Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I admit to being ignorant, but this isnt a 'stupid' question ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I admit to being ignorant, but this isnt a 'stupid' question ...

I feel that I SHOULD know, after all these years, but I kept my head in the ground and just assumed that my neuro had everything under control. The longer that I am in this game the more I realize that I don't know (and even question how much my neuro knew), so my question is:

How long to lesions hang around? I mean I know (think) that not all symptoms have lesions and that not all lesions have symptoms associated with them, and I have heard (read) of them getting smaller and of them 'going away?'. But if I have a symptom, and IF there is a lesion associated with it, will it go away at some point after the symptom does? Will it show up for an amount of time afterwards? Or do they hang around forever?

And do the lesions show up before the symptoms do? I mean say I have an MRI and then a symptoms starts the next week. I wouldn't really expect the MRI to catch it then, but will it still show the following year on an annual MRI?

I really should have tried to learn more about this when I have the ability to actually learn things, but since I was 'doing so well' it didn't occur to me that I would ever end up not being able to do so later .

There really isn't one answer. It is complex, do don't feel like you should know it all.

First, MRI technology in its current state, won't pick up all lesions. Some are too small to see. When technology advances, more lesions may be seen. Some people experienced this when getting MRI on 3.0 machine vs prior 1.5, they had more lesions.

Second, radiologists have different styles in reporting, usually in how detailed they report. So it is important that your neuro look at the pictures too. My report actually said unchanged, but when neuro looked, one lesion in spine had grown.

My MRI has been mostly stable, with one spinal lesion getting a little smaller and one a little larger. So 11 years of same lesions showing. I have had symptoms go away, but yet, the same lesions still show. Likewise, new symptoms appear and not leave.

If you are having a relapse, the MRI may show if one is currently enhancing (inflammation present). I have had a relapse where MRI did not show any enhancement, but I still had a relapse via symptoms and neuro exam with partial recovery from symptoms.

There have been studies where people have had monthly MRIs, and evidence of lesions showing and then disappearing.

The other part is the brain is incredibly complex. There is a concept of neuroplasticity, which is the Brain's ability to "rewire" itself when damage occurs. So in some cases, this could be responsible for recovery from symptoms, while the lesion remains. This is why you hear this is greater correlation to symptoms in spinal lesions than with brain lesions.

So I don't think the medical community has all the answers yet. Maybe as technology continues to advance and more is learned about the complex brain, more will be understood.

This is just my take on things. I may have it confused as well
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

To the extent that you say that you are ignorant, I would say that you are not alone ! I understand the points that you are making and I would say that you need to ask them of your neurologist. As far as I can discern, lesions happen and they are permanent. I have heard that they don't heal. That's all I know on the subject! Good luck

Comment

This is a frequently asked question on this site. Lesions seem to fade or appear to have disappeared over time. But, from what I understand, the damage to the myelin is done.

What if one day they realized measuring MS by lesions in the brain was not an accurate marker of MS after all. We get worse but MRIs remain unchanged. What if there is more to it?

Comment

Great Question!

I think this is a *great* question. My MRIs show many lesions yet the only symptoms I have had were ON 7 years ago and some numbness in my right hand and foot! Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by thisiswater View Post
            I think this is a *great* question. My MRIs show many lesions yet the only symptoms I have had were ON 7 years ago and some numbness in my right hand and foot! Go figure.
            Ditto, ditto, ditto, dittox millions! I am just the opposite, I have very few lesions but MANY symptoms!
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I don't think there is a one to one correlation. One lesion in a specific location on the spine does not necessarily mean there is going to be any specific symptoms associated with it. I think the neurologists and the radiologists are finding these lesions on the MRI and they attribute them to your symptoms.
              So, as I said earlier, I don't think your questions are 'stupid' or 'ignorant'.
              I think that the MRI is a tool that hasn't been in use for a long enough time for the images to be completely understood at this time. I am only guessing and that's my guess.

Comment

I don't know the answers to your questions. But it can be applied to other diseases also. I have Graves Disease and my doctor ( who is a great guy ) seems to think I should understand all the technical details of hormones and the disease process. I tell him I just don't understand all of it and he kind of gets mad. I thought HE was the one who was supposed to understand it all and keep me grounded. These doctors are the ones we are paying for their expertise. We count on them to keep us healthy or at least alive.

If it wasn't for forums like this one we would all be floundering around like fish out of water... with few answers...more questions and fears. If you choose to be a doctor.. be a good one!
                Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I DID NOT wish to imply that I believe that I am not smart - even though it is harder to remember things and it takes longer to process new information . The title of this post was chosen with care.
                  To be "ignorant" means that one simply does not know something, it has nothing to do with the ability to learn. That would be related to 'stupid' ...

Anyhow I will ask my neuro the next visit I have, which will be a great time as we will be discussing my upcoming MRI. I seem to remember that a link was posted once that showed a time elapsed series of MRI's on a person with MS. I had book-marked it, but computer problems caused it to disappear, and I can't find it here. I had hoped that someone might re-post that.

But I will take the suggestion and talk to neuro about it.

Comment

Working...
                  X