Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rituxan Side Effects? What to expect? Any advice, tips, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rituxan Side Effects? What to expect? Any advice, tips, etc.

I have my first infusion on April 26. I am a little nervous because I am not sure what to expect. The nurse did let me know I will be at the infusion center for 5+ hours and encouraged to bring snacks. I would be given Rituxan, steroids, Tylenol, and benadryl. I hate not have an idea of what to expect I know everyone is different but still. Just something even some tips of what do or eat or whatever? I am driving myself crazy.

Originally posted by jbrigich14 View Post
    I have my first infusion on April 26. I am a little nervous because I am not sure what to expect. The nurse did let me know I will be at the infusion center for 5+ hours and encouraged to bring snacks. I would be given Rituxan, steroids, Tylenol, and benadryl. I hate not have an idea of what to expect I know everyone is different but still. Just something even some tips of what do or eat or whatever? I am driving myself crazy.
    I have had Rituxan for 3 years and the infusions have been uneventful. The solumedrol pre-med also doesn't bother me. I have good veins, so once the needle is in, I just sit back for 5 hours. A magazine, some water & snacks are enough for me. Good luck.

Charles

Comment

I've had 3 infusions so far. No problems really. I've had a slight allergic reaction each time but with fluids and a little more benadryl, they were able to finish the infusion. Aside from some a bit more fatigue...LOL...for about a week, I can't complain.

Good luck!

Comment

I have had minimal side effects for a few days post-infusion. Feeling lethargic is the biggest one, but that is completely normal for my body as I do not tolerate most medications well.

The first infusion is always the hardest mentally because you are not sure what the process looks like. The infusion is pretty simple, they premedicate you, place an IV, run some premedications, run the rituxan and you're done.

Pretend you are going on an airplane trip and take something to distract you like a book, knitting or whatever. Most infusion centers have snacks, but not necessarily ones that I want or that are on my diet.

The best advice that I can give you is to hydrate before, hydrate during, and hydrate after your infusion. This will minimize any side effects, help them stick the IV and keep you feeling the best possible. I'm looking forward to reading your post-infusion report. I hope and pray that Rituxan kicks MS rump for you and I wish you well.

Comment

UPDATE: 1st Infusion

I had my first infusion yesterday. I had some hiccups during were my heart rate was high and blood pressure was high and scratchy throat and tight chest. The full infusion lasted 6 hours. I did have a weird taste in my mouth. Regular water did not taste good at all. I was definitely tired when all done. I got a headache last night. Today thought I was okay but realized I have no energy. So need to just take it easy.

Comment

Working...
          X