Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falling over... MS? or just clumsiness?

Hi all,

Today I faceplanted going up some concrete steps at a conference.. and then half an hour later tripped over a cable and broke the connector to a presenters laptop :-o I've only been diagnosed with MS for 6 months, and haven't got a mobility issue (or do I?).... so I'm not sure if this is a MS thing or I am just super clumsy???

I had to get up way earlier than I normally do, so I was tired, and in unfamiliar surroundings.

The bruise pattern that is coming up is very similar to what I got when I tripped over walking a dog a couple of months ago (walking along a purpose built path for blind people! wasn't paying attention, tripped on an uneven edging - lol!).... which is making me think maybe it is a pattern.... prior to that I don't recall too many face-planting incidents!

I don't know if its a "progression" to report... its not like I can replicate it, or anyone can test my clumsiness right?

Worried the MS is turning me into a hyperchondriac! :-D

Hi Chirpy,

It's the MS.

It is within the issues due to gait (walking) difficulties seen in MS. The link below will give you a better understanding:
    http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...e-Coordination

I have dealt with this type of issue since I was a kid. For me it is simply the inability to pick my feet up enough to clear objects. I have to pay attention to objects, even a small pebble, as any variation in surface makes me lose my balance and increases my risk for falls.

I do not pick my feet up to clear objects, I have to consciously tell myself to pick my feet up to avoid tripping on something. I hate stairs. I can't tell you how many times I have tripped or fallen going up and down. I take stairs very slow and focus on where my feet are positioned.

It would be a good idea to let your Neurologist know. It's not necessarily progression but simply a miscommunication with nerves not getting the right signals of what you want your body to do or react.

Being more aware of what is in your path can help. You may need to stop and consciously lift your feet over objects or changes in surface flooring. My Husband and children, out of concern, always point out objects that I may trip on.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Sorry this stuff is happening to you ! I can relate to your stumbles ! I did the same things in the first days of my MS journey . This is MS !
      I also had had a stumble into a flat screen TV that was laying on the floor, being prepared to be hung on the wall in an office ! Trashed !
      Once you are aware that your balance is compromised, you have MS ! And MS has you ! Welcome to the fraternity! Good luck

Comment

Hi Chirpy,

It's never fun to fall, but falling while others are watching, is the worst.

Ask your neuro to check your gaint. You may have drop foot, or foot drop, same thing,
        but different wording I've seen used.

If that's what it is, it just means you may have lost some dorsiflexion
        and that's why you're tripping over things. Normal walking should consist
        of a heel toe movement. Drop foot can keep the toes from lifting off the
        ground, and affect the movement at your ankle, so instead of getting a heel/toe
        movement, you get a sort of "slap" when you put your foot down. Easily
        spotted by a neuro with just a check of some neuro reflexes.

There is help if that's what's plaguing you. In fact, there are several levels
        of help (devices) depending on how bad the drop foot is.

Comment

It could also be the weakening of the hip flexors due to nerve damage caused by the MS. I don't have foot drop but do have weakened hip flexors. For me it has been progressive...

Comment

Thanks guys.... Ill send an email to my MS nurse!

I hope my legs don't go too bad, I live in a house that's about 5 storeys up a windy path from the street! (and then it's a 2 storey house when you get there!) Not very mobility friendly :-/

Comment

I have ms for 28 yrs so I can remember this quite well. I was always falling over I would be walking along and the next thing I know I would be on the ground

I remember two times I came out of a grocery store with a bag of groceries, a dress on, stockings and heels. Next thing I know I'm on the ground groceries all over, ripped stockings and bloody knees A lady came to help and I was so embarrassed I said I'm ok I don't need help

Another time I worked in a state prison and I fell in the hallway with an inmate helping me up The inmate wanted to know what was wrong with me and you do not tell inmates anything

Yep I Had a lot of falls I think I was still trying to go as fast as I used to then realized I had to slow down.

Shoo
              Shoo

Comment

Sorry to hear about your falling. I actually was asking myself the same question. I fell asleep on the couch the other night and when I awoke and got up to drag myself to bed, I fell, face first into my pellet stove. I am now the proud (sarcastic) owner of two black eyes and a band-aid on my nose for the laceration. I get to go to my first Tysabri infusion looking like I was in a rip roaring bar brawl.

It's the first time since my dx this has happened. I am not panicking yet, but I do believe that it is clumsiness but that clumsiness is a direct affect from the MS. Good luck with the MS nurse. I would be curious to know what she thinks!

Be safe!

Comment

I was having same thoughts, especially since I had to see orthopedist after 2 falls. He asked me if I was clumsy or was my MS affecting me. I told him I didn't know.

Fast forward to neuro check-up this week and he said that I do know. So he did the gait/strength test which of course showed problems again.

He recommended PT for full analysis and exercises to stabilize it and see if I can recover some. As ru4cats said, I know I have a weak right hip flexor and almost no balance if I shut my eyes.

It is a good conversation with o have
                  Kathy
                  DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

It's the MS.

No use analyzing every bruise. Just be thankful you didn't hurt yourself.

Strangely, since I've had MS, I have fallen and fallen and fallen but have not hurt anything. It's like being a rag doll. Knock on wood.

One day I got up and crashed in the bathtub, then I pulled myself up and crashed the other direction. It took about 5 pairs of crashes before I regained some equilibrium.
                    That, it turned out, was due to a brain aneurism.

So, if it's just one fall, it's most likely just the MS. But we have to be careful not to lump everything into the MS bucket. Other things can happen, too.

Comment

Same here, palmtree,

I never seem to get hurt either, other than a minor scrape here and there. Not sure if it's skill or luck.
                      PPMS
                      Dx 07/13

Comment

Working...
                      X