Frustrated, depressed, just tired - need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated, depressed, just tired - need help

Sorry for the rant. It's been hectic since late fall and thru mid-March. My SSDI and 2year LTD review resolved favorably. And beautiful weather now. Why am I not enjoying it?

I wound up with a bad respiratory infection mid-March and have been on Prednisone and inhalers. I am so frustrated as it has helped very little. I see my PCP tomorrow to see what next.

I was just starting to figure out my new life, who I am without working and starting to get a little productive at home. Then wham....

I am so frustrated as it seems like a pattern for me. I start to do pretty well and then get a respiratory infection. I know I am feeling sorry for myself, and want to kick my own butt, but the Prednisone has me too anxious to even do that.

Sorry for ranting. Just needed to get it off my chest.

Does anyone else sometimes feel like you have little opportunity to feel somewhat productive before sickness and/or symptoms present themselves? What do you do to pick yourself up?

I usually can pick myself up, but all my tricks aren't working. Deep breathing or stretching, forget, I hack away. Likewise,talking to family/Friends. Listening to birds other nature,I am too jumpy and their normally beautiful songs are making me cry. Likewise, looking in my gratitude journal brings tears. TV, music want to make me jump out of my skin. My left hand is shaking too much too color, craft, write. I can't stay focused to read.

I am about ready to take the ativan round the clock and sleep away the days. Any help? Appreciate it.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

(hugs)

I am so sorry that you are having such a difficult time. I just prayed for you. Seems like you are having a reaction to the prednisone in addition to not getting enough relief from your respiratory symptoms. Can you contact your doctor, so that they can give you something to counteract your anxiety. I wish there was something more that I can do. I will keep you in prayer.

Comment

I'm sorry about what's going on, Kathy. I rarely get sick so don't have any helpful suggestions for you other than - do you have allergies (air born or food sensitivities) that would cause a secondary infection?

Just sending a shout out and hope you can get some answers from your pcp tomorrow.
      Hope you feel better soon
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Sorry you are feeling so bad.

As you know I go through a LOT of ups and downs too.

Ativan will lose the "sleepy" abilities after time. I take 4 ativan a day...does not help with sleep.

When I am so sick and can't sleep or do anything, I work on jigsaw puzzles. One is always on my Dining Room Table. I replaced one of the chairs with a really comfortable chair. Working on the puzzle makes me "zone out" and the nausea and pain get better.

As far as doing the house stuff, organize, organize and organize again. Throw out everything that has not been used in a year. I usually feel better in the afternoon. I will dedicate 1-hour to doing something in the house such as laundry. When the hour is up...I am done for the day.

Here is to you feeling better.
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi Katie,
          I'm new at these message boards. I was diagnosed in 2004 but I had symptoms much earlier. I was on Copaxone, on and off, for about five years in total.

I learned everyone has something, MS is ours and it's effects are different. The symptoms are different, the medicine side effects are different and when a neurologist told me, MS affects everyone differently, it stopped me in my tracks.

I was a mechanic my whole life and there's always a reason and a solution. There's none with MS, questionable reasons and/or solutions. Your sorry for your rant and your frustrated? We all need to rant, be frustrated, be mad and push further then we ever did. Your thinking, you care and your questioning. It's a great thing.

I have problems walking and keeping my balance, but when I walk down the stairs in the morning and have a cup of coffee, it's a good day. I have a riding mower and when I cut my lawn, I cut the neighbors too. I planted a garden, also look at the trees and the changing seasons. Everybody laughs and cries, everybody. It took me a long time to focus on what I can do instead of what I used to or can't do. Do something you didn't do before. Sometimes it's all about change.
          Katie, everyone has something, this is ours!!!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
          Sorry for the rant. It's been hectic since late fall and thru mid-March. My SSDI and 2year LTD review resolved favorably. And beautiful weather now. Why am I not enjoying it?

I wound up with a bad respiratory infection mid-March and have been on Prednisone and inhalers. I am so frustrated as it has helped very little. I see my PCP tomorrow to see what next.

I was just starting to figure out my new life, who I am without working and starting to get a little productive at home. Then wham....

I am so frustrated as it seems like a pattern for me. I start to do pretty well and then get a respiratory infection. I know I am feeling sorry for myself, and want to kick my own butt, but the Prednisone has me too anxious to even do that.

Sorry for ranting. Just needed to get it off my chest.

Does anyone else sometimes feel like you have little opportunity to feel somewhat productive before sickness and/or symptoms present themselves? What do you do to pick yourself up?

I usually can pick myself up, but all my tricks aren't working. Deep breathing or stretching, forget, I hack away. Likewise,talking to family/Friends. Listening to birds other nature,I am too jumpy and their normally beautiful songs are making me cry. Likewise, looking in my gratitude journal brings tears. TV, music want to make me jump out of my skin. My left hand is shaking too much too color, craft, write. I can't stay focused to read.

I am about ready to take the ativan round the clock and sleep away the days. Any help? Appreciate it.

Comment

That sounds SO frustrating! It is likely that you are now getting respiratory infections because of the MS medication. You didn't say what you are on but most of them lower our immune system. I'm on Tysabri and frequently I get a UTI right after my treatment. When ever I go out of the house I am so careful what I touch and carry alcohol with me at all times to sterilize my hands. The thing that is the most deadly are those pens you have to use to sign credit cards and things. Especially if I am at a pharmacy or medical facility.

If a clerk tells me to sign something, I tell them I am on immune suppressants and have to be careful what I touch. They are all trained around town so I usually don't have to say anything. This all sound crazy but I've been through so much that it's not worth it to get sick. Which invariably happens if I let down my guard.

Long before my MS diagnosis I got hit with an I controllable asthma. For 6 years I was on very high doses of prednisone, 60mg. It does change our lives. I coped with it by doing a lot what Katie said. I got up in the morning, cleaned and cleaned to wear off the extra energy, ate lunch and drove to the pool. I used to jump in that water and go like a fish.

After swimming I would either go Salsa dancing or shopping. Then, eat dinner and would finally relax. It's kind of hard to believe I did all of this because now that I have MS I'm so tired I can't even get dressed. This probably partly because of the adrenal suppression that the prednisone causes. If it is not helping maybe you would be better off not taking it.

For your lungs there is a lot more they can do. You may be helped by a pulminologist or an allergist. I think inhalers are useless. I use a nebulizer. It turns the medication into a steam and you inhale it for 15 minutes or so. They can prescribe you the liquid vials to use. Instead of having to take prednisone you can also get inhaled steroids through the nebulizer.

This may not be the answer for you but it has helped me a lot. It sounds like you are getting asthma only when you get a respiratory infection. You are lucky. There is hope around the corner. If your lungs won't clear out by spring and summer, it would be good to see an allergist. They can give you another big ticket item called Xolair. It's outrageously expensive but the shot once a month can work wonders if you have allergic asthma.

This is the MS website but not all of this can be attributable to MS. I am not in a position to give medical advice but this is what helped me. We have to be proactive (sometimes aggressive and stubborn) in our medical care because the standard protocol doesn't work for everyone. I wish you the best of luck.

Comment

Thanks all. I have lots to think about and consider. I am on Tysabri, but even with normal WBC, seem prone to the URI. Have been tested by pulmonologist last two years and normal. I guess allergist can't hurt.

As of now, they upped Prednisone and am on it for another 4-6 weeks tapering down with weekly to 2/x a week phone check with doctor. I felt better immediately on higher dosage, along with cough medicine and inhaler. They figure the taper was too quick last time. Taking the ativan to help with the side effects.

My doctor gave me his cell phone number and personal email if I need to reach him and have trouble getting thru the office They were a small practice, now gobbled up by major hospital. I think he is frustrated with red tape and procedures. He is a caring doctor - I am lucky.

My mom always had tough time clearing URIs, so guess another way I take after her.

Thanks for the understanding, empathy, support, and suggestions. Really appreciate it...crying jags hit yesterday.
              Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Glad you are feeling a little better and it does sound like you have a great dr.

I hope you start feeling a whole lot better soon.
                God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                  Thanks all. I have lots to think about and consider. I am on Tysabri, but even with normal WBC, seem prone to the URI. Have been tested by pulmonologist last two years and normal. I guess allergist can't hurt.

As of now, they upped Prednisone and am on it for another 4-6 weeks tapering down with weekly to 2/x a week phone check with doctor. I felt better immediately on higher dosage, along with cough medicine and inhaler. They figure the taper was too quick last time. Taking the ativan to help with the side effects.

My doctor gave me his cell phone number and personal email if I need to reach him and have trouble getting thru the office They were a small practice, now gobbled up by major hospital. I think he is frustrated with red tape and procedures. He is a caring doctor - I am lucky.

My mom always had tough time clearing URIs, so guess another way I take after her.

Thanks for the understanding, empathy, support, and suggestions. Really appreciate it...crying jags hit yesterday.
                  Your doctor sounds like an angel. My allergist was like until he retired at 79. I could call his emergency line any time and he would tell me what to do. Usually it meant more prednisone. That stuff does work.

But back to your doctor

Comment

Working...
                  X