MRI: How often for PwMS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRI: How often for PwMS?

How often do you get an MRI? Are there recommendations for PwMS? How often do you see a neurologist? Are there recommendations for doctor's visits?

I'm curious as to what other folks here are doing to monitor their MS.

Thanks, in advance, for sharing!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

I get an MRI every year at about the same time. I am also primary progressive MS. What is PwMS?
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I'm assuming you mean one of the progressive types which I am.
      I see my neuro about every 3 months.
      I get an MRI when my neuro recommends it since there are times when there is nothing gained by getting one based on my disability path and the insurance cost is high based on where I'm at (deductible/out-of-pocket) - but I do get one when he is recommending a change to my medication.
      If you didn't mean progressive then never mind.

Comment

I believe PwMS stands for "People with MS."

I have an annual MRI and my visits are scheduled every 4 months. There are no set standards.

From the National Multiple Sclerosis Society~

Tracking disease progress

Once a diagnosis of MS has been clearly established, there is no reason why an MS patient should have further diagnostic MRI scans. Subsequent scans, however, are useful in tracking the progress of the disease and making treatment decisions. For example, a neurologist may consider disease activity on MRI as well as a person's clinical symptoms and relapses in order to determine whether the current treatment is effective or a change in treatment needs to be considered.

Healthcare professionals differ in their opinion about how often an MRI should be done for MS, but most now recommend it on a annual basis. When possible, follow-up MRIs should be obtained on the same scanner as this will help the radiologist and your healthcare provider make a comparison from one MRI to the next.

Your neurologist is the point person for monitoring your treatment and managing MS symptoms. The timing of your visits depends largely on both the progress of your multiple sclerosis and your MS treatment regimen. For example, if you are taking disease-modifying drugs for MS, your neurologist will want to monitor you for any side effects, so you may be seen more often.

“Patients with MS are seen every few months, depending on how they are doing, to discuss any new MS symptoms, side effects of medications, and to do a comprehensive neurological exam to ensure stability,” Dr. Zhovtis Ryerson says.

Visits also depend on whether you have very limited symptoms or a more aggressive MS that requires treatment, says Nancy L. Sicotte, MD, the director of the Multiple Sclerosis Program at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. “If symptoms worsen or new symptoms appear, it is important to see your neurologist to confirm if this is really a flare.” http://www.everydayhealth.com/hs/ms-...a-neurologist/
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
        X