Tysabri in SPMS Patients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tysabri in SPMS Patients

Natalizumab (Tysabri) didn't slow disability progression in patients with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis (SPMS), researchers reported here.

The ASCEND trial missed its primary endpoint of reducing progression as measured by a composite endpoint assessing disability unrelated to relapses, Deborah Steiner, MD, of Biogen, reported during the emerging science session at the American Academy of Neurology meeting here.

But Steiner noted that there was a significant benefit on upper extremity function.
    "There's a striking contrast between the lack of effect on ambulatory function as measured by the timed 25-foot walk test, and the effects on upper extremity function as measured by the 9-hole peg test," she said.

There are currently no approved therapies for primary progressive or secondary progressive MS -- although data reported here on ocrelizumab, an investigational B-cell targeting therapy by Roche/Genentech, suggested the drug has some efficacy in primary progressive disease.

A total of 887 patients randomized to placebo or 300 mg natalizumab infusion every 4 weeks for 96 weeks. Most of the patients had advanced disability at baseline, with 63% having an EDSS score in the range of 6.0 to 6.5, and scores on the 9HPT suggested more lower-limb impairment than upper-limb.

Overall, the trial did not meet its primary endpoint, although a slightly smaller proportion of patients on natalizumab were progressors than those on placebo (44% versus 48%), she reported.
    The drug did, however, show a statistically significant treatment effect on reducing upper-limb disability progression unrelated to relapse as measured by the 9HPT, with fewer progressors (15% versus 23%, OR 0.56, P=0.0012).

Natalizumab was generally well tolerated, she added, with adverse events that were consistent with its known safety profile.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AAN/57482

Thanks for sharing, Marco! It's why I've chosen to continue with the drug (at least for now).
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I have SPMS and my neurologist has me on tysabri "(6 infusions so far) only disease modifying drug I've been on", and last MRI showed a slight reduction in lesion size which is great news Craig

Comment

Dastardly,
        I was diagnosed at 58 1/2, and my neurologist wanted me on Ty because she knew I would make the transition to SPMS sooner rather than later. I did by the 3rd year post diagnosis. However, my MRI's are unchanged since my first one, and my brain volume is "normal" for someone my age without MS(now 64+). That is enough for me to continue my infusions (76 this coming Friday).

Comment

It is no news to most of you on this site that I think Natalizumab is the greatest.

My experience with it has been consistent with this research. Most of the upper body hasn't changed but have a gradual loss of lower body movement. I am SPMS.

For now I stay on it. If Ocrelizumab could prevent more loss of mobility I will seriously consider it. If I could take both I would do it if would make me better.

Comment

Working...
          X