the commercial stay. It's a way to be more positive and hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by rsinger View Post
              I personally was happy to see the commercial. All the commercials for RA, Psoriasis, Blood thinners etc. put a positive spin on the medication. We have to be grateful that there are many medications for RRMS to chose from.

Today when we go to events for MS we see fewer people with walkers and wheel chairs than we did 10 years ago. The medications are helping us live our lives. What we really need is some development in treatment for SPMS and PPMS.

I would like to see the commercial stay. It's a way to be more positive and hopeful.
              I do not know what "events" you are speaking of, but the only MS events I attend are my neurologist appointments. Sadly, everyone looks pretty darn progressive. They are mostly in W/Cs and have assistants with them.
              Tawanda

Comment

TV commercial for tecfidera

Hi Tawanda,

I attend many dinner events given by neurologists not sponsored by drug companies.
                At these events and also at my neurologist appointment I see many people who are benefiting from the wonderful advancements made in the research for medications to treat MS. Unfortunately there are many patients who have SPMS and PPMS who there is no real good treatment at this time. Just think of the millions of people who have muscular dystrophy for which there is no treatment.

I agree that the TV commercial is somewhat sugar coated but so are all the commercials for many of the other medications. It still raises awareness and hope for everyone.

Comment

Good riddance! My family always knows when this commercial is on even if they are not in the room as I yell and cuss loudly.

As Tawanda said, it makes the disease appear "lightweight" and gives the impression that popping that pill will allow you to go full steam all day and live the life that most of us only imagine.

Yes, I agree Marco, it is a good talking point IF someones asks about it but otherwise it leaves people who have no real knowledge of the disease the impression that there is a pill to pop that takes it all away.
                  Meet me in a land of hope and dreams. -Bruce Springsteen

Comment

I'm glad it's going away. It gets on my nerves, what's left of them. I too took Tecfidera but had a relapse with increase lesion load so had to stop it. I liked it and had no side effects.

The first time I saw it I started hollering at the TV. My DW thought I had lost my mind. But she knew why. I understand what they were trying to say but it didn't really show the true effects of MS.
                    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
                    Babe Ruth

Comment

Marco that commercial is still on my tv The tv station probably didn't get the memo to take the commercial off

Shoo
                      Shoo

Comment

Hey Marco

Still running in Michigan (Midwestern) 3-4 times a day.
                        I think it really does give a bad impression regarding those with RRMS being able to do multiple
                        activities one after the other without needing to rest. RIDICULOUS!

A' friend' recently saw it and told another that she thought I was being a 'drama queen' about my MS and that I just didn't want to be involved in their 'event's

Needless to say the judgmental 'friend' is no longer in my circle.
                        ~life has ups and downs...I try to go in circles~
                        dx'd rrms in '97

Comment

I too think the commercial's very misleading and a slap in the face to those of us who aren't doing so great. It's still playing in my market too...the desert southwest. I'll be glad when it's gone.

Comment

I saw the commercial again Sunday evening. I told my DW how much I hated the commercial and couldn't wait for them to get it off the air.

She said gosh baby. I told her they paint the wrong picture of what MS is really about. It seems like you take this magic pill and you will be great. WRONG!! I took the magic pill and look at me I'm in a wheelchair.
                            Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
                            Babe Ruth

Comment

Being off the air "soon" is such a relative term. I'm still seeing it and as recent as last night here in the LA market.

I really don't care either way since it's a conversation starter when it comes up. The only one that really pushes me is my 90 year old mother but I can live with that!

Comment

Working...
                              X