Comorbidity MS and Depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comorbidity MS and Depression

Comorbidity is very common in multiple sclerosis (MS) and exerts a significant impact on health-related quality of life (HRQoL), results of 2 studies published in Neurology indicate.

Psychiatric conditions such as anxiety and depression, and physical conditions such as hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and chronic lung disease are among the most frequently reported comorbidities,1,2 with complex interactions that produce both direct and indirect effects on HRQoL, reported Ruth Ann Marrie, MD, PhD, Director of the Multiple Sclerosis Clinic at the Health Sciences Centre of the University of Manitoba, CA, , and colleagues.

The first study investigated the impact of psychiatric and physical types of comorbidity on HRQoL in MS in a cohort of 949 people with MS from 4 Canadian MS centers. Sixty-three percent of patients had HRQoL scores consistent with significant disability using Health Utilities Index Mark 3 (HUI3) criteria (<0.70).1,3 Depression was the most frequently reported comorbidity (29.0%), followed by hypertension (17.8%), hypercholesterolemia (12.4%), and anxiety disorder (11.5%).1,3

Additionally:
    • The presence of comorbid conditions directly corresponded to lower HRQol
    • Higher numbers of comorbidities corresponded to lower HRQol
    • Compared with physical comorbidities, psychiatric comorbid conditions showed a stronger impact on HRQoL

Consequences of comorbidities appear to escalate, as the authors found that psychiatric symptoms of anxiety, and particularly depression all worsened in the presence of physical comorbidities, as did fatigue.

“Depression on its own had an effect on HRQoL, but the other physical comorbidities had an impact, and an important part of their effects was mediated by depression. So it became an important piece of the pathway,” Dr Marrie told Neurology Advisor, observing that, “It was the magnitude of the effect that was interesting as well. If you look at the direct effects of depression and the indirect effects mediated by depression, you end up with an effect that was almost as large as disability status.”

This study was consistent with prior research that analyzed data from 8983 participants in the North American Research Committee on Multiple Sclerosis (NARCOMS) global patient registry, and found that risk of a subsequent diagnosis of depression was increased in those who had any physical comorbidity at the time of MS diagnosis.

The effects of depression, anxiety, and fatigue also appeared to compound each other. Dr Marrie pointed to a path analysis compiled by lead author Lindsay Berrigan that produced a beta coefficient of 0.28 for a direct effect of Expanded Disabilities Status Scale (EDSS) score and physical comorbidity on depression. “We could then see that depression also increased fatigue, which had its own effect of reducing quality of life by -.27, and that anxiety and depression fed into each other,” Dr Marrie said, which allowed them to work through the multiple components to arrive at a final pathway of depression-associated reduction in quality of life.

Source: http://www.neurologyadvisor.com/mult...rticle/488135/

Other than high cholesterol, I have been diagnosed everything else mentioned. I can also add obesity to my problems.
    Karen

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
      The first study investigated the impact of psychiatric and physical types of comorbidity on HRQoL in MS in a cohort of 949 people with MS from 4 Canadian MS centers. Sixty-three percent of patients had HRQoL scores consistent with significant disability using Health Utilities Index Mark 3 (HUI3) criteria (<0.70).1,3 Depression was the most frequently reported comorbidity (29.0%), followed by hypertension (17.8%), hypercholesterolemia (12.4%), and anxiety disorder (11.5%).1,3
      Although I don't think they needed a sophisticated research study to realize the more problems one has the lower their reported quality of life would be in most cases what I did wonder about was the comorbidity stats above as compared to non-MSers because these percentages didn't sound out of line for what I would guess is similar to people without MS.

A quick google search indicated only depression was higher, everything else is similar or reduced compared to the overall population:

The overall age-adjusted prevalence of hypertension among U.S. adults aged 18 and over was 28.6% in 2009–2010 (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db107.htm)

Just over 13% of U.S. adults had high total cholesterol. (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db92.htm)

Anxiety disorder: 18.1% of all adult population (http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/stati...g-adults.shtml)
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Forgive me for not truly understanding this thread. I am pretty sure I fall into this category of health issues. I have a huge list of illnesses that carry anxiety as a symptom and share symptoms with my MS.

What I don't understand is what this study and the report means for us? It seems to be just a lot of medical talk and big words without any remedy at the end.

What should this article mean for someone like me? How does it affect YOU?
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
          Forgive me for not truly understanding this thread. I am pretty sure I fall into this category of health issues. I have a huge list of illnesses that carry anxiety as a symptom and share symptoms with my MS.

What I don't understand is what this study and the report means for us? It seems to be just a lot of medical talk and big words without any remedy at the end.

What should this article mean for someone like me? How does it affect YOU?
          Just my take away is that there is a worsening of EDSS score when depression is part of diagnosis. The study seems to confirm what has always been said, that depression contributes to fatigue and reduced quality of life, but now they have tied it to impact on MS disability.

As for what it means to us, same as what I have always understood. If your depression is under control, you have more energy, and then may be able to do things that improve your quality of life (exercise, eat better, etc...) That then may improve your disability score.

But I am not a medical person either! Just what I took away from it. And it is no different from what I have heard from 3 neurologists along this journey.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I'm like Marti where I didn't understand

After reading this when it was first posted I received my Narcoms magazine in the mail and they had an article on this and it helped a little to understand.

The only two thing I have are anxiety and depression

Shoo
            Shoo

Comment

Deep thought

I've read a lot about depression and MS. I often question if it's really depression? As my ppms progresses, and I lose more abilities, I view it more as an ongoing mourning process. Can't play guitar? Mourn the loss of the skill. Can't do wood working? Mourn the loss. I find that there are numerous aspects that, in my opinion, are more closely linked to the mourning process. With the mourning of the loss of many things at once, it's a constant battle to keep my thoughts in check. It's more akin to knowing what's going on and preparing for the various stages of mourning.

I don't feel "depressed", but it may seem to an outside observer that I would be, or down days are indicative of depression. Often it's unrelated, or taking time to accept a phase of the process. It doesn't mean it's the same driver each time. If you lose two loved ones, you may be at a different stage in the process for each.

Just an odd perspective.

Comment

Skidder,
                MS patients can definitely experience a cycle of "continual loss." A nurse told me that MS, Parkinson and Alzheimer's patients were the most difficult to her. Her reasoning was we experience continual loss and there's no real treatment to prevent the progression. Despite her best efforts and marvels of modern science we still often have rampant progression. She then said at least Alzheimer's patients might forget the trauma while MS patients cannot.

I'm not sure I agree 100% with her sentiments, but your comment reminded me of her statements.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidder View Post
                  I've read a lot about depression and MS. I often question if it's really depression? With the mourning of the loss of many things at once, it's a constant battle to keep my thoughts in check. It's more akin to knowing what's going on and preparing for the various stages of mourning.

Just an odd perspective.
                  Skidder, I appreciate what you said. You've voiced some of my thoughts.
                  Karen

Comment

I believe it is a combination of things. Like others have mentioned, the numerous heartbreaking losses, but also actual brain changes that can trigger the depression so many of us suffer from.
                    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                    Anonymous

Comment

Skidder I have similar issues. I don't have "depression" but I get situational depression, or sometimes it is called an "adjustment disorder" it is not really depression in the medical sense however it's effects on my life are pretty much the same as if I suffered from real depression. Then as others have mentioned just about the time I deal with the new situation a new adjustment is required and I go through the cycle again.

It is interesting that most people with situational depression get over it within 6 months so if you have 2 relapses a year you could easily land in a permanent cycle of situational depression. This can long term lead to clinical depression so it is something to keep an eye on. In my case the frequency of life changes has caused me to "get over it" in about 2 weeks to 2 months and so I get a break from the situational depression before the next wave hits. So far it has not developed into full on clinical depression but I have an awesome family support structure if I didn't I imagine I would have been a basket case several years ago.

Good luck to all MS'rs with either full on clinical depression or just a never ending cycle of situational depression it sucks!
                      Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Working...
                      X