ALMOST LET HER HAVE IT!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALMOST LET HER HAVE IT!!!

Yesterday my older son had his first family get together at his new house he built. It was a typical South Louisiana Easter weekend get together. Boiled crawfish, hamburgers, hot dogs and sweets for days. Oh and of course cold beer.

Everything fine and I was holding up as best as I could. Fatigue was gnawing at me, pain in my legs and walking was out of the question. Late in the afternoon his next door neighbors walked over and my DW and I were talking with them. Somehow the subject turned to me being in a wheelchair. My DW explained I have MS and talked to them about the struggles. I was really proud of her. Then the neighbor lady said she knew someone that has MS and she took a medication that began with a C.

I knew right away what she meant but I had tired of of the conversation and was ready to move one. My DW sensed that and tried to change the subject but this lady wasn't letting up. She kept saying I sure wish I could think of that medication. I know it starts with a C. Finally I had heard enough and said she takes Copaxone, that's the name of the medication.

That's when it happened. Here she goes...Thaaat's it. Well let me tell you she takes that and she is doing just GREAT!! At that point I could have blasted her. It just rubbed me the wrong way. But then I thought, she has now way of knowing I just had a flare, she doesn't know I just went through hell with IVSM treatment. So I explained the treatment protocol for Copoxane and for Avonex which is what I take.

Patience won out this time and I hope it wins out every time. As I think back about the conversation her husband was truly engaging and interested in MS. She was a one upper. You know the kind, they know more and have done more than anyone. Anyway I'll finish boring you now. I guess the timing for that conversation was just bad.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Good for you! Staying social is so critical...and yet so hard! It would be so easy for me to be a shut-in. My MS is rarely brought up because I do not have a cane or W/C...our "props" arrouse curiosity, unfortunately. I have dealt many similar people. It is become second nature and much easier to just let such comments go. I think most people mean well and are trying to find some common ground with us "aliens". Who knows what would come out of my mouth if the tables were reversed? I am the idiot who has actually asked a person when her baby was due and found out she wasn't even pregnant (you don't make that mistake twice in life!).

Btw, about a million people contacted me about this "new miracle drug, Tecfidera" that they saw on a tv commercial. My response: "Yes, I know about it, yes I tried it, no it does not turn you into that spunky woman in the commercial, but thanks for thinking of me.. "
    Tawanda

Comment

All I can say is I understand you.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Hi Waydwnsouth1 well done for not lashing out, I and many others know exactly what you mean, I always say to myself "they are just trying to be helpful" as soon as something to do with MS comes on the tv I know Im going to get a heap of "helpful advice" ,you have to take the good with the bad Craig
        Good one Tawanda with the pregnancy mistake I bet you never let that happen again Craig

Comment

Know it alls

My 2 older brothers fit that description.

I talked to one of them from a hospital bed while getting my first round of steroids for a flare. Hospital had to monitor my blood sugar levels during the treatment. He adamantly told me how steroids are worse than any disease, and I should tell the doctor to go pound sand.

I did not argue with him even though the treatment restored the lost strength in my right leg.

I learned a long time ago that you can't win arguments with that kind.

Good on you for holding back.

Comment

I can certainly relate. Glad you kept your cool, made things better.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Good on you! You're much better than I am with that!
              PPMS
              Dx 07/13

Comment

Working...
              X