Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RECEIVED AN ANGRY CALL FROM MY VA NEURO YESTERDAY...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RECEIVED AN ANGRY CALL FROM MY VA NEURO YESTERDAY...

My Neuro called me yesterday afternoon and started the conversation by accusing me of sending her a disc of the MRI I this past Monday. She said you know we cannot read these discs because of our security system so I want to know why you sent it. I explained to her I did not send the disc not do I know who did. She would not let up. She continued on "well if you didn't send it who did?" I told her I have know idea and to please quit accusing me of doing something I did not do.

Then she went to ask me why I never have my MRI's at the VA lab? I told her because they stay booked up and they cannot get me in within 30 days so THEY send me to a civilian lab. I told her I really don't care where I have my MRI's. Then all H::L broke loose. She said and I quote "I'll tell you why you don't have your MRI's here, it's because you complained about the service you have received here to someone in Washington D.C. that's why they won't do your MRI's." I told her that has nothing to do with it.

Then she tells my symptoms to relate to my MRI findings. She said we need a MRI of your complete spinal cord. She didn't remember we had one on December 3rd so I reminded her. She well and. Garcia what do want to do? What are your suggestions at this point? I told I don't know you're the doctor you tell me.

The conversation ended there and she said she will schedule an appointment for me to come in within a month. And that was that.

Oh, I left one thing out. She asked I was doing after my steroids. I made to comment that as I understand it Steroid treatments are taken to, hopefully shorten the length of the flare, and do not affect the symptoms. She came back angrily that's is NOT TRUE. They are also meant to relieve the symptoms the patient is having. I said well to be honest I am still having significant trouble walking, with pins and needles, numbness and burning sensation on the soles of my feel mainly at night. My hands tingle off and on. She said well those are sensory symptoms and your MRI doesn't show that you should be having those. By this time I had enough of her attitude and anger towards me so I asked her, well do you treat the MRI or do you treat the patient? Also, don't you think it's possible I have lesions the MRI isn't picking them up? There was dead silence on the end of the line.

That's when the conversation ended.

It's time to E-mail my contact in D.C. and get "The Choice" 40 mile program going since the VA is dragging their heels on that too even after they were directed to get me enrolled immediately. I have a story about my pain meds that is unbelievable but that's for another post.

If you read this whole thing sorry for boring you but I had to vent and get this off my chest.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

So.. this is the treatment to expect from the VA ? I think it is time for you to look to the system for better professionals. Good luck

Comment

JerryD

You are exactly right and I am working doing just that. Unfortunately nothing with the VA moves very fast.
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

Babe Ruth

Comment

Hard to Deal With!

I would find the neuro's attitude very, very hard to deal with! My neuro, though not VA of course, is very empathetic and though he can't always do anything to help with my ongoing symptoms I do know he cares.

I hope you can find someone with more empathy and kindness. We shouldn't have to put up with bad attitudes from our doctors!!!!

Comment

This upsets me tremendously. My dad was a WWII vet with some disability from frostbite.

Not only did you have to wait 30 days to see your neuro during suspected relapse, you had to endure a terrible attitude. You have every right to complain to Washington when your medical attention is lacking. That your doctor would know you complained previously and then used it against you is awful.

I know the VA centers are under tremendous pressure to increase the care/benefits our vets need, and knowing our government, not funding and not doing it efficiently. I am sure they are overworked. But there is no excuse for unloading on a patient.

Our vets deserve better. I hope you are successful in getting better care. Feel better. And once again, thanks for your service.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

No doctor should ever treat a patient the way you were treated.
            The "hurry up & wait" mentality the VA has is shameful. Overworked, understaffed - still no excuse to treat someone who wrote that Blank Check and now needs care. Thanks for serving.
            Keep pushing for what you deserve. Be that squeeky wheel. And if the doc needs to call & yell at oyu again, report that again too.

Vent away. We're here for you. Wish I could do more.
            "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
            Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

That is SO unprofessional. I hope their is a grievance procedure where you are. How about writing your Congressmen or your favorite Presidential election candidate?

US Veterans should never ever be treated like that.

Comment

My husband has been fighting with the VA system for years! I finally got him on Medicare and we have pretty much kicked the VA out of the picture. If you can get on disability you might want to think about ending your relationship with the VA. We used them when we didn't have a choice. When he didn't have any insurance. Now he just goes for annual checkups and gets his meds from them.

It really is a disgrace that our Veterans are treated like second class citizens.
                Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                  That is SO unprofessional. I hope their is a grievance procedure where you are. How about writing your Congressmen or your favorite Presidential election candidate?

US Veterans should never ever be treated like that.
                  Nobody should be treated like that, vet or not.

Comment

third

third most expensive social program in the united states !! wow

Comment

UPDATE E-MAIL FROM D.C.....

So last night I decided to send another E-mail to a lady that is over "National Education and Training, Associate Director of Education for the MS Center of Excellence.

She E-mail sounded as if she was not aware of of my problems, which I find hard to believe since I CC'd her on my first E-mail. She did the usual apology and went on to explain how th VA works hard to give the Veterans the kind of care they deserve in a timely fashion.

She then said while I was waiting for my paperwork to process she would like to send my some DVD's of Veterans sharing their stories about living with MS and additional educational MS DVD's. It was painfully obvious she was trying to appease me and trying to keep me quiet, at least that's the feeling I got from her E-mail. I have not replied just yet but I will tomorrow.

I do not like to be patronized. I can hear the late Great Peter O'Toole saying, "Don't patronize me" in his English accent.

So I will reply with an appropriate E-mail tomorrow after giving it the thought it deserves.

Thank you all for your replies and the thanks for my service.

Babe Ruth

Comment

Working...
                      X