SPMS and wheelchair bound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPMS and wheelchair bound

What medicine are any of you on? The new medicines I hear about are for RRMS.

I take LDN, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Biotin, Curcumin, N-acetyl glucosamine and Calcium 2aep...all for MS.

Lipoic Acid for Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

The purpose of the study is to determine if lipoic acid can protect the brain and slow disability in secondary progressive multiple sclerosis

There are no approved medications that are neuroprotective or able to slow disability accumulation in secondary progressive multiple sclerosis (SPMS). This two-year study will determine if daily oral intake of lipoic acid, a natural supplement, will prove superior to placebo in reducing injury to the brain and reducing disability progression in SPMS. Neuroprotection will be measured by the extent of brain volume loss seen on MRI, and disability will be measured by neurological status and quality of life.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01188811

Comment

Originally posted by nkh18 View Post
      What medicine are any of you on? The new medicines I hear about are for RRMS.
      Hi nkh18:

Are you referring only to prescription medications used as disease-modifying therapies for MS? The mention of RRMS implies that.

Are you also including symptom-relief medicines for which stage of MS isn't an issue?

Are you also including supplements and anything the cat dragged in, which also don't have any relation to prescription status or stage of MS?

Depending on what you want to include, you can get a very wide range of answers.

Comment

Originally posted by knuckle;1491932[B
        Lipoic Acid for Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis (MS)[/B]
        https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01188811
        That's just the announcement of the study. Where are the results?

Comment

Here are some preliminary results Lipoic Acid

Lipoic acid may provide ‘inexpensive’ MS treatment (18/04/16)
          Results from a "highly promising pilot study" presented at the 68th annual American Academy of Neurology meeting in Canada have shown Lipoic acid is safe, well tolerated, and offers neuroprotection in patients with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis (MS).

The two-year randomised, double-blind trial found lipoic acid, an inexpensive small molecule oral antioxidant, demonstrated "a significant reduction in whole brain atrophy, a trend towards beneficial effects on walking speed and reduction in falls, and overall safety and tolerability," Rebecca I. Spain, MD, MSPH, of the VA Portland Health Care System and Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, and colleagues reported.

The study randomised 54 patients with secondary progressive MS to either placebo or lipoic acid 1200mg/day. Of these subjects, 51 took at least one dose and were included in the analysis, 24 in the placebo group and 27 in the lipoic acid group.

Reduction in MRI whole brain atrophy was the primary outcome.

"Secondary outcomes included atrophy of brain substructures, spinal cord atrophy, retinal and macular atrophy, changes in neurological exam, walking, cognition, fatigue, and quality of life," researchers noted.

Lipoic acid "is found in trace quantities in foods like liver, spinach, and yeast," Dr. Spain noted; however, "the major source is endogenous synthesis. The lipoic acid/dihydrolipoic acid redox couple is a key co-factor for pyruvate dehydrogenase in mitochondria, which may relate to its mechanism of action in MS," she added.

In a mouse model of MS—experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis—lipoic acid has been shown to decrease inflammation as well as optic and spinal cord atrophy.

"A larger trial is necessary to confirm the effects of brain atrophy, determine the clinical benefits, and further affirm the safety of lipoic acid in the progressive MS population," the investigators concluded.

Source: MPR Copyright © 2016 Haymarket Media, Inc (18/04/16)

Comment

Lipoic acid

Sounds promising.... but being pessimistic , if someone can't make lots of money with it .... probably studies won't be hurried along. Always hopeful that it will become about the health of the people with these diseases , not the $

Comment

If your Dr is able to rx Tysabri for you, I would try it for 4-6 months. I know the study did not prove out for spms but, I think for some it msers it works ??
              Linda

Comment

Working...
              X