Heat and heart rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat and heart rate

I realize that sunshine or heat till increase anyone's heart rate. But since a damaged Central Nervous System really seems to dislike heat I wonder if MS makes this more of a problem for us.

I used to be able to sit out in the sun, even if it wasn't too hot, but now... wow... my heart rate goes up and gets pretty uncomfortable. This is not new for me, but seems to be getting worse.

After the winter, it feels good to be outside reading and warming up a little. But a little goes a long way. The house hasn't warmed up enough yet inside so it's still a little too cool, but the deck is hot, even though the temp isn't very high yet.

Of course, there are times my heart rate goes up a little because of anxiety or something else I haven't identified. Sooooo..... does MS affect the heart rate, regardless of the sun and heat??
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I do not ( IM knocking on wood) have any aversions to sunshine or heat. With that being said, the only timethat I have noticed an increase in my heart rate was when I was able to be physically active. I am probably not much help you, but I wanted to chime in any way.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
      I do not ( IM knocking on wood) have any aversions to sunshine or heat. With that being said, the only timethat I have noticed an increase in my heart rate was when I was able to be physically active. I am probably not much help you, but I wanted to chime in any way.

So, is it normal for our heart rates to increase with physical activity. Even just mild things like sweeping or washing dishes? It's not over the top, but I feel so uncomfortable when this happens. I've had all the usual heart tests but they were a few years ago. I have several other problems that can cause all these weird symptoms so I'm not really laying it all off on the MS. Just wondered. Thanks
      Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
        So, is it normal for our heart rates to increase with physical activity. Even just mild things like sweeping or washing dishes? It's not over the top, but I feel so uncomfortable when this happens. I've had all the usual heart tests but they were a few years ago. I have several other problems that can cause all these weird symptoms so I'm not really laying it all off on the MS. Just wondered. Thanks
        yes, it is normal for our heart rate to increase with only mild activity (and the more sedentary, you are, the more it will increase). Your heart rate should not increase to the point it is uncomfortable. I would not think. But I have no medical training and I could be completely wrong. I would think that if you have had all the tests, you probably saw a doctor? I would ask your pharmacist of about your medications and their side effects. Explain to them why you are looking to get information.please keep us up to date. Good luck
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Marti, my heart rate goes up with heat, caffeine, and chocolate. It does go up a little with activity but not as much. In fact, I have to take beta blockers to lower my heart rate. I also get chest pain when my heart rate or blood pressure goes up. I had a full work up with the cardiologist and they didn't find anything. Luckily, the beta blocker was already part of my med list so they didn't discontinue it. I believe mine is partly from autonomic disorder. You could have a 24 hour monitor if you continue to notice it. I always verify my heart rate or blood pressure with a monitor whenever I feel chest pain. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Comment

Originally posted by KatW View Post
            Marti, my heart rate goes up with heat, caffeine, and chocolate. It does go up a little with activity but not as much. In fact, I have to take beta blockers to lower my heart rate. I also get chest pain when my heart rate or blood pressure goes up. I had a full work up with the cardiologist and they didn't find anything. Luckily, the beta blocker was already part of my med list so they didn't discontinue it. I believe mine is partly from autonomic disorder. You could have a 24 hour monitor if you continue to notice it. I always verify my heart rate or blood pressure with a monitor whenever I feel chest pain. Hope you are feeling better soon.

I used to take Beta Blockers when I was hyperthyroid and had palpitations. Sometimes I wish I had just a few of them to use in these situations. I sure hope chocolate isn't causing any of this. I might as well die now!! I use a finger oximeter and a blood pressure monitor. My b/p is always sky high in the doctors office, but comes back to normal at home. We've tested that theory many times. And I did have the 24 hour monitor a couple of times. I believe they found some premature beats... can't remember what that's called right now. But they killed my thyroid and got that under control ( until recently ) and that problem went away ( until recently ). Just a minor problem. All I know is when my h/r or b/p goes up... I know it. It's not the invisible illness you hear about for me. I just can't help wondering if this is an autonomic thing. I've mentioned it to the neuro and she always, always brushes it off. Won't even test for it. Sorry, I'm a big worrywort. Anxiety is my constant companion since I was dx with several autoimmune problems. Thanks so much.
            Marti

Comment

Working...
            X