FIRST DAY BACK TO WORK AND BLAH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIRST DAY BACK TO WORK AND BLAH!

Well, today is my first day back at work after a week off. My DW and I took a staycation and hung out around the house. We got a lot of things done and spent some good time together just chilling out and talking.

I told her I was wanting to do something other what I'm doing. I have been in the car business for 27 years. I've been in management for 21 years but for the last 6 years I've been back in sales. It's a fun business but I'm just burnt out. Problem is I don't know what else I would do.

I'm in a wheelchair, will be 60 in 2 months so I know my options are limited. I would love to be able to work from home. Does anybody here work from home? I've looked online but you never know what companies are reliable. Anyway, if anybody does work for one the work at home companies or know of some reliable ones would you be so kind to share some of your knowledge with a burnt out ole car man? I guess I could write a blog and let E shone in on all the secrets of the car business that the books and websites don't tell you.

Anyway, if anybody knows of any work at home companies I would appreciate some input.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

If you are experienced in F&I, could you work for a lender directly? Maybe from your home even? In this day and age of internet, it wouldn't be difficult to do from your home. Or could you do internet sales, setting up a dealers inventory online on their website? After working in car sales for as long as you have, I'm sure you have several contacts. Perhaps you could do F&I for some of the smaller dealers that don't have the resources as the larger ones.

Not sure how you're dealership operates as far as getting inventory, but most buy from auctions. Could you be their online buyer?

Maybe you could curb cars. Again, with all the people you know in the industry you could probably buy wholesale cars from dealers. Maybe get a partner for this to evaluate vehicles for you.

As I'm sure you are aware, many lenders only do business with franchised dealers. Could you work with the small independent dealers and collaborate with larger franchised dealers getting loans for people?

Special finance is a good niche market. But there is plenty to made there. Maybe find some way to help people with less than stellar credit obtain financing. Or be an advocate for them for a small fee. What people don't understand is that for a few hundred dollars, you could save them thousands. I used to be in the car business and considered doing this myself. You get with a few reliable dealers that are willing to work with special finance and arrange to bring them your customers. You get your client a good deal and the dealer gets a customer they wouldn't have had otherwise. It's a win-win. Just have to educate your buyers that you're saving them money. Hopefully referrals will start rolling in.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

Comment

OK Kid

If you hadn't of said it I was going to say you must have been in the business. You sounded quite educated about it.

You gave me some good ideas and some things to think about. I did spend some time in, "The Box", as it's affectionately called. Way too many years for me.

Thanks for the ideas. At least I have something to think about.
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

Babe Ruth

Comment

OK Kid had some good suggestions. I don't know anything about the auto market, but as one who recently shopped for a car, I know there's a lot going on with internet marketing. I'm pretty sure you can buy a car over the internet, never having seen it, and have all the financing done that way too.

I've worked from home for the past 12 years. I work for an online retailer. I don't work in sales, but I'm on the other side of the sale, making sure everything about the buyer, their credit card, their bill to and ship to address is legit. With stolen cc information so easy to obtain, there are a lot of folks trying to rip off internet dealers by using the stolen info. My job is to try to keep that from happening.

So I get on my laptop every morning and spend most of my time there. It's flexible enough that I can slip out for dr. apps. or PT sessions, I just have to let someone know.

I could not have worked this long if I had had to go into the office. From time to time I have had to go in for training on a new piece of software, etc. and it is disorienting for me with all the action
        going on around me, and the phones ringing and everyone talking at once. I might have been able to go in, but I certainly wouldn't get any work done.

All that to say, you know cars...there has to be jobs on these websites of dealers, wholesalers,
        auction houses, etc that use folks who work remotely.

Comment

Here's the thing. I know a whole lot more than just cars. I have done a lot of things in my life. I have a lot of experience in a wide variety of things. While I have spent a lot of time in the car business I was also the manager of the credit card department for a major local bank. Just suffice it to say I've done a lot things in my life.

Babe Ruth

Comment

Working...
          X