Total Neurologist Stress Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total Neurologist Stress Today

First of all my appointment was supposed to be at 11:40 this morning. I have a 43 minute drive to get to the city. So, I was on time. Got there and found out the whole neurology department had been moved to a different building, across the street. So... got there. Anxiety building.

It was over an hour later than they put me in an exam room. The nurse did her thing and mentioned that the doctor was behind and had 2 people ahead of me. Ok. I had not eaten before going because I'm usually in and out quickly. Did not anticipate an additional 2 hour wait. I was so tempted to walk away. Don't like this doctor anyway.

She finally came in and launched into a discussion about anxiety and insomnia. She NEVER did any neurological testing or offered a new MRI or any other tests. She just assumed we needed to talk about a therapist and buying a book about anxiety and several little anecdotes she picked up along the way.

Half way thru I zoned out and almost fell asleep. She keeps telling me my MS has "burned itself out". I have been at this since 2001 when one of her colleagues diagnosed me with a doubt.

Maybe it's because I'm not falling down or paralyzed. She just said we never decided you really do have MS after all. What about all the other doctors I've seen who had NO doubts?

She refilled some scripts for me, gave me a handout concerning anxiety, told me to get a book and to look for a therapist. This was not only the most stressful, long appointment I ever had, it was also the most useless.

Has anyone else "burned out"? I know there are a lot of horror stories about doctors on this board. If I wasn't stressed when I got there I sure was by the time ( over 3 hours later ) I left.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Originally posted by marti View Post
    First of all my appointment was supposed to be at 11:40 this morning. I have a 43 minute drive to get to the city. So, I was on time. Got there and found out the whole neurology department had been moved to a different building, across the street. So... got there. Anxiety building.

It was over an hour later than they put me in an exam room. The nurse did her thing and mentioned that the doctor was behind and had 2 people ahead of me. Ok. I had not eaten before going because I'm usually in and out quickly. Did not anticipate an additional 2 hour wait. I was so tempted to walk away. Don't like this doctor anyway.

She finally came in and launched into a discussion about anxiety and insomnia. She NEVER did any neurological testing or offered a new MRI or any other tests. She just assumed we needed to talk about a therapist and buying a book about anxiety and several little anecdotes she picked up along the way.

Half way thru I zoned out and almost fell asleep. She keeps telling me my MS has "burned itself out". I have been at this since 2001 when one of her colleagues diagnosed me with a doubt.

Maybe it's because I'm not falling down or paralyzed. She just said we never decided you really do have MS after all. What about all the other doctors I've seen who had NO doubts?

She refilled some scripts for me, gave me a handout concerning anxiety, told me to get a book and to look for a therapist. This was not only the most stressful, long appointment I ever had, it was also the most useless.

Has anyone else "burned out"? I know there are a lot of horror stories about doctors on this board. If I wasn't stressed when I got there I sure was by the time ( over 3 hours later ) I left.

In reading this back I see a couple of mistakes I made. It is about 40 minutes to the city. "Anxiety building" means that my anxiety was building as the minutes ticked by. And my diagnosis in 2001 was made WITHOUT a doubt. sorry.
    Marti

Comment

A couple of corrections to my post.

We live about 40 minutes from the city.

When I said "Anxiety building" I meant my anxiety was building up while I waited.

And when I said "I have been at this since 2001 when one of her colleagues diagnosed me with a doubt. " Should have read.... without a doubt.

Sorry for the typos.
      Marti

Comment

I am in an extension of an extended study for Gilyena and as such my neurologist is really only looking for effects from Gilyena. When I report a new problem if it is not directly related to Gilyena she just doesn't care. Half the time they are not noted down on my chart at all (I found that out a month ago at a disability hearing). If something is really bad she might ask if I need steroids but that is all the treatment I get.

I finally got insurance and appointment to see a new neurologist that is in no way related to the study so hopefully I can get some real information for the first time in 3 years. I agreed to be part of the extension of the extended study to get the medication for free and get semi-annual MRI's. They changed to protocol now though and so I'm not getting the MRI's even. Just semi-annual visits with the neurologist (useless) and the drug for free (yay!).

So I can relate to the uselessness. It is frustrating to drive all that way and have nothing get accomplished.
        Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Working...
        X