• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnesium

I saw that a lot of people are taking magnesium

How much do you take a day and what strength is it

Can I take it with my Baclofen

Snoopy said to make sure its not magnesium oxide and that is what hubby bought a couple months ago and I'm bot taking that

Thank you for any responses

Shoo
    Shoo

I take 500 mg per day, in 3 gel caps. It's a NOW brand and also has calcium, zinc and Vitamin D3 in it.

Mine is a combination of magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate. I hadn't heard not to take magnesium citrate. Why not?

I take it, in combination with Uva Ursi, to help control nighttime urinary fx. Why do others take it?

Your pharmacist is often a good person to ask about drug interactions; they seem to know more than physicians about that.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      I take 500 mg per day, in 3 gel caps. It's a NOW brand and also has calcium, zinc and Vatamin D3 in it.

Mine is a combination of magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate. I hadn't heard not to take magnesium citrate. Why not?

I take it, in combination with Uva Ursi, to help control nighttime urinary fx. Why do others take it?

Mama I was curious... have you been tested for a deficiency in magnesium? Are most people tested for this?
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Hi Mamabug

Some people are taking it for leg spasms, which I have really bad

The magnesium/oxide gives you the poopies.

My hubby been researching it for me and I don't remember the brand name but your supposed to take 1000 mgs a day to help with the spasms

Shoo
        Shoo

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
          Mama I was curious... have you been tested for a deficiency in magnesium? Are most people tested for this?
          Marti -- No; I haven't been tested. As I said, I take it for urinary fx problems. I don't know if i was deficient or not.
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoo View Post
            Hi Mamabug

Some people are taking it for leg spasms, which I have really bad

The magnesium/oxide gives you the poopies.

My hubby been researching it for me and I don't remember the brand name but your supposed to take 1000 mgs a day to help with the spasms

Shoo
            OK; I don't have problems with "the poopies". I used to, but I discovered that it was gluten sensitivities that was causing that, so I eat less gluten now, especially if it's combined with yeast (because that bothers me more) and I take a gluten enzyme before a meal if I'm going to consume more gluten.

What I take is a "serving size" on my product, and it seems to work for me and what I need it for. Maybe you require more for leg spasms?

Many health professionals recommend taking calcium and magnesium together to keep them in balance in the body.
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Mamabug

I asked hubby and its called magnesium glyceraphosphate and you take 1000 mgs Hubby going to ask the pharmsist (spelling) where we can get it.

I been taking Caltrate 600mgs plusD for yrs for the bones

Thank you for the help now I have go searching for the magnesium g see if I can find it on the internet

Shoo
              Shoo

Comment

Magnesium oxide is reported to be the most poorly absorbed form of magnesium. Also, more than one 250 mg tablet at a time gives me a really acid-y stomach and reflux. I switched to magnesium glycinate. 800 mg at night (for leg spasms) and no problemo!

Comment

I have just been put on Magnesium for a heart condition. There are many "flavors" of magnesium and each is used for different reasons.

I am on Magnesium Oxide and although it is more poorly absorbed than the others with my medical conditions it was the most appropriate option.

Magnesium Citrate is usually the culprit that causes Diarrhea.

As with any medication or supplement I think it is important to consult your doctor first before you start taking anything.
                  Katie
                  "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                  "My MS is a Journey for One."
                  Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

One more thing. Talk to your doctor about dividing up your dosage of Magnesium throughout the day. This helps the potential diarrhea side effect with any of the types of Magnesium.
                    Katie
                    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                    "My MS is a Journey for One."
                    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                    X