WHEELCHAIR ASSISTANCE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHEELCHAIR ASSISTANCE

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice here. I have PPMS and am pretty much paralyzed on the right side. I am still able to comfortably drive with my left foot and work 40 hours a week. I am just exhausted, but fighting.

I have no problem getting to my work building, but require wheelchair assistance up to my office and down in the afternoons. It's a very simple task, as it's just a 4-story building with an elevator right next to the doors that exit the building, which my car is right outside of.

I am having a hard time with people assisting me in the afternoons when it's time for me to leave. I always try to switch up people helping me, but lately, it's getting tough. My boss never wants to help and told me it could become a problem having people help me down. I give it my all and my best to get to work every day and work 8 hrs a day, all while trying to deal with PPMS.

I have done research on the ADA sites, but can't find anything specific to my situation, however, I did see that an employer may be obligated to provide a wheelchair or scooter for a disabled person to get their job done. I understand taking employees away from their job to help me may be the issue, but it's a 5 min ordeal and the only way for me to get in the office. Any advice? At one point, even the CEO said I could not receive help from anyone. I just think it's a little off that my boss won't even help.

Hi Dreams, I'm no expert in ADA legal requirements, so not much help there. I do suggest contacting your local chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society for advice about your employer's legal requirements to accommodate your need for assistance exiting your workplace. (exiting the door way? getting down a platform at the exit door?)

The NMSS also assists with miscellaneous MS expenses, for example car hand control devices and room a/c for the home.

BTW, I commend you for continuing to work despite the daily challenges you face. It can't be easy, but I hope you enjoy a more fulfilling and productive life despite the daily struggles.

Best wishes and take care

Comment

Originally posted by Dreams008 View Post
      I'm hoping someone can give me some advice here. I have PPMS and am pretty much paralyzed on the right side. I am still able to comfortably drive with my left foot and work 40 hours a week. I am just exhausted, but fighting.

I have no problem getting to my work building, but require wheelchair assistance up to my office and down in the afternoons. It's a very simple task, as it's just a 4-story building with an elevator right next to the doors that exit the building, which my car is right outside of.

I am having a hard time with people assisting me in the afternoons when it's time for me to leave. I always try to switch up people helping me, but lately, it's getting tough. My boss never wants to help and told me it could become a problem having people help me down. I give it my all and my best to get to work every day and work 8 hrs a day, all while trying to deal with PPMS.

I have done research on the ADA sites, but can't find anything specific to my situation, however, I did see that an employer may be obligated to provide a wheelchair or scooter for a disabled person to get their job done. I understand taking employees away from their job to help me may be the issue, but it's a 5 min ordeal and the only way for me to get in the office. Any advice? At one point, even the CEO said I could not receive help from anyone. I just think it's a little off that my boss won't even help.
      I am mystified by your post, because you do not include information that could help me visualize conditions specific to your situation. That is the problem with trying to legislate and administer the ADA: you can't possibly cover every eventuality with a bill.

Your post leaves me to conclude that you do not have a wheelchair of your own, because you were wondering if the ADA requires your employer to provide one. Is that a correct assumption? I have never seen any language in the ADA from my research that imposes such a requirement.

In your mind, what is included in the definition of wheelchair assistance? Do you need physical help to seat yourself into and out of the chair? Is it too difficult to get from the wheelchair into your car? How do you manage that task now, if you do not have your own wheelchair? Along the same lines, how would your employer providing you with a wheelchair help you beyond what you are able to manage now?

I understand the desire to protect one's privacy by not including exact locations in one's profile, but it could be helpful to inform what your state is. ADA interpretation and administration is sometimes a function of the state (albeit federally required) and so it would be useful to know what agency or entity would be designed with you in mind. I have received services from my state's Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation. Like most bureaucracies, they have renamed themselves to perform the same function. It can get confusing, but ultimately, they are the agency tasked with helping disabled individuals obtain and/or retain meaningful employment.

The first thing you need to do is find that agency. Get a better understanding of what your "rights" under the ADA are. It's nebulous and open to interpretation, and my state in particular tries to foster a less adversarial approach by working with employers and "the help" to facilitate good communication. From your post, it sounds like you have tried to communicate with your employer already, but it sounds as if your needs are considered an undue hardship on the business. If that is the case, your state agency would try to break down the specific steps necessary to get you into the office and what resources are available to make that happen. Your state agency may have a budget to cover the cost of adaptive software, computer equipment etc, for clients, but a wheelchair is usually considered medical equipment, in which case you would be advised to work with your health insurance company/provider.

Any good accountant knows the way to get services covered if you want them; it's just a matter of finding the right wording sometimes. That holds true for interpersonal communications as well. There may be a perception on the part of your employer that you create a possible risk of liability if they or anyone they employ should have an part of you falling during a transfer from your wheelchair to your car or desk chair, particularly if they are not trained medical staff. You do not go into much detail in your post, but it is an understandable concern. If your employer perceives you to be too "high-maintenance" it may cause them to consider replacing you. I would advise you to be aware of that mentality and take steps to document any and every interaction with your employer should that mentality lead them to make you that most charming British term for being unemployed: "redundant."

Additionally, I would advise you to stop and consider your boss's take on this. You said he won't even help. To an outsider like me, it is irrelevant if he helps you or not. To you, it is imperative that he do so. To him, it is maybe one part of a large to-do list and a bit much to keep up with in addition to all the other details of his job. He is perhaps not seeing things from your perspective, and that is where communication initiated by someone that analyzes the mechanics and time required for your needs to be met could help illustrate how much energy and cost is required for "reasonable accommodations." As you are probably already aware, the ADA encourages employers to provide reasonable accommodations provided they do not create undue hardship on the employer. And that is the crux of the matter right there: Subjective requirements need to be finessed to get what you want. You want someone who is used to explaining the language of the ADA to people to interface with your employer. You obviously do not need to worry about your privacy in this instance because your employer already is aware of your disability. There is no downside to getting a state ADA rep in there to negotiate for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldfinch View Post
        I am mystified by your post, because you do not include information that could help me visualize conditions specific to your situation. That is the problem with trying to legislate and administer the ADA: you can't possibly cover every eventuality with a bill.

Your post leaves me to conclude that you do not have a wheelchair of your own, because you were wondering if the ADA requires your employer to provide one. Is that a correct assumption? I have never seen any language in the ADA from my research that imposes such a requirement.

In your mind, what is included in the definition of wheelchair assistance? Do you need physical help to seat yourself into and out of the chair? Is it too difficult to get from the wheelchair into your car? How do you manage that task now, if you do not have your own wheelchair? Along the same lines, how would your employer providing you with a wheelchair help you beyond what you are able to manage now?

I understand the desire to protect one's privacy by not including exact locations in one's profile, but it could be helpful to inform what your state is. ADA interpretation and administration is sometimes a function of the state (albeit federally required) and so it would be useful to know what agency or entity would be designed with you in mind. I have received services from my state's Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation. Like most bureaucracies, they have renamed themselves to perform the same function. It can get confusing, but ultimately, they are the agency tasked with helping disabled individuals obtain and/or retain meaningful employment.

The first thing you need to do is find that agency. Get a better understanding of what your "rights" under the ADA are. It's nebulous and open to interpretation, and my state in particular tries to foster a less adversarial approach by working with employers and "the help" to facilitate good communication. From your post, it sounds like you have tried to communicate with your employer already, but it sounds as if your needs are considered an undue hardship on the business. If that is the case, your state agency would try to break down the specific steps necessary to get you into the office and what resources are available to make that happen. Your state agency may have a budget to cover the cost of adaptive software, computer equipment etc, for clients, but a wheelchair is usually considered medical equipment, in which case you would be advised to work with your health insurance company/provider.

Any good accountant knows the way to get services covered if you want them; it's just a matter of finding the right wording sometimes. That holds true for interpersonal communications as well. There may be a perception on the part of your employer that you create a possible risk of liability if they or anyone they employ should have an part of you falling during a transfer from your wheelchair to your car or desk chair, particularly if they are not trained medical staff. You do not go into much detail in your post, but it is an understandable concern. If your employer perceives you to be too "high-maintenance" it may cause them to consider replacing you. I would advise you to be aware of that mentality and take steps to document any and every interaction with your employer should that mentality lead them to make you that most charming British term for being unemployed: "redundant."

Additionally, I would advise you to stop and consider your boss's take on this. You said he won't even help. To an outsider like me, it is irrelevant if he helps you or not. To you, it is imperative that he do so. To him, it is maybe one part of a large to-do list and a bit much to keep up with in addition to all the other details of his job. He is perhaps not seeing things from your perspective, and that is where communication initiated by someone that analyzes the mechanics and time required for your needs to be met could help illustrate how much energy and cost is required for "reasonable accommodations."

As you are probably already aware, the ADA encourages employers to provide reasonable accommodations provided they do not create undue hardship on the employer. And that is the crux of the matter right there: Subjective requirements need to be finessed to get what you want. You want someone who is used to explaining the language of the ADA to people to interface with your employer. You obviously do not need to worry about your privacy in this instance because your employer already is aware of your disability. There is no downside to getting a state ADA rep in there to negotiate for you.
        Hello,

A place to look for ideas on accomodations is a website called Ask Jan at askjan.org. It's a great site that provides information for both employees and employers on accomodations.

I too am a bit confused as to whether the wheelchair is yours. I also agree that the company should provide a reasonable accomodation as long as the accomodation is not a hardship on the company.

I hope you and your company can come together on this and find an accomodation that works for both of you.

Comment

Working...
        X