Switching from tecfidera to tysabri?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching from tecfidera to tysabri?

Has anyone switched from tec to tysabri? I am doing alright on my tec (have to take 40mg omeprazole and a pobiotic to help with the stomach pain). I have terrible brain fog on a constant basis (not caused by the tec), I'm only 27 and just started college courses and its holding me back big time. I am jc negative and my doc thinks this will improve my cognitive function so I'm wondering what kind of side effects I might expect to have? Has anyone actually switched from tec to tysabri? If so what was your expierence? I have 2 little ones that rely on me so I can't do something that's gonna put me down for a week at a time like plegridy did for me

I haven't switched from Tec to Tysabri, but I had my 75th infusion of Tysabri last month, and I am thrilled with my response to this drug. If you are JC-, then as far as I'm concerned, you have hit the jackpot! If I were your age and knew what I have learned about this drug in the past 6 years, I would run, not walk to my 1st infusion!

You are young enough that Tysabri will give you the potential to see at least a stabilization of your MS, and potentially a reversal of some of your current disability. You still have brain reserves that give your body the ability to heal and do "work arounds", i.e. make new nerve connections. At 58 1/2 at diagnosis, all I could hope for was stabilization, and that I have received. Tysabri preserves your brain volume, and this is a key factor of long term disability.

From the posts I've read, the vast majority who take Tysabri have little to no reaction to the drug. As I've said before, day 1 is just like day 28. 2-3 hours once a month for 28 days of stability is SO worth it. I encourage you to read some of the posts by Myoak and lindaofcolorado. Myoak's wife has been on Tysabri since 2002, and along with Linda, both are JC+. However, they so believe in the power of this drug, they are willing to take the risk of PML. Your risk is 1/10,000.

I hope others respond to your post, but I sincerely hope you consider Tysabri. It is SO worth it!

Comment

Thanks for the reply ru4cats! I will be getting my first infusion soon. I'm really hoping I get the benefit others have I do already have gait issues and foot drop, as well as bladder problems and left side weakness on top of the cognitive problems. It would be amazing if I could have improvement in any of these symptoms. I don't even remember what it's like to feel normal.

Comment

Good luck! I do so hope it works for you. It takes six months for your body to reach "saturation" level for this drug, so don't expect too much until at least then.

At your age, I'd look to a stem cell transplant once the final results are known. That looks like it has the highest potential for long term reversal of current disabilities. The Tisch clinic has some amazing results, but Tysabri should keep you stable until such time as this technique is more widely available.

Comment

Working...
        X