MRI with Titanium ribs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRI with Titanium ribs??

I was in a hideous car accident, and now have Titanium plated ribs.

Does anyone know if I can have an MRI with that much metal in my torso?
    You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Hi zilphia I don't know the answer to your question, but wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you! I'm so sorry you were in a horrible accident requiring titanium plated ribs and wish you the best as you recover. When was the accident? Please take care of yourself
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

thank you Seasha

I got hit in Florida on Feb 16, and had to stay in hospital 45 DAYS.... that is toooooo long to be hospitalized.

They kept saying.. "oh, you have MS too?" I was supposed to start Gilenya the next week. Needless to say THAT did not happen. I have been without a DMD since that day, which makes me a wee bit nervous.

I don't feel any different symptoms. Wonder how long it takes for an exacerbation to show up, if it is going to. Probably like every other symptom with this darn disease.... different for every person.
      You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

Titanium Compatibility with MRI

That is a LONG time to be in the hospital. I am so sorry. It must have been very difficult. The longest I have been hospitalized is 5 days.

Metal that is magnetic is not compatible with MRI equipment. Examples would be bullets and metal shrapnel. Titanium is NOT magnetic. The reason most orthopedic and dental implants are made of titanium is specifically because because they ARE MRI-compatible. Some examples would be hip/knee replacements, plates, rods and screws. Any time you go in for an MRI you should, however, inform the technician that you have a titanium implant and its location.

I hope this is of some help and that you are recovering well. Good luck.

Comment

I have a lot of titanium in my back. I have MRIs done without a problem.

Comment

Working...
          X