Predicting if relatives will get MS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Predicting if relatives will get MS.

It is now more possible to predict which individuals will develop multiple sclerosis (MS), according to findings published in the Annals of Neurology.

The risk for first-degree relatives developing MS is still low, though, the researchers said. Of 10,000 first degree relatives, only about 60 will be diagnosed with MS over five years, the researchers estimated.

http://www.hcplive.com/medical-news/...ith-more-ease-

Hi Marco,

Thanks for posting that link.

I always heard that siblings had the greatest risk...I don't know how I heard or where I read that info, it's probably an older theory.

I know Tawanda's mom had MS, so she'd fit in this group. Over the years, I remember several posters whose children had MS.

Interesting that they'll extend the study for 20 years because the age at diagnosis is so variable, it would have to be that way.

Comment

In my family, MS seems to have skipped a generation. While neither my parents nor my siblings have MS, two of my nieces have been diagnosed with it.

Of course who knows for sure about my aunts or uncles. They, along with both my parents have all passed away many years ago. And given that MS was not as 'easy' to diagnose years ago, someone could have had it and not known.

I do think a cousin has it, but not positive. However, I do know several other auto immune diseases run in my family.
      Echo
      DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
        Interesting that they'll extend the study for 20 years because the age at diagnosis is so variable, it would have to be that way.
        I think that is essential. I was diagnosed at 40. By then, my mom had already been passed away from her MS for 30 plus years. My died passed shortly BEFORE my diagnosis. They left this planet thinking everything was fine. Just as well. It will kill me if the family curse hits my DD. No doubt with both a mother and a grandmother with a history of MS, her odds of getting it are increased .

Thanks for the shoutout
        Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Echo2099 View Post
          In my family, MS seems to have skipped a generation. While neither my parents nor my siblings have MS, two of my nieces have been diagnosed with it.

Of course who knows for sure about my aunts or uncles. They, along with both my parents have all passed away many years ago. And given that MS was not as 'easy' to diagnose years ago, someone could have had it and not known.

I do think a cousin has it, but not positive. However, I do know several other auto immune diseases run in my family.
          Same here, my dad's side of the family was replete with auto immune disorders. Among my aunts and uncles, one died of ALS, 3 had Parkinson's. Strange thing is my dad was afflicted with a genetic disease...NF1 (neurofibromatosis 1) and his offspring had a 50/50 chance of having the disease, yet out of the 4 of us, none did.

Comment

Interesting! I believe I am the only person in my extended family with MS (and it is atypical) but there is lots of autoimmune disease: rheumatoid arthritis, Guilliam Barre', Reynaud's. Otherwise everyone on both sides lives in reasonable health until 100-102 then they literally keel over. No cancer, heart disease, and only type II diabetes in the super-elderly folks.
            RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Working...
            X